• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jongleur Music Book Publishing

Russell Brooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone had any dealings with Gary Revel of Jongleur Music Book Publishing. He expressed an interest in publishing a graphic novel version of my thriller.

Thanks,

Russell Brooks

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of people who would like to see their novels as a graphic novel, but it's a difficult enough task when you know what you're doing. After browsing his site, however, I can't find proof he has any knowledge or experience with comics.

This next bit is personal opinion: I have doubts about his ability to put together something that relies heavily upon visuals based upon the unappealing (to me) look of his websites.

If you're interested in learning more about how to make and publish graphic novels, you may want to check out the comics area. It's quiet there compared to the rest of AW, but there's some helpful people, advice and links. Novel to graphic novel - where to begin? is a good place to start.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Of the four books currently on display on Jongleurs' home page, two were written by Gary Revel and the other two were edited by him.

And that web page is fugly.

Russell Brooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I should've mentioned earlier that I contacted Gary Revel first among others and he was kind enough to look over my work. It was only right after he replied to me that I listened to an interview where a playright was suing Universal and Eddie Murphy for copyright infringement. I got paranoid and posted a question here. I meant no disrespect to Gary Revel. I was just hoping that someone who has dealt with him would reassure me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Regardless, his response indicates he's someone you don't want to work with.

Recovered:

07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
GARYREVEL
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

It might be of interest to those who have shared on this thread that Russell Brooks sent me an email requesting my permission to receive a submission of his work. When I replied that he could submit his work to me he went to this forum to seek guidance from others. Clearly he had not done his homework and was sending out requests without checking to see who he was dealing with.

Gary Revel
http://www.jongleur.us

254 207-0955

At his time I have no interest in receiving any submission from him. Anyone else who may be considering submitting anything to me should go to my Web Site and read the submission policy.

07-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Maddie
Roe Draje

Mr. Revel, hopefully you, as a businessman, would (might?) understand that this forum is used by individuals as a tool for researching the publishing business, from agents to publishing houses, etc. Part of an artist or author's "homework" is AW. It's rare for the object of an author's research to use this wonderful forum against them. I hope you didn't base your conclusion to write-off Mr. Brooks due to his understandable curiosity, which is a quality that leads many to consult the BBB for such mundane needs as car repair. Your response here at AW may possibly give those who read this thread the impression that you are hostile to the concept of being an object of research, and furthermore, may make them wonder if your business model is something to be wary of. Perhaps a more welcoming tone would be an idea to consider. I imagine if I lashed out when potential clients ask others about my business ethics, or inquire about other individuals' experiences with my company, I would soon be looking through the sofa cushions for spare change.

07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
Mr. Revel, hopefully you, as a businessman, would (might?) understand that this forum is used by individuals as a tool for researching the publishing business, from agents to publishing houses, etc. Part of an artist or author's "homework" is AW. It's rare for the object of an author's research to use this wonderful forum against them. I hope you didn't base your conclusion to write-off Mr. Brooks due to his understandable curiosity, which is a quality that leads many to consult the BBB for such mundane needs as car repair. Your response here at AW may possibly give those who read this thread the impression that you are hostile to the concept of being an object of research, and furthermore, may make them wonder if your business model is something to be wary of. Perhaps a more welcoming tone would be an idea to consider. I imagine if I lashed out when potential clients ask others about my business ethics, or inquire about other individuals' experiences with my company, I would soon be looking through the sofa cushions for spare change.

Ditto. It's always a good idea to research and find out exactly with whom one is dealing; that's good advice for everyone, including people joining internet forums.

I also strongly urge you to remove your phone number from your post here.

07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

Originally Posted by GARYREVEL View Post
Anyone else who may be considering submitting anything to me should go to my Web Site and read the submission policy.
Is this it?

I had to Google to find it.

07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

GARYREVEL:
At his time I have no interest in receiving any submission from him.
You're within your rights to do that and personally, I think that this decision means that Russell's had a lucky escape. I certainly wouldn't want to work with someone so obviously unprofessional.

GARYREVEL:
Anyone else who may be considering submitting anything to me should go to my Web Site and read the submission policy.
I'd love to but I couldn't find it on your overly convoluted website.

I did take a look at the link Julie posted and while I understand the need to protect yourself against vexatious claims:

Submission Policy:
All communications or materials you transmit to us by electronic mail or otherwise must be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. All materials received by us in this context may be used by Gary Revel and/or any of his companies or their affiliates for any purpose, including, but not limited to, reproduction, marketing, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast and posting
The text I bolded is overkill. You can put in language about ideas, but if someone has submitted actual material, you cannot possibly be serious in suggesting that the act of submission extinguishes a person's proprietary rights in it.

So really, people can do better and should do so.

MM

07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Maddie
Roe Draje

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Mr. Revel uses someone's copyrighted material, isn't that a violation of said copyright? Of course, this assumes an author/artist copyrights prior to querying...

07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
Of course, this assumes an author/artist copyrights prior to querying...
There's no need to register copyright. Copyright exists from the moment of creation.

07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
priceless1
Under a messy desk

Originally Posted by GARYREVEL View Post
It might be of interest to those who have shared on this thread that Russell Brooks sent me an email requesting my permission to receive a submission of his work...At his time I have no interest in receiving any submission from him. Anyone else who may be considering submitting anything to me should go to my Web Site and read the submission policy.
Airing your dirty laundry in a public forum? Seriously? I'm embarrassed for you.

07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Maddie
Roe Draje

Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
There's no need to register copyright. Copyright exists from the moment of creation.
Thank you for the info, Uncle James...though true, I am a person with an edge of paranoia, and grandiose ideas about my intellectual property. But I think you just saved me $35.00!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is active elsewhere, but last (non-owner) book was published in '12.

ETA: Resumed publishing others in '17, via CreateSpace.

Last edited: