Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Okay, quick (or maybe not a quick) question:

I'm helping some friends who own a small business deal with getting a web presence. They know very little about the internet and how things work. I know just a bit more than them.

The have bought a domain name and I have created a Blogger site for them, since it's reasonably easy for them to update. I want to redirect the Blogger site to their domain name. It's looking like their going to have to buy web hosting to be able to do this. Is there any really cheap alternative to this? All I need to do is point their domain name at the Blogger site.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just go to Blogger: Settings: Publishing, click on 'switch to custom domain- and then 'switch to advanced settings'. You can map a domain name to the blog without hosting it.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
They shouldn't need to buy web hosting, just set up the DNS. Log in to their account at their Dns host. There will be a place there to direct their domain name to the blog address.

ETA: I missed thatbit was Blogger. So, "What Veinglory said."
:)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hostmonster said that we'd need to purchase hosting if we wanted the Blogger to show up at that domain, so I was confused.

I went ahead and follwed Blogger's instructions like you said and I got this message -

The DNS record for your domain is not set up correctly yet. If you just purchased this domain the set up process may take up to a day. Learn more.

It seems like you could hijack any site you wanted if you could just plug the URL into your Blogger dashboard. What am I missing?

(And thanks for your help!)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've found some set-up instructions:

1. Find the control panel on your domain registrar’s website, and locate your DNS (Domain Name System) settings. In order to link your blog to your custom domain, follow the instructions below to enter your "CNAME" and "A-records."
    CNAME
    Where it says Name, simply enter "www" and list ghs.google.com as the Host Name. See our detailed instructions on providing CNAMEs for various registrars. If yours isn't listed, or if you run into other difficulties, contact your registrar directly and they can help you out.
    A-records (optional)
    The following action links your naked domain (example.com) to your actual site (www.example.com). If you skip this step, visitors who leave off the "www" will see an error page.
    Enter your domain name in the format example.com, and list the I.P. addresses shown below in the "A" section. You'll need to create four separate A-records which point to four different Google IPs.
Of course, all of this makes me cry. I hate helping people with this stuff. Invariably, they'll want to do something I don't know how to do.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
If you click on that link about "CNAMEs for various registrars" it will tell you exactly where to plug things in. I could walk you through the evil wackadoos at G0D@ddy, but other registrars have undoubtedly changed since the last time I used them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You can't hijack the domain becaise you as the owner of the domain need to sign into the place where you registered the domain and set the host name to blogger, specifically to ghs.google.com

You don't need a host. You can do it that way, but you can do it this way also. It's a bt fiddly to work out what to do but not difficult.

If Hostmonster sold you the domain and won't let you do this then I would suggest getting a refund and going with a domain host that does--because I've never heard of that. What use is a domain you can;t redirect?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Beware of buying domain names from sellers who are too eager to sell you hosting too. Hostmonster is oriented toward hosting, not domain registration. They don't, I'm sure, make it easy to get away. However, it is possible. Take notes in case you ever have to do it again!

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I wish I could be more help with specific suggestions, but so far no one has stuck me with a domain from HostMonster. All I know cums from teh serch enjin. *sad duh*

how-to-transfer-a-domain-away-from-hostmonster

and this one

I've never seen the Hostmonster conrol panel, or at least not the relevant bits.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You guys are awesome! I've been running around a bit these last two days, but I hope to get the transfer in the works later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I've never seen the Hostmonster conrol panel, or at least not the relevant bits.

They use Cpanel simular to the Bluehost set up. I don't have a current account with them but domain tools are integrated into the cpanel....my last current account with them is six months ago.

This is one of those times that godaddy has it's uses...when all you need is the domain name and not hosting that is.

Matera the Mad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Ah, so. Cpanel is good, but it's for site management, not for domain direction. That would be at a different fork in the path, and I've never been down that way at Hostmonster.

I've put up sites on quite a variety of hosts. Some of them have proprietary site control panels that are much less capable than Cpanel. Loathing for Yahoo, bad memories. Also dislike GoDaddy as host, but as a "domain shopping mall" its fine. I puchased and manage my own domain there.