Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Contests are fun, right? Right!

All links to kidlit contests go here, in this thread. Please don't forget to include all the important details: deadline/cost/etc.

Have fun and good luck! :D

(And please, one link per contest.)

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Win a copy of Through Endangered Eyes!

Is this contest thread for book giveaways, too?

Because I interviewed author/illustrator extraordinaire Rachel Allen about her picture books, and we're giving away a signed copy of Through Endangered Eyes: a poetic journey into the wild.

Enter by Friday by commenting on the post (no hoops to jump through, honest):
http://angelicarjackson.blogspot.com/2011/06/discover-dot-painting-with-rachel-allen.html

Update: The winner is melodycolleen , who neglected to give me an email so I could contact her and get her mailing address. On the chance that she found the contest through AW, I'm posting this in case she (or someone who knows her) sees it.

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think a contest is a contest, and this one works for either kind.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
well, I don't know if it's a contest, but Mary Kole is doing a thing over on her kidlit blog that sounds interesting. Tomorrow is the deadline, I think, so if you want to participate you better move.

I think she's going to tear apart book beginnings, if I can remember correctly. She talked about how important it is to hook a reader right from the start - by reader I think she's referring to agent - so she wants to help us see what not to do.

I submitted mine - and I so hope she uses it - she's only going to pick a few. But I know mine needs lots of work, so I will appreciate it if I'm so lucky.

Anyway, I hope this qualifies to post here. If not, apologies.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Oh, I wasn't discrediting the giveaway, I think it's great! I'm just having trouble finding a children's fiction contest that doesn't have an age-limit I'm over by about 10-years. (It doesn't help that magazines for children's fiction is pretty nonexistant, too)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
YAY! I won something. And it's an awesome looking book by Rachel Dillon. And it's written in rhyme, which I absolutely love. And the artwork looks amazing.

Okay - sorry to be so braggy and all, but that's really exciting for me. And it was so easy. And I feel so lucky! Now I can mow the yard with a smile on my face.

Thanks, Angelica, for posting here.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
aww, i wanted that one!!! *boo hoo*

but I guess sissy deserves to win, too...

MsArtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think I will enter the Simon & Schuster one also. It sounds like if you win you are also potentially eligible for additional payments beyond the $5000 (if you book ends up in hard copy). This will be the first writing contest I have entered.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
MsArtwriter - best of luck to you. I've thought about entering it before, but never have. I probably should, but for some reason I keep holding off.

Hope it goes well for you.

MsArtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy baby you should enter also. It only takes a couple of minutes. I find half the fun of any type of contest is entering, regardless of whether I win or not. One has to enjoy the journey.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I keep considering this, but I still have concerns about it.

I'm not trying to be smug, but here's a scenario:

Say I enter the contest, which, of course, I would want to win. But I don't win the grand prize. I win one of the $1,000 prizes instead. From the way I read their website, I receive the prize money in exchange for them publishing my story on said website. Now it's published, so no one is going to want to put it in print now, are they?

Does this just throw away my chance of further publication? I possibility don't understand all the subtleties here.

Maybe someone will come along and straighten me out! That would be a good thing.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I was worried about that too, and honestly I was just going to write one that I think would be fun to write but not one I REALLY want published seeing as it has a 500 word limit.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, (sigh) I went ahead and entered Lavender in the Cheerios contest. I hate giving up on that one, but I'll be positive and hope for the best.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Contest! Agent-judged! Cash Prize!

Judged by agent Catherine Drayton, enter your first 500 words and you could win $1000!

(I have a feeling the competition will be fierce).

Open until mid-August.

http://writeoncon.com/2011/07/do-you-want-to-win-1000/

(I just read the contest rules, and I'm a bit confused about #7 - that entries become the property of The Reading Room (Sponsor of the contest). Will check it out, but that does not sound good.)

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could do Cheerios. My one work for hire in another country makes me published.

For those worried about second place. First, nothing says S&S can't pub it as a book as I recall. Second, you could put that contest info in your cover letter. A smaller press may love it and not be bothered by the web presence. An editor of a larger press may see it online and say, "I can't believe they aren't putting this into a book." If nothing else, it builds your resume and you are $1000 richer. How bad could that be?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's only a bad thing if that's your one and only story. Which we all know isn't the way to work, right? Having one story published by Cheerios helps you sell the next story.

Cynthiab

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tvoftheabsurd.com
TakePart.com and The Help (movie) are sponsoring a Children's story writing contest. From now until Aug 15, 2011. Enter an under 400 word story that promotes positive values.

The winner will have their story professionally illustrated and made into an e-book. Former Sesame Street head writer Lou Berger is the judge.

Enter here: http://www.takepart.com/thehelp

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The AW Kidlit Writing Contest

See rules here.

Grand prize:

1. An autographed copy of The Boy Who Howled, by Timothy Power.
2. A copy of Absolute Poetry, written by the fabulous poets of AW.
3. A copy of Summer on Fire, by Kevin Craig.
4. $50.00 Amazon gift certificate.

Second place:

1. A $25.00 gift card to Amazon.

Third place:

1. A $15.00 gift card to Amazon.

Deadline for entries is August 20, 2011! Good luck! :D

Last edited:

intjkate

Registered
Reaction score
I am intersted in finding some contests to enter my novel into (middle school).

I entered this novel into two contests previously: the ABNA contest and the NAESP National Children's Book of the Year Contest. I am getting ready now to enter it into the Times Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2012. Just wondering if anybody knows of any other contests.
I hope I have put this question in the right place. I am still a bit confused getting around here.
Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.