• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Unbridled Books

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of them, but they look like they know what they're doing.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
A reputable publisher. They are a nice outfit that puts out some great books. I sent chapters and a query for a literary novel to Fred Ramey in 2010 and received a nice, polite rejection this January.

ETA:They are selling 25 ebooks for 25 cents through tomorrow. A steal.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rats, I missed the 25c sale :-(

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned to my local indie bookstore owner that I had submitted a novel query to them and her response was something to the effect of that publishing with them would be like grabbing the brass ring of small presses. She thought VERY highly of them. They have established a fine reputation in a short time.

Alias Octavia: How long did it take for them to respond to your query?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I mentioned to my local indie bookstore owner that I had submitted a novel query to them and her response was something to the effect of that publishing with them would be like grabbing the brass ring of small presses. She thought VERY highly of them. They have established a fine reputation in a short time.

I personally would not assume that a bookstore owner knows what a publishers authors are earning. Their amazon sales ranks suggest sluggish online sales. How many of their books did she have in stock? Because that would be more telling, if indy stores are ordering them by the gross.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Unbridled is an excellent small press. They publish literary fiction, so I can't imagine that their writers make money hand over fist, but their books are reviewed in Publishers Weekly, New York Times, People, and other prestigious and popular outlets. I checked out The C0ffins of L1tt1e H0pe from my library -- pretty good.

Last edited:

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
I personally would not assume that a bookstore owner knows what a publishers authors are earning. Their amazon sales ranks suggest sluggish online sales. How many of their books did she have in stock? Because that would be more telling, if indy stores are ordering them by the gross.
I didn't take her comment as saying that their authors are making tons of money. (Seriously, very few writers are making a ton of money writing literary fiction.) But as a smart bookseller, she knows what small presses are putting out good books and are well respected. Having my book accepted by a strong indie press with an excellent reputation for both great books and taking care of its writers would indeed be grabbing the brass ring. For me, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree with you if anyone had used the phrase "meal ticket."

Unbridled's Coffins of Little Hope was recently on the Indie Bound bestseller list, so they appear to be selling well in the indie bookstore world.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I queried 8/3, followed submission guidelines, which at the time was a query, synopsis, and first chapter snail mailed to Fred Ramey.

I just now checked and they're saying:
For works of fiction,
please query first by email. Due to the heavy volume of submissions, we regret that at this time we aren’t able to consider uninvited manuscripts.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I queried 8/3, followed submission guidelines, which at the time was a query, synopsis, and first chapter snail mailed to Fred Ramey.

I just now checked and they're saying:
For works of fiction,
please query first by email. Due to the heavy volume of submissions, we regret that at this time we aren’t able to consider uninvited manuscripts.

They mean full manuscripts. I'm sure your submission falls within the guidelines.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I am late in responding to this thread, but I sent my query and 1st chapter in February 2010 and received a rejection (but a kind one) in January 2011. It took a while.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sorry I am late in responding to this thread, but I sent my query and 1st chapter in February 2010 and received a rejection (but a kind one) in January 2011. It took a while.
Wow! Postage on my SASE will've gone up by the time I get my "kind" rejection. Unbridled is among the last of my dwindling top tier smallpress submissions yet to reject. On to Tier 2...

Thanks for the update!

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who queried by email, did you send pages as an attachment?

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chumplet.

Yeah, augusto, I hate it when they don't specify, it leaves more room for anxiety to run wild.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
If it doesn't specifically say to attach, assume it's a paste. If it's a full, publishers & agencies usually say to attach a file or they have some sort of uploading option.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I know a writer who followed Fred Ramey from Penguin (I think?) to Unbridled. They put out some really gorgeous editions of his work, and they seem to believe in literary fiction.