Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kindle "Singles"

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a synopsis/cover letter for amazon singles. Does anyone have an example I could read? Thanks everyone. What should you include in a letter to them? Anything I should no before submitting? (It could take a few weeks to write/review cover letter and full edit my story)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The border between Stripmallville and cow tipping country
    Just got a rejection today. Waited four weeks for it, almost to the day. It was definitely a literary story. What I see a lot more of on Singles are mysteries, thrillers, and sci-fi, at least in terms of fiction.

Oh, well. I knew it was a long shot!

Proud Literary Sadist justbishop's Avatar
    Subbed a ~24k word YA contemporary novella today. Will report results when I hear anything
    WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Pushingfordream View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a synopsis/cover letter for amazon singles. Does anyone have an example I could read? Thanks everyone. What should you include in a letter to them? Anything I should no before submitting? (It could take a few weeks to write/review cover letter and full edit my story)
    I think my cover letters for singles were standard short-story setups (genre, title, wordcount)...which might explain why they were all rejected.

That said, if you have a full synopsis and/or query, consider posting it in Query Letter Hell. Or at least browse through the threads there and apply the advice to your own. And don't overthink it--at this length, the story is the most important thing.
    Last edited by MumblingSage; 08-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Story Addict/Library/Facebook/Fiverr
    Currently: Fantasy novel, short fiction, and Freelance Editing
    TC Mill /Library
    Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs and 2 anthologies
    Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
    Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    What are the possible advantages of being listed as a Kindle Single?

Is this a downfall? (still learning)

And could you list them?

And does Kindle do picture books?

Thank you!

Terri
    I'm not middle aged. I'm middle seasoned. TL Wies

Check out my etsy shop!
    Awesome new stuff just posted! TerriberriOriginals.etsy.com

Now that the hard stuff is out of the way, the easy stuff should be all up hill. TL Wies

The tallest mountain you will ever climb is getting over yourself.

I actually sold my novella elsewhere shortly after I subbed to the Singles program, sent emails to the few places still (I assumed) considering it, and got an acknowledgement back from Kindle the same day. Then today I got another congrats email from another Singles editor inviting me to submit future work directly to him. Is that the norm in this sort of situation?
    Last edited by justbishop; 09-27-2013 at 12:04 AM.

practical experience, FTW LawrenceElliott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
    I actually sold my novella elsewhere shortly after I subbed to the Singles program, sent emails to the few places still (I assumed) considering it, and got an acknowledgement back from Kindle the same day. Then today I got another congrats email from another Singles editor inviting me to submit future work directly to him. Is that the norm in this sort of situation?
    Are you saying you sold it to another publisher and they'll be marketing through the official Kindle Singles program? Or did an editor who actually works for Kindles Singles contacted you?

This is interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceElliott View Post
    Are you saying you sold it to another publisher and they'll be marketing through the official Kindle Singles program? Or did an editor who actually works for Kindles Singles contacted you?

This is interesting...
    NOpe, it sold to Evernight Teen, who will distribute it as an ebook through Amazon (KDP), B&N, Kobo, and various other outlets.

The same-day (Aug 26) email I received after notifying them that the manuscript was no longer available seemed like a fairly normal "thanks for telling us" thing:

Hello Ashley,

We appreciate you informing us.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle Singles and we look forward to hearing from you in future.

.................................................. .............
    Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    [survey URL removed]

If no, please click here:
    [survey URL removed]
    .................................................. .............

Regards,

[First name, last initial of responder]
    Kindle Direct Publishing
    http://kdp.amazon.com
    =============================
    Connect with KDP and other Authors and Publishers:
    Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KindleDirectPublishing
    Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/AmazonKDP
    I thought that was that, but here's what I found in my inbox this morning:

Hi Ashley,

Congratulations!

Please do not hesitate to send future work directly to me,[Name of responder removed], at [personal email address removed].

Best of luck.

[Name of responder removed]

Best,

Associate Editor, Kindle Singles
    www.amazon.com/kindlesingles
    Just wondering if it could mean that the MS was read anyway and they really liked it or something. Not that it makes a difference for the story in question, but it'd be nice to know if it's an indication that they enjoyed my writing and I'll have a bit of an edge should I send them anything else going forward...
    Last edited by justbishop; 09-27-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
    they enjoyed my writing and I'll have a bit of an edge should I send them anything else going forward...
    That is what I thought when I read it. So double congratulations! I think he/she is giving you an email addy to avoid the general slush pile next time. Definitely sounds like they liked it to me.

Ok, so maybe I'm not insane...I kept telling myself that could not possibly be what was going on, but if even one other person sees it that way, I'll take it!

If only I had another novella, lol...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Anybody know what more recent turnaround has been? The Submission Grinder doesn't have much data. Yesterday my submission hit the six week mark. I know they're considering it still because I queried to see if including the story in my upcoming collection being self-published to Kindle and paperback would disqualify my submission and they replied that it wouldn't. Although, now I'm still a little perplexed about something. That reply came from KDP support and not a Kindle Singles editor even though I sent it directly to the Kindle Singles email. Weird. So, who knows. Keeping my fingers crossed regardless...

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    One thing I'm unsure of, maybe someone can answer the question, is this like a micro-publisher? Your work has to be vetted through their editors, but do they then do editing or cover art? Or is it still up to you to do that and this is more a bonus where they hold your work up and give it Amazon's seal of approval?
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

Current WIP's
    Hannah - Looking for clothes. (Cover art)

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

practical experience, FTW
    You do your own covers.

I haven't heard of them doing any editing on accepted items but I wouldn't be surprised if they pointed out anything minor they notice in the review process.

Generally, you just self-pub it first, and then submit the details.

(They do accept direct submissions, but there's no advantage to doing so. The only people I know that have had things accepted published them first through KDP.)

The advantages are 70% royalty rate on items priced less than $2.99, and some marketing push from Amazon.
    Last edited by J. Tanner; 10-05-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    J. Tanner vs the Page

Latest Publication: "Bring Me the Head of Pepe Cortez!" in Return of the Dead Men Walking (anthlogy)
    Latest Sale: "Reunion Soup" to [title unannounced] fantasy anthology coming somewhenish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123