AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which came first?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Miss Moo's Avatar

Which came first?

Your title or your story?

I was making the bed this morning and a terrific title popped into my mind after I did something silly......now all I need is the story to go with it!

So, which comes first for you......the title or the story?

If I have a great story, I am terrible at coming up with equally great titles!

If I think of a great title, I wrack my brain trying to come up with any kind of story.
    ~* Kelsey *~

fluently sarcastic grandma offender ladyleeona's Avatar
    Definitely the story, at least with my current WIP. In fact, calling it 'Untitled' for the first 15k nearly drove me INSANE.

But, like you noted, the perfect title came to me at the most random moment, so we be 'untitled' no more
    site here /// tumblr here /// tweet here.

writing these words, laying siege to those dreams

Soldier, Storyteller Linda Adams's Avatar
    Story first. The title has changed three times since I started.
    Soldier, Storyteller | AW Library: Short Fiction

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark

Definitely the story.

I'm well over 30K words in my WIP with no inkling of a title. It's not the first MS I've worked on like that, and it won't be the last. I'm terrible at coming up with titles. Heck, I struggle enough with character names!

"Nobody likes a clown at midnight." - Stephen King
    "Neither love nor evil conquers all, but evil cheats more." - Laurell K. Hamilton

I heart sexy elves and wizards. fredXgeorge's Avatar
    Definitely story. I suck at titles. Usually for most of my first drafts it's just called the MC's name.
    Twitter

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
    - J.K. Rowling

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Miss Moo's Avatar
    Interesting to see so many who have the story first. Now I have this title stuck in my head but I have no idea how to write the story to go with it! I guess now I have something new to work on, or at least, to try to work on.

Retired Illuminatus dangerousbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moo View Post

I was making the bed this morning and a terrific title popped into my mind after I did something silly......now all I need is the story to go with it!
    Me, too. About six months ago, the perfect title, but alas, no story to go with it. I'm still searching, though.
    Dangerous Bill

'Lessons for a Dominant Woman' - A woman's journey, breaking out of the abused wife trap to enslaving her college professor. Romantic realistic femdom. A prequel to 'Lessons at the Edge' CAUTION: Explicit, 18+
    http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Domina...=william+gaius

practical experience, FTW froley's Avatar
    Definitely story. Neither of my novel-length WIPs have proper titles yet.

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer BRDurkin's Avatar
    I generally have at least a pretty solid premise for a story before I have the title. The title usually comes before I do any planning or outlining for the story, and I pick something that will help define what I want the story to be about. However, I don't limit myself to that; it's subject to change as the project evolves.
    Latest Blog Post - Finally! (01-27-14)

Twitter

WIPs:
    Kricket's Key - 65,525/90,000 (Steampunk Fantasy)

Into the Shade - 27,849/75,000 (Military Sci-Fi Thriller)

"Abyss" - Sci-fi Short for Kindle

Story, most of the time. My WIP's title changes almost every time I open the file. When it's done, I might hold a name-that-novel contest.

But now and then, a title will pop into my head, and then life is easy, because the titles that come unbidden bring stories with them. ... Of course, eventually, most of those turn into artworks instead of books... hrm... might have to work on that.
    Hell is other people. -- Jean Paul Sartre

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
    Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
    Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
    Me on Facebook.

When I was in fifth grade and just started writing, it was always the title. I'd think of something that I thought sounded completely awesome and say "man, I can't wait to write that!" even if there was no story to go with it.

Now, I can't think of titles for the life of me. Both my trunked novel and my WIP had the story come first, and I never finished one I just thought of the title for, proving that I need more than a title to make a story.

Sometimes the story comes first, and sometimes the title comes first. If the story comes first then I wait until the story is complete and try to give it a title that tells the reader an idea about what the story is about. If the title comes first, then ideas usually follow (of course sometimes the title still ends up changing before the story's complete.

permaflounced
    About a third of the time, the title comes to me either before the story or at essentially the same time—right along with the premise anyway. About a third of the time, the title comes fairly easily well before the novel is finished. And that last third, ugh. I go through title after title and nothing seems right.

I also have a list of titles in my idea files, that have no stories to go with them yet.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The title comes first for me...

practical experience, FTW
    Depends. I've had both happen. Sometime in the distant past I saw an interview from the late best-seller factory novelist Harold Robbins that he started from titles and went forward.

practical experience, FTW Arcadia Divine's Avatar
    It depends for me. Most of the time I just pick a key phrase and wait for the title until I get far enough into the book to where I can come up with an appropriate title.
    Everything bound to life dies eventually.

practical experience, FTW Lainey's Avatar
    The story almost always comes first for me - I'm terrible at titles. :P

Don't get it right, just get it written.
    - James Thurber

Nine times out of ten, it's story first for me. The title comes when the story develops.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    I usually struggle with titles, so the story usually comes first, and, for me at least, the title will come to me as a work on it. Usually it comes from the text itself - a word of phrase that is used that just sums up what it's all about.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Story, and then I find a good title after suitably developing plot, sub-plot and character.
    The Speculator: On submission.
    Aelia: Work In Progress

So, which comes first for you......the title or the story?
    Usually the story, but this has happened to before too. Luckily, I had a very vague, extremely short outline of another story lying around which I managed to alter to fit the title.

Story.

I have four novels in various stages of completion. Only one of them has a title, and I'm not even happy with that.

I have a much easier time naming short stories, but the story still comes before the title.
    Blogging at The Doubting Writer

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

The grad students did it NeuroFizz's Avatar
    A catchy title may be the nucleating agent for a story, but by the time one finishes a novel-length project, that original title may not hold up. It has still served its purpose by getting the story going, though. Publishing companies can suggest title changes, and I seem to remember some wording to that effect in a contract some time ago.

For me, it's story first, and the title emerges from that story. If a title comes early on, it is considered a working title until the story is complete.
    Phoenix (Historical - 2006)First Place, 2007 Arizona Authors Assoc. Book Awards Whiskey Creek Press
    Something Bad (Horror - 2007) Medallion Press. Silver Medal, 2008 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Rollicking Anthropomorphisms (Poetry Collection - 2008) 2009 EPPIE Award Finalist Whiskey Creek Press
    Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
    3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

It's always the story first for me. For my current novel, I referred to it as "Emily's story" until it was finished. Then I came up with a title, which I have since changed. Now that I'm almost done editing, the title may change again.
    Shards of Glass ~ Revising based on beta feedback.
    Rekindle ~ Working Title ~ 8,695 words. ON HOLD.

THIS IS LIFE (My Blog)
    Sharing God's Truth (A Devotional Blog)

And I Tweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast