• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Inkubate

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
Some anonymous writer astroturfed at Huffington Post today, mentioning Inkubate and Pubslush as ways for writers to get published. More positive for Inkubate, of course. The promise that publishers and agents will actually pay to read writer samples posted on Inkubate is repeated there. And on Inkubate's Facebook page, they profusely thank two folks at HuffPo for the "article". I think it's easy to see who wrote that one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...shed-websites-pubslush-inkubate_n_997068.html
I'm glad to see that you interjected some common sense in the comments section. Hopefully a few more writers will be prompted to check out sites like AW and Writer Beware.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I hope a few writers saw Jay Gale's Tweets before he deleted them. Telling somebody they could have written an article that wasn't riddled with errors if they'd spoken to him and telling them they "missed the boat"?
He's also deleted his side of his exchange with lovely Victoria Strauss and Janet Reid. Started out with something along the lines of "Instead of just speculating, you could try asking me". And yes, it was phrased like that.

Even if this site worked exactly as it is intended to, why would I want to enable any agent or publisher at all to negotiate with me? It assumes a writer ought to be happy to accept any deal they are offered.

thorjansen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesentinelsson.blogspot.com
I'm glad to see that you interjected some common sense in the comments section. Hopefully a few more writers will be prompted to check out sites like AW and Writer Beware.

Thanks. I posted there to help fight the good fight, but that's not my aim. I really just want to finish my manuscript and get it sent off and (hopefully) bought. The good folks behind AW, WB and P&E do a bang-up job, and I think it's good to keep pointing people to these sites whenever possible, to help other writers learn the awful truth about the many shysters out there, who exist solely to milk their wallets and purses dry.

And it really chaps my hide when I see deliberately misleading puff pieces written by non-reporters (and PR people) being passed off as legit news. HuffPo has never really been a very trustworthy source in some areas, but they've really gone to the dogs in the books section lately.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I have had an email from Jay Gale, Principle, Publisher Relations of Inkubate LLC. I believe he has read this thread and found my email via the (hiated) blog linked to in my sig.

I've recommended he join AW and address the concerns raised in this thread. I've also asked him the following (quoted from the reply I have sent him):

Who are the agents and publishers you have signed up for Inkubate?
What success has Inkubate so far had? Have any deals been offered? Have any been struck?
How do you intend to monetise Inkubate? Do you intend to charge writers, or do you intend to charge Agents and Publishers?
What do you offer me that I cannot do myself?

I'll let you know the answers to these questions if I get them. If anybody has any questions, he has said he is always available to answer them. He has also stated his dislike of idle speculation. If anybody has anything to ask him and can't find his email on the Inkubate website, PM me and I'll give you the one he's contacted me from.

*end of public service announcement*

jkababy

Children, ready yourselves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkabay.com
Glad to find this thread. Stacey pitched Inkubate to our writer's group last week. I really liked the idea of Inkubate and had questions for her after our meeting. But when I approached her she was so busy handing out Inkubate literature she literally couldn't finish a sentence. She interrupted me mid question to make sure people took marketing packets. And then when I introduced myself to say thanks and good bye she mispronounced my name back to me. So either she's hard of hearing or really didn't hear a word I said. Kinda hurt my feelings. I was genuinely interested in her product too. Was.

francisbruno

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
He also stopped showing up at the Writers Night out in Portsmouth held on the first Monday of every month. He came one more time way back when and then no longer showed.

francisbruno

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
The site was running. There was some talk of people using it a meeting or two after Jay stopped coming. Nothing as of late.

francisbruno

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
They're now hosting a Literary Blockbuster Challenge: http://www.inkubate.com/Home/Contest
It seems like all the prizes consist of being reviewed by an agent or publisher plus some cash. If the site is working as advertised, wouldn't the uploads be reviewed by the mainstream agents and publishers anyways?

GailSulmers

Registered
Reaction score
new writer

OK guys, I'm very new to all of this. I Have just completed my first novel, and I found the Inkubate site, which advertises a contest that closes in a week. I went ahead and joined and uploaded my novel for consideration. Should I take it off? Exactly what am I risking? Should I worry about copyright issues? Just in case I get lucky and win the competition, wouldn't that look good on my resume?

GailSulmers

Registered
Reaction score
Atlanta writer

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know anything about Inkubate? I'm new to all this, but I recently finished writing my first novel and I'm now starting on my phD in "How to Publish a Novel." I stumbled onto the Inkubate website, which is holding a contest that closes next week. There are only four threads here at the watercooler that refer to it, and none are recent. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Are they legitimate and do I have anything to fear by entering? There is no fee required.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moving to Bewares and Backgrounds