POV Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've recently become interested in giving shorts a try, and have come to respect them even more. Not as easy to write them as I thought in my ignorance.

Anyways, which point of view is recommended. I know it should be whatever the story calls for but I've noticed that a lot of the shorts I've read recently are in first. Does this point of view engage the reader into the story more than the others?

Thanks in advance and I'm open to all advice should someone be so inclined to give any. :D

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the genre. I read lots of fantasy and they are usually in 3rd person or omni. But they are by no means limited to those.

1st can work well if you know how to apply without the reader getting a bad case of I did this followed by and I did that syndrome...

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You already know the answer. ;)

Any story, whether it's a short or a novel, can be engaging in any POV. So, use the POV that a) works for the story, and b) works with your particular personal style (for example, I tend to write in first, present. I sometimes use other POV/tense choices, but my stories tend to naturally come to be in first, present. That's my personal style).

Write a compelling story. POV and tense should fade into the background. If readers are focusing on your POV/tense instead of the actual story, something's wrong with the story.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Thoth: I actually don't like to write or read in first. I think my genre of choice will be sci-fi/fantasy and different variations of. Most of the stories I've read recently where from Clarksworld so I started to wonder if 1st person was something they preferred.

Smish: I agree I should write a compelling story. I was just curious if readers related to any of the pov's better. Noob

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smish: I agree I should write a compelling story. I was just curious if readers related to any of the pov's better. Noob

Every reader is going to have his or her own preferences. You can't please everyone.

Just write. Too often, writers get hung up on the smaller details, and never get their stories written. I'm guilty of that, myself. I get hung up on opening paragraphs, and sometimes it takes days or weeks for me to move on.

I have no preference so long as the PoV is engaging, and that includes omni...

Likewise.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Good advice from all. I just wanted to add that you can always go back and change the POV. I've found that several stories I started in one POV were eventually changed to another in revision. Just get the story out then tinker.

Off to go take my own advice...

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, have a question to add...is their a target age range for the MC of speculative fiction genres?

Eldrich

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just speaking for myself, but I think different aged protagonists can add some interesting perspectives to the stories.

For some reason, only movies are coming to mind. I think very young girl is a particular trope, My neighbor Totoro, or whatever that was called, Spirited Away, (I think this does go beyond Miyazaki, but that's what's coming to mind)

and I think there Disney/Pixar's UP was very interestingly about a much older man, (also had a very young boy), and the other weird example that comes to mine is the really old couple in Batteries Not Included.

But if I had to guess, I'd say the majority of stories feature young adults, in their 20s and 30s. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.