Copywriting

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
I already do freelance copywriting for an agency and the pay is mediocre. I want to get my own clients although I am not sure of the most effective ways of going about this.

Are there any copywriters here who could advise?

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Jump on twitter and follow some of the masters: @ticewrites, @edgandia, @copyblogger are some of my favorites. All check out the "International Freelancers Academy." And read "The Wealthy Freelancer" by Steve Slaunwhite * Ed Gandia or "The Well-Fed Writer," by Peter Bowerman. Good luck!

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Seconds the Cleopatra Jones reading list.

When I wanted to do more copywriting, I made a list of businesses in my area that I thought might be a good match (hospitals, universities, graphic designers, etc.) and started calling them one by one.

I asked if they hired copywriters and if I could send over a link to my site.

It took me about a month and 450 calls, but I'm now slammed -- I have all the work I can reasonably handle and then some.

I too have run into agencies that want to pay me less than my going rate, but I wouldn't overlook agencies altogether. There are many out there that are willing to pay writers well.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
Starkers,

Your agency work has given you some clips/samples that you can use to get your own clients. I would recommend reading some books by Bob Bly. He is a copywriting king and his books are very well written and easy to read/understand. He also includes many sample letters and correspondence that will help you get started.

I've done some copywriting work for colleges, universities, and non-profits. I did some Internet research to figure out who their marketing communications contacts were and then emailed them my letter of introduction (LOI).

Be prepared to consistently follow up with your "warm" leads -- those who reply and say that they do use freelancers, but don't have any projects at this time. I landed a university client last year with this approach. Every few months I'd check in with my contact. While that can sometimes feel like you're being a pest, you have to keep your name in front of your warm leads. Finally, she contacted me "out of the blue" with an assignment. So persistence pays off here.

When I was starting out I asked experienced copywriters on another forum if e-mailed LOIs was a good idea. 99% of them said yes.

I had debated sending snail mail letters, but could never get it together with those. I'm such an email/Internet person.

You'll just have to try out different marketing methods (cold calling, emailing, snail letters, brochures, etc.) and see what works for you. If you don't have a lot of money to invest, email is always there.

PS. Bob Bly's book that I love is called "Secrets of a Freelance Writer: How To Make $100,000 a Year or More." Very good resource!

Good luck!

starkers

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies. You've given me some useful ideas that I intend to try soon.