New author epublishing results after 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Self-publishing sales results after 11 months selling ebooks

It’s been 3 months since I posted my sales here. Since that time my sales have declined, as the charts below show. But, I’m still making some pretty good money.

For those of you who are interested in what a newbie self-publishing author’s sales might look like, here are my up to date sales numbers for my self-publishing efforts over the last 11 months. In this time I’ve sold 11,023 copies of 4 e-titles, earning about $9,700 in gross royalties and about $4,500 in profit.

First, here are the monthly sales charts:

2011_08_AugSales.jpg

2011_08_Aug_Royalties.jpg

And for those of you interested in daily data:
2011_08_AugDaily.jpg

As you can see, I’ve had a significant downturn in sales over the summer.

I’ve discussed this on my blog and various commenters have suggested the following causes:

1. Summer slump in reading. This would seem logical if the sale of other books also slumped. But, my Amazon sales rank has slid down into the 6000-7000 range, which means other books are still selling. I don’t think I can attribute the downturn to this.

2. Amazon sales on other ebooks. Amazon has had two sales this summer, dropping ebook prices down to 99 cents on many titles. This could be enough to knock my best-selling book, Dead Dwarves Don’t Dance, out of the few top 20 lists it was in.

3. New Amazon sales rank algorithm. Someone said that Amazon changes how they calculate sales rank from time to time. I did not know this, but if true it certainly seems like it could alter my sales. A new algorithm that drops me out of the top 20 lists could result in my slow slide.

4. My pricing experiment. You can see the spike in sales in the daily $ chart. That’s when I experimented with raising the price of Dead Dwarves Don’t Dance to $2.99. It was quite successful profit wise, earning me nearly $3000 in one month. However, when I lowered the price again to 99 cents, unit sales never quite recovered. Could this have set me on my downward slide?

5. Audience saturation. Having sold about 6,800 copies of Dead Dwarves Don’t Dance, have I reached the majority of my audience? How many fans of genetically engineered dwarf assassin stories of redemption are there? Surely with the millions of ereaders out there my potential audience is more than a few thousand.

However, even though I’ve seen a decline in sales, I’m still making some good money. If things continue at the slow pace of August, I should still earn about $12,500 in gross royalties for 2011. Not too shabby for my first full year as an author.

That’s my report. I hope your sales are doing at least as well as mine or better!

Notes:

I’m looking forward to what happens in my second year of publishing. Will summer always show a slump in sales? Or will next summer be different? I’ll have 2 more books released by then, so maybe they’ll help sell my current titles.

My young adult action/adventure, The Elemental Odyssey, is not shooting off the shelves despite very good reviews so far. Obviously, the SF readership from my Dead Dwarves Don't Dance book are not crossing over to buy my YA novel. Conclusion: not all genres promote each other. I’ll be releasing the sequel to The Elemental Odyssey in time for the holidays. Hopefully, all those Harry Potter fans and their new ereaders will check out my magical adventure stories.

My how-to book, How to Format Your eBook for Kindle in One Hour, is still selling about 5 to 16 copies a day. It’s also my best-selling book in England. The success of this book really makes me think I should put out another how to book, but they just aren’t as fun to write as fiction. J

Last edited:

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
Thank you a million times over for sharing your data. I was particularly interested by your pricing experiment. Is it correct to say that your unit sales were going up steadily at a lower price (99 cents?), then dropped precipitously when you raised the price to $2.99 (although your profits increased nonetheless), but that the unit sales didn't pick up again when you lowered the price back down?

It seems you did well initially at both prices (rapidly growing sales volume at 99 cents; high profits at $2.99), but that the second price change threw people off. Maybe too much price changing is a bad thing -- it confuses people.

Your experience is a little different from other stories I've read. Two self-pubbers I read about said when they cut the price from $2.99 to 99 cents their unit sales increased twenty fold, so their profitability skyrocketed just due to selliing more books. But not everyone has that experience.

Hmm... what to do?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
To the OP: If you want people to read your posts, you might want to use a font size that people can actually read. Like, yanno, the default one.

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
To the OP: If you want people to read your posts, you might want to use a font size that people can actually read. Like, yanno, the default one.

When you cut and paste it doesnt default to the same font.

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
Derek,

Congratulations. Looks impressive. I'm curious. Why did you lower your price when you were making more profit at the higher price?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
When you cut and paste it doesnt default to the same font.

So what? It's still the poster's responsibility to ensure readability if they want the widest possible pool of respondents. ESPECIALLY if someone is self-publishing, knowing how to present information in a readable form is a key skill.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
For those of you who are interested in what a newbie self-publishing authors sales might look like, here are my up to date sales numbers for my self-publishing efforts over the last 11 months. In this time Ive sold 11,023 copies of 4 e-titles, earning about $9,700 in gross royalties and about $4,500 in profit.

Hmmn. So most of the time you sold at $0.99, yes? I've been hearing that it's best to start at $2.99 and then drop in stages. You started at 0.99 and raised it briefly then dropped it again. Interesting.

Audience saturation. Having sold about 6,800 copies of Dead Dwarves Dont Dance, have I reached the majority of my audience? How many fans of genetically engineered dwarf assassin stories of redemption are there? Surely with the millions of ereaders out there my potential audience is more than a few thousand.

6,800 isn't bad, but it isn't stellar. The good news is that sales of your other books haven't hit that ceiling so they might still creep up there.

Tell me, what advertising did you do? Did you have any help in getting the word out about your novels?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
So were most of the sales you received after you jumped into the bestseller list? I'm just trying to determine if that might have been the biggest factor in your huge sales for that month. It makes sense as it puts your book up front and center but is also a pretty good guarantee of "other people liked this book, you should check it out, too!"

Is your book linked to any others on Amazon? Also, do you sell on other sites and have those sales matched the trends at Amazon, or have they followed their own sets of highs and lows?

Thank you so much for sharing this data.

pengwinz

Roadtripper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhowebooks.com

I didn't have any trouble with it. Sure, a bit small, but not enough to make me stop reading.

TY, DJC, for posting this. Always great to see what other people are trying. Quick question, as I'm not self-pubbing (though keeping my eyes peeled and ears tuned to the trends): Are these analytics provided by Amazon? Just curious.

For anyone interested, my writing partner is starting a new self-pub experiment focusing on selling several short stories to garner interest in his upcoming novel. He'll be writing about it next week on our blog. I'll have him repost here and elewhere when it goes live.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I literally can't read it. Pretty pictures with jagged lines is all I can make out.

Please, take the time to read the guide for posts and edit to make your font no smaller than AW's default. Yes, I know how to enlarge the display for the whole site in order to read your post, but I shouldn't have to.

Maryn, squinting through her glasses

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Excellent data, Derek - I hate to ask for fear of being accused of being a downer again but what did you spend on covers, editing and publicity up to this point?

I'm sure you're well into a profit but I think it's important to point out your initial investment and how looking professional really makes a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Great analysis, probably something that many people would like to really study and think about for their own self-pub efforts - thanks for taking the time to post it.

I echo the request that it be edited to a larger font size.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Annetpfeffer,

Sales at 99 cents were going steadily up until a week before I raised the price. I saw my sales rank reach #333 on Amazon, but then start to get worse. After about a week of declining sales, I decided to raise the price while I was still in the top #20 in some genre lists. Unit sales then continued to decline, but $ revenue increased dramatically.

I kept the price at $2.99 for a while. When I set it back to 99 cents, the sales continued to decline, possibly for the reasons mentioned in my OP. I can’t be sure, though, because there are too many variables to make a clear cut call. I do think that falling out of the #20 made it difficult to recover.

I’m not sure if people are confused by price changes. For low-priced ebooks I’m guessing that most people don’t do a lot of price comparison or waiting. It’s an impulse buy.

As for differences in pricing changes between books, other factors include genre, time of year, fan base, and so on. Were the self-pubbers you mention in a popuplar genre? Did they have many books already out? A huge fan base?

Terie,

I’ve increased the font size.

AP7,

Why did I lower my price when I was making more money profit at the higher price? I had dropped out of the top #20 in the genre lists. Also, profit at $2.99 had declined to around the level of profit I had previously made at 99 cents. So, I decided to drop the price back down to 99 cents, hoping to build sales back up to their previous 99 cent levels. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened yet.

RemusShepard,

I have spent about $250 on paid advertising on Bing, Google, and Kindle Boards. No discernable increase in sales from this.

As for non-paid, I have my blog, facebook, and twitter accounts. I post on a few other other blogs, cyberpunk forums, etc.

Related blog posts:
Is it worth spending $$ to advertise a self-pubbed ebook?
Kindleboards advertising results
Do paid ads cause more sales?
Do author blogs cause book sales?
Other unpaid advertising results

Kaitie,

When I started hitting the top #20 lists for a few genres I did see an increase in sales. Like you, I believe that being in any top #20 list is incredibly powerful advertising. It puts you on the front page of a list of books.

My books are on other books’ Also bought lists.

I sell on Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble. In the same time that I’ve sold 11,000 books on Amazon, I’ve sold 11 on Smashwords and 24 on Barnes and Noble.

pengwinz,

Amazon provides month-to-date numbers only. I have to monitor those reports and manually record the changes per day to catch the daily data. I do all the analysis myself in an Excel spreadsheet.

Sheryl Nantus,

Total expenses on covers, editing, and publicity so far is about $5,000, leaving me with about $4,500 profit.

Juniper,

Your avatar picture looks just like our long-haired Chihuahua! Does your dog have caramel spots?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the data, and congratulations on the success. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that's affecting ebook sales this summer is Borders going out of business. A lot of people are taking their book-buying money to the sales at Borders.

I've seen it with hardcopy books too. The new releases aren't part of the Borders sale. So I have friends who complained about sales when the first round of Borders closed because they weren't getting the expected sales in their first month of publication. But then the 2nd round of Borders closed and they were in those stores, and they saw a surge of sales. But I suspect that ebooks suffer from those sales all around.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
I wish I could help you figure it out, but since my busy season is apparently the opposite of yours, the only constructive criticism I have is that your busy season is probably right around the corner (holiday shoppers).

I publish non-fiction educational stuff, so for me the summer has been beyond fantastic in sales - about $12,000 in the last three months. But my sales take a series dump from February-April, right before it gets busy again. The other months are all pretty average.

I have three years of data now and this is my pattern - it is very consistent even though my sales have increased every month of every year. The ratio of high, low, and average sales months has remained the same with very little deviation. It is nice to know what to expect from month to month as far as income goes.

Your second year will tell you exactly what's going on, so if next summer you have the same pattern, you'll know this is normal. If not, you should begin to figure out where you went wrong. Maybe the pricing test was a mistake, but it will be hard to know until next year.

Also, your data presentation is fantastic! :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I publish non-fiction educational stuff, so for me the summer has been beyond fantastic in sales - about $12,000 in the last three months.

That's great, ColoradoMom--well done. Even though you know this is your high season you've still sold a shedload.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
Thanks for sharing this, and I love your graphs--how did you do them?

I have heard on the Kindleboards that summer doldrums had hit quite a few people, so I don't think it can be author saturation. I think Sage mentioned Borders as a possible reason. I would think it would have to be something broad sweeping like that to affect so many people at once.

Anyway, thanks again. And I bet things will look up for you soon, especially once the Christmas season rolls around.

Jodi

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
So were most of the sales you received after you jumped into the bestseller list? I'm just trying to determine if that might have been the biggest factor in your huge sales for that month. It makes sense as it puts your book up front and center but is also a pretty good guarantee of "other people liked this book, you should check it out, too!"

I took a survey of my readers on my website, which is hardly conclusive of anything, but 15% of my readers found me through an Amazon recommendation and 10% through an Amazon also-bought list. None found me through a Top 100 Category list.

While my data means very little due to the way I collected it (hardly scientific), I think it may be applicable to others' situations only because those Category lists are pretty difficult to find. You only see a book is on one when you navigate to the page. They aren't listed much of anywhere else (or if they are, I can't find them easily and I doubt most readers browsing look for them.) Now, if you manage to get into the Top 100 of the entire Kindle Store, then yes, you'll gets some eyes, because Amazon puts those lists on its front page. I'd wager the top ten of Romance or the top ten of Mysteries might have some visibility as well. But when I made the top 20 of Occult and Supernatural Horror, I wager that list was too specific to have been seen by much of anyone. (But it sure was fun to be ranked higher than Stephen King for a few weeks.)

From what I understand, Amazon figures your visibility by something they call a conversion rate, which means how many people who look at your book cover click on it and ultimately buy it. If your conversion rate is high, they show your book to more people (recommendations, also-boughts, etc.), meaning you have more likelihood of selling more books. If your conversion rate is low, then they show your book to less people, meaning you have less likelihood of making sales. That's why you see meteoric rises like Derek's or mine (which admittedly was way less, um, meteoric. I capped out at a ranking of about 2,000 before my sales declined) and also why the book suddenly takes a nose dive.

I kind of expect that as Amazon gets bigger and ebook buying becomes more commonplace, they'll change these algorithms again to encourage more niche-buying. I'm pretty sure that Amazon will get very good at providing readers with a tailor-made experience for them, which will probably make Amazon ebook sales change yet again. I think they'll stop pushing a few books at everyone and start pushing a wider variety of books at smaller targeted audiences. But that's just a hunch.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
I find the "top categories" hard to navigate and not very reliable. Also, most of the time I've already read the ones that would appeal to me and many (just my personal opinion) are not as good as their position indicates. Or maybe, more accurately, they are not typically what I am looking for.

Since I buy a lot of niche Kindle books I typically find new authors in the "People who bought this also bought" section. So one suggestion is to get yourself on a better and more diverse recommended list in order to find more people in your target audience.

One way to get this ball rolling is to purchase your book then purchase books that are like yours - so that your book will have chance to get in on those sales. Of course, you can't do it with one purchase, but every little bit helps.

Another thing that I would do (if I had my fiction book on sale already), is find another author who is publishing books like mine and see if they wanted to do a joint venture where two (or more) authors team up to promote their books as a package. Of course, you'd have to be very choosy so you're not mixed up with crap, but I see local networking as a pretty good answer to author centered promotion and marketing - even if you have no intention of self publishing.

I could think of at least a dozen ways to manipulate Amazon for better positioning and you can bet when I put out some fiction, that's what I will be doing. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing that I would do (if I had my fiction book on sale already), is find another author who is publishing books like mine and see if they wanted to do a joint venture where two (or more) authors team up to promote their books as a package. Of course, you'd have to be very choosy so you're not mixed up with crap, but I see local networking as a pretty good answer to author centered promotion and marketing - even if you have no intention of self publishing.

One of the big problems with selling self-published print books is getting them into bookshops: without distribution (and I mean what trade publishing calls distribution, not what a lot of self publishers mean by that) it's impossible to get a decent bookshop presence.

I suggested to several self publishers and self-publishing groups that they band together and work as distributors, each holding stock of each others' books and making sales calls and so on: but they were all reluctant to do so. I always thought that was a shame and that they might well make a good number of sales if they did so. It would be worth trying, at least, I'd have thought.

annetpfeffer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annepfeffer.com
One of the big problems with selling self-published print books is getting them into bookshops: without distribution (and I mean what trade publishing calls distribution, not what a lot of self publishers mean by that) it's impossible to get a decent bookshop presence.

What about independent bookstores? Is there any hope there?

Status
Not open for further replies.