Status
Not open for further replies.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Derek, thanks for the information you're providing here.

It's interesting to see the disconnect (which I'm hearing about from other self-publishers, too) between promotion efforts and actual sales. This very closely mimics commercial publishing, in that an author's own promotional efforts historically seem to have lilttle to no effect on sales.

It also shows (again, as seen for many others) that a catchy title and cover are fairly key to success for previously unknown self-e-pubbers. However, I daresay that the contents of your books live up to the catchy titles and covers, or else you wouldn't be having the success you obviously are. :)

Last edited:

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Terie, thanks.

I certainly like my stories, and my Dead Dwarves Don't Dance book has gotten some good reviews. I think of it as an action-packed popcorn movie story. I wrote Dance back in the 90s during the days of Stallone and Arnold action movies. I wanted to write a novel in the vein of cinematic uber action. I think I succeeded. Plus, I threw in some disguised SF social commentary along the way with the neohuman situation.

The Elemental Odyssey is a young adult modern day action/adventure/fantasy/scifi. My 12-year-old neighbor beta reader said he read it in 3 days, and he doesn't read too much. It's a good sign when a kid can read 390 pages in 3 days. So, I'm hoping it does well eventually. It hasn't found an audience on Amazon yet, but I have done zero marketing for it because I was waiting on my POD paperback version. That's now available, so I'm going to start trying to get some reviews and so on. Paperback is selling for $14.99 here.

Hopefully, readers will get a few hours of entertainment from each of them.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Derek, welcome to AW.

I love your covers. The artist has done beautiful work. Dead Dwarves Don't Dance reminds me of Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I can see it appealing to that audience as soon as the image pops up on Amazon or anywhere else.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Alitriona, thanks! Dance is in the vein of Blade Runner. I'd say if you liked BR atmosphere, you'll probably like DDDD.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
This very closely mimics commercial publishing, in that an author's own promotional efforts historically seem to have lilttle to no effect on sales.

From what I remember, before he became the grand prophet of self-published ebooks, Konrath said that of all the promotion he did the only thing that made much difference to sales was going to bookstores, signing the stock and meeting the staff; that got his books on the shelves, often in the best places, and that got them sold. And from reading his blog he seems to have tried just about everything he could think of to promote them.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
For those of you who want to know, here's what I've done to self-publish my own ebooks:

1. Hired a professional editor to do line and dev edits on my books.
2. Hired professional artist to do the cover art.
3. Formatted the interior myself.
4. Did the cover layout myself.
5. Did minimal marketing myself.

So, I've done two things that trade publishers do: professional editing and cover art.

I've done everything else myself. I have no problem with the 'self-published' term being applied to my work. I think my books speak for themselves, and hopefully someone who buys them will enjoy the content.

Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your data with us. It is much appreciated.

Jodi

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say, for me there is one main distinction between trade publishing and self-publishing, whether in print or in ebook form....

....no one EVER gets rejected because their work doesn't meet the publishers level of standards in self-publishing. I could post 300 pages of "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy" and selfpub it. I can't get away with that crap in trade publishing. It is this distinction that self-pubbing will never overcome.

That said, I've been trade pubbed and self-e-pubbed. As of the moment, I've three trade publishers interested in four manuscripts. I could selfpub them, but I would rather they be on store shelves nationwide if possible, if they are good enough.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
....no one EVER gets rejected because their work doesn't meet the publishers level of standards in self-publishing.

But they get rejected because their work doesn't meet the reader's standards. Which is what matters, if you want to be read... who cares whether publishers like your book if readers do?

I could post 300 pages of "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy" and selfpub it.

And you wouldn't sell any. Probably. Though if you were imaginative enough in how you wrote those words...

I can't get away with that crap in trade publishing. It is this distinction that self-pubbing will never overcome.

As a reader I don't care whether a novel is trade published or self-published, I just want a good story competently told. I'd certainly agree that a random novel from a trade publisher is likely to be better than a random self-published novel (I'd even agree that a randomly chosen self-published novel is likely to be unreadable), but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't self-publish if the novel is at least competent and particularly if it's something that trade publishers won't touch.

For example, I've been reading a book on horror writing with articles from various people in the business and much of it is very interesting, but one particular article stood out; the writer (an editor, AFAIR) was talking about all the things that make a publisher or agent rapidly turn down a horror novel.

While I agreed with some of their points, by the end of it I was thinking: 'Hang on. I'd like to read some of those books that you're instantly rejecting.' Clearly there's a market of some kind for them, but agents and publishers are refusing to even try to fill that market because they're fixated on sparkly vampires. If you write those kind of novels and self-publish I might well buy them, but you won't get anywhere with a publisher.

Ultimately trade publishing is a middleman, and one thing technology has proven again and again is that it tends to eliminate inefficient middlemen who don't have some kind of monopoly position. Particularly with Amazon becoming a publisher as well as a retailer, with better deals for authors and without the baggage that the traditional publishers carry around with them, I think publishers are going to be living in interesting times for the next few years.

Now, if Big Name Publisher called me tomorrow and said 'hey, we'll give you a million dollars for your next novel' my response would be 'hell yeah!' But the idea that no-one should put a novel up for sale until agents and publishers have beaten them with sticks for years just seems too S&M for my tastes. Most self-published novels will be crap, some will be good, some will be OK; some of the OK writers will learn from their mistakes and become good. Over time we'll all be better off with more good novels on the market.

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
From what I read on Konrath's blog, he's not fond of advertising, since most people didn't buy books because they saw an ad.

I think most books are sold from reviews. Either independent reviews in newspapers, or bookblogs, or on Amazon. And, of course, readers raving to other readers about your book.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
But they get rejected because their work doesn't meet the reader's standards. Which is what matters, if you want to be read... who cares whether publishers like your book if readers do?

I do, since in most cases I respect the opinions of agents and editors. And when a publishing house puts their money, time, and personnel where their mouth is, I'd say that's a pretty positive beginning. However, I do agree that the success of a book will ultimately be determined by readers, but this can only happen if the book is bought and read by readers, and this is faaaaar more likely to happen when trade houses use their promotion and marketing abilities -- something which SP'ers don't have. But as I've said many times before, my hope for all writers (me included) is that somehow this problem will be solved. I want all of us to have as many viable options as is possible.

And you wouldn't sell any. Probably. Though if you were imaginative enough in how you wrote those words...

True, but I don't think that's the point tina was trying to make.

...but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't self-publish if the novel is at least competent and particularly if it's something that trade publishers won't touch.

Hey, if an individual wants to SP after knowing all the facts, who am I to say no. Certainly niche books are perfect for SP'ing. However, since a minute few have the ability which Derek has, for 99% it will mean an enormous outlay of time and money, to say nothing of a knowledge of how to promote and market. And even then, you have to be content with the possibility of selling only a few books and making very limited income.

Ultimately trade publishing is a middleman, and one thing technology has proven again and again is that it tends to eliminate inefficient middlemen who don't have some kind of monopoly position.

I don't get this. Certainly in the overall scheme of things trade houses have proven themselves to be efficient middlemen, who, given paper books, do have a monopoly. If you're talking about ebooks, the demand for same is extremely new and everyone is in the midst of adapting. Lets wait and see what develops in the next couple of years.

Particularly with Amazon becoming a publisher as well as a retailer, with better deals for authors and without the baggage that the traditional publishers carry around with them, I think publishers are going to be living in interesting times for the next few years.

I agree, and that's why I think we have to wait a while before drawing any conclusions. Amazon is a giant, but trade publishers are right there as well. It will be interesting and hopefully to the benefit of writers.

Now, if Big Name Publisher called me tomorrow and said 'hey, we'll give you a million dollars for your next novel' my response would be 'hell yeah!' But the idea that no-one should put a novel up for sale until agents and publishers have beaten them with sticks for years just seems too S&M for my tastes. Most self-published novels will be crap, some will be good, some will be OK; some of the OK writers will learn from their mistakes and become good. Over time we'll all be better off with more good novels on the market.

Well, I don't agree with you. I do think that writers should at least take a couple of years attempting to be published by a trade house-getting an agent first would help.
ss

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
I don't get this. Certainly in the overall scheme of things trade houses have proven themselves to be efficient middlemen, who, given paper books, do have a monopoly.

In terms of printing books, I'd agree, they seem pretty efficient at getting words onto paper and into stores. But I can't imagine any non-media industry accepting a business model that is in no rush to get products to market and is content to throw away a large fraction of said products after stores return them; in the non-media industries where I've worked the business plan has generally been 'get new products out yesterday and cut costs wherever possible'.

I can understand the historical reasons why it's like that, but I'm far from convinced that they can turn around and fight off competition from newcomers like Amazon who don't have to pay for New York offices, have little incentive to delay book releases and don't have to deal as much with returns if they're selling the print books primarily through their own store.

And if a writer looks at a trade publisher as an employee putting their books out into the world, I'm not sure they'd get good performance reviews.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
alas one big distinction too is that when I pay for a trade pub book, I may not LIKE it, but at least I can read it -few if any typos, grammar errors, etc....
With a self pub book I may pay for it and never get through page three without chucking it.
I read both, I buy both. But I am less likely to get a bad one through a publisher than a self-publisher, at least in my one-to-two-book a day buying habit. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of printing books, I'd agree, they seem pretty efficient at getting words onto paper and into stores. But I can't imagine any non-media industry accepting a business model that is in no rush to get products to market and is content to throw away a large fraction of said products after stores return them; in the non-media industries where I've worked the business plan has generally been 'get new products out yesterday and cut costs wherever possible'.

For good or bad, publishing is a media oriented business. Therefore, to compare media and non-media business models doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't warrant a long comparative discussion.

And if a writer looks at a trade publisher as an employee putting their books out into the world, I'm not sure they'd get good performance reviews.

If the trade publisher's editing, cover design, formatting, promotion, marketing, and more, helps to sell a lot of books, and consequently the author realizes a very nice profit (plus an advance), I don't think the author would complain.

ss

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I think most books are sold from reviews.

Most books are sold because the reader read and liked another work by the same author.

The next greatest source of sales is that the book was recommended by a trusted friend. (That's why Oprah is so powerful: She counts as "trusted friend" to millions of people.)

All other reasons fade into single-digit percentages.

Reaction score
Website
Most books are sold because the reader read and liked another work by the same author.

The next greatest source of sales is that the book was recommended by a trusted friend. (That's why Oprah is so powerful: She counts as "trusted friend" to millions of people.)

That's why I said, readers raving to others about the book. Also, the book reviews in trusted newspaper by trusted reviewers will have reader look for a certain book.

I do look for books by writers I'm familiar with, but there was an instance where I wasn't familiar with them. So what made me pick up the books from these unfamiliar writers? Because readers/reviewers I trust told me their work was the same level/quality as the writers I was reading already.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
That's why I said, readers raving to others about the book. Also, the book reviews in trusted newspaper by trusted reviewers will have reader look for a certain book.

No, that isn't what you said.

You set up as the chief reason what is, in fact, an order of magnitude less than that chief reason.

The only reason that reviews count at all is because they're better than nothing, not because they're the best means of getting readers.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score

This.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
James, AmsterdamAssassin was talking about how readers discover authors they don't already know.

Ergo,

I think most books are sold from reviews. Either independent reviews in newspapers, or bookblogs, or on Amazon. And, of course, readers raving to other readers about your book.

and

are saying the same thing.

Is just another point demonstrating that an author's best marketing tool can be to write more books to sell.

But for myself, as a reader, there are some writers I snap up on release week. Others, I remember every so often and think "Hey, it's been a year. I wonder if they have any new releases?" And go wandering in—and then there are some whose names I don't remember until I see 'em mentioned somewhere else, and I snap my fingers and say "Oh, yeah! I enjoyed that other book by them. I should check this one out."

Most authors I've read fall in to that last category. Some fall into the second. I think I can count the number in the first group on one hand.

Thanks for sharing those numbers with us, Derek.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Is just another point demonstrating that an author's best marketing tool can be to write more books to sell.
QUOTE]

With all respect I don't agree. I don't think the answer is quantity, but rather to write terrific books that people buy, that sell extremely well, that readers like and remember, and which they recomend to others -- with the name of the author, of course. I'll use Neal Bascomb as an example, the author of THE PERFECT MILE a 2005 book I really, really liked and which apparently millions of others did as well. I never heard of him before someone recommended the book to me. In total, since 2004 he's only published 4 other books.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Scope here - with any creative endeavor, it's quality versus quantity. I'd rather produce one Renoir than a hundred 'dogs playing poker'.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com

*points to bold*

I did pick that verb structure for a reason. :)

If an author's providing quality, increasing quantity lets those good quality books act as mutual marketing tools. But if an author isn't providing quality, increasing quantity won't do any good.

leigh78

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
*points to bold*

I did pick that verb structure for a reason. :)

If an author's providing quality, increasing quantity lets those good quality books act as mutual marketing tools. But if an author isn't providing quality, increasing quantity won't do any good.

Agreed. If I read a book that's trash, I won't pick up anymore by that author regardless how many that author has written.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we seem to agree. Writers should aim to produce quality material and not concern themselves with quantity. It would be wonderful if we could write books of the highest quality while also cranking out consisent quantity, but I don't think that's likely, and I'm not even sure they are compatable virtues. In theory yes, but practically, probably not.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
James, AmsterdamAssassin was talking about how readers discover authors they don't already know.

Ergo,

No, AmsterdamAssassin didn't say anything at all about how readers discover authors they don't already know.

What he said, and what you quoted, was, 'I think most books are sold from reviews.' Where, in that phrasing, is there any hint of 'how readers discover authors they don't already know'? All it says is, 'most books are sold from reviews', and Uncle Jim very clearly said something entirely different, that is,

To compare the two statements more clearly, AmsterdamAssassin said, 'most books are sold from reviews,' whereas Uncle Jim said, 'Most books are sold because the reader read and liked another work by the same author.' Furthermore, as regards reviews, Uncle Jim included that in the statement, 'All other reasons fade into single-digit percentages.'

These two statements are not saying the same thing at all. Indeed, they're almost opposite.

Reaction score
Website
No, AmsterdamAssassin didn't say anything at all about how readers discover authors they don't already know.

You're right, I didn't formulate my message correctly, but it is what I meant. New authors are discovered by word of mouth from reader to reader. And from reviews in book supplements to newspapers and other reviews. Or because books are supported by someone trusted to the reader [Oprah, or your favorite librarian, whatever].

As to James McDonalds comment on how readers will buy books from authors they know, that is true. However, you have to get to know these authors, and how do you do that? Because someone told you about their books? Because you looked for an author you know, and someone offered you a similar book by another author? Probably not from advertisements, which was the point of the conversation -- do ads help you sell more books? Konrath doesn't think so, and if you ask around, it's rare that people buy a book because they saw an ad.
Reviews, especially reviews trusted by the general public, will probably be better promotion than an ad announcing your book. And even if there's an ad announcing your book, it's almost always accompanied by a 'blurb' from an author or authority claiming the book is excellent or 'in the vein of [famous author]'.

Which is why I think that a self-publishing author would do better pursuing reviews and blurbs than buying ads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.