Is shyness an okay reason for using a pen name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsymom

Registered
Reaction score
I've debated this myself. On the one hand, I want to be able to say :tongue to those who said I couldn't do it, but on the other hand, if some of those same people thought I had a dime, they would be looking to "borrow" it. I've resolved it by realizing most of them don't read anyway!

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
That may be the primary reason people use pen names. They don't want the writing life and all that entails clashing with their personal life.
For me, the choice is mostly a search engine optimization thing; I'd prefer people Googling my name not get whitepapers and other technical stuff I've written for work when they're looking for my writing, or vice versa. Imagine finding a murder mystery set in a vampire-ruled alternate version of ancient Rome when you're looking for a whitepaper on some communications protocol... :p

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Of course not. Never, ever use a pen name. Don't you know that writers are some of the most outgoing, attention seeking, and sociable people in the history of the world.

The fact that would would even ask offends me. Don't you know that no one on this forum uses a pen name. In fact, I was told to join this forum we must give them our real names. Why else did they ask for my date of birth, bank account number and social security number when I registered? Because they wanted to confirm I was a real writer.

The only reason to even be a writer is to tell everyone you write. Whether it's novels, non-fiction, short stories, deep-emotional-life-shattering poems from high school, that very tasteful gay sex scenes from our favorite fan fiction, or that witty blurb I thought of while watching Jeopardy last night... We must take every opportunity possible to flaunt our writings. Whether it's to nameless, faceless people on the internet or to anyone who was lucky enough to step into an elevator with us (that's what the emergency stop button is for).

So, in conclusion, no pen names. Ever.

???
I would disagree with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.