• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] BookieJar

FataMorgana

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody recommended me the site

http://www.bookiejar.com

to publish part of my manuscript to get a time stamp and prove proprietorship.

(Long story. Don't want to get into it.)

My book is not finished yet; I would only use the site to publish part of it. I don't necessarily plan to publish the finished book there.

Looks OK to me. You can publish your work and get feedback from readers.

Any insights, comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can already post your work for critique here, after three more posts.

And putting it up on a display site will have squat to do with proving your ownership and copyright issues. For the last time, whoever is telling you crap like this really doesn't know bupkis about the business and is only playing on your fears.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse my naiveté, but what is a display site?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After looking at it, it's a combo platter: display site and self-pub service. People post their work in the hopes it'll get noticed and they'll build up a readership, which can happen but it's so rare I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
It looks very confusing, because it looks like people are selling their books there and it talks about publishing.

But after having read the following in the Publishing Agreement

"3.4 Work in progress

BookieJar allows writers to publish work that is still in progress. However the latest updates should be published on BookieJar first. All writers understand and agree that if a book starts on BookieJar, the book must be completed on BookieJar before being published in any other form or media. If the writers decide to stop updating the book on BookieJar, they need to stop updating it elsewhere or pay damages to BookieJar for lost fees.
BookieJar reserves the rights to pursue violators or forfeit the royalty from"

I am not interested.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Fata, there is no point in you using this site to "to publish part of my manuscript to get a time stamp and prove proprietorship". You don't need to do that.

And the part you quoted from its publishing agreement is very worrying. If I were you I'd steer well clear.

I'd also stop listening to the friends who are giving you all this advice. They don't know what they're talking about and might well lead you towards a very expensive mistake.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Old Hack, I am improving:)

I asked you guys about it and checked out the Publisher Agreement :) (I also hired a lawyer to certify my manuscript and write a letter.)

I think this thread will be useful for people looking for info on BookieJar.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Why do you need a lawyer to certify your manuscript? What exactly are you worried about? If you're worried about copyright, just register it with the copyright office.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need a lawyer to certify your manuscript? What exactly are you worried about? If you're worried about copyright, just register it with the copyright office.

I already have, thanks.

Long story. A dishonest person who edited my book threatened me to re-write it and publish it under his name.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also stop listening to the friends who are giving you all this advice. They don't know what they're talking about and might well lead you towards a very expensive mistake.

I think people mean it well, but they assume I am just another gramma writing a poetry book, who is anxious to get published anywhere. That's why I am getting these advices.

They don't know that I am serious about writing a serious book and publish it with a serious publisher.

ps. Nothing against grammas or poetry:)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Welcome, GataMorgana :)

Your friends are giving you bad advice. I would steer clear of any sites that promise views and feedback for your work.

You don't need to copyright anything, as it is yours from the moment your write it. Any editor who said he would rewrite it as his own needs to get a life. Where did you find this person? Never mind, steer clear from him. He sounds unprofessional and like he does not know what he's doing.

Finally, you don't need a lawyer to certify anything. The work is yours.

It seems to me you are going just a bit overboard because you want to do everything just right and protect your work. Seriously, changes are nobody is going to steal it. Try to relax and spend your time writing instead of worrying. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Copyright projects actual sequences of words, not ideas. But then ideas on their own, even scientific ideas, don't really amount to much.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Copyright projects actual sequences of words, not ideas. But then ideas on their own, even scientific ideas, don't really amount to much.

I know. But if I can prove it that he signed a nondisclosure agreement, edited it and published it in a different form, the lawyer says I have a case.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
FataMorgana:
I know. But if I can prove it that he signed a nondisclosure agreement, edited it and published it in a different form, the lawyer says I have a case.

I'm not a US lawyer but surely that all depends on whether s/he did sign a non-disclosure agreement (which is easy enough to prove) and what the terms of that agreement were and whether s/he actually publishes it. Even then, if the idea is generic, then the editor may have room to claim that it is his - especially because your book isn't finished yet.

Any lawyer is going to tell you you've got a case because there's always a case to make. The trick is knowing whether you've got a case that's actually worth pursuing.

Like everyone else here has said, you're wasting money by taking these measures. Copyright law protects the expression of your idea from the point of creation without spending money on bills and whistles to it.

Stick around the site, learn how publishing works and see about finding a decent beta from the beta forum. Then do your research on agents and publishers. That's the best thing you can do for you and your work.

MM

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
I had this idea over 10 years ago, and have been writing it down for the last 5 years.

I would hate to lose it to this person.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please. Take a deep breath and calm down. You've started several threads on this same topic and we've given you the same answers every time. Asking us the same questions over and over isn't going to help you any more than we already have because we aren't going to change our answers. The only thing you can do from this point is just wait it out.

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record. I did not start the thread on the same topic. I was inquiring about Bookie Jar.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, you're right. I stand corrected on the original topic, but through your own derail it's devolved into the same thing you've posted about before.

*banninates self from thread*

FataMorgana

Registered
Reaction score
Not my own derail. People wanted to know why I needed a proof and I told them.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Having seen this derail previously, I'm going to lock this thread until Cao Paux or Old Hack can poke it with a sharp stick.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:e2poke:

FataMorgana, this was indeed the same topic, as it's about you trying to get "protection" you don't need and, in this case, it nearly cost you your book.

You have already received plenty of advice regarding your situation from the professionals on this board. Whether you act on it or continue to follow your friends' advice is up to you -- but don't waste our time asking questions only to ignore the answers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Most activity ceased after '12, and although the site was up a few months ago (and the domain is good 'till '17), it's not loading. Anyone have recent contact and/or use their app?