The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display site] BookieJar

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Display site] BookieJar

Somebody recommended me the site

http://www.bookiejar.com

to publish part of my manuscript to get a time stamp and prove proprietorship.

(Long story. Don't want to get into it.)

My book is not finished yet; I would only use the site to publish part of it. I don't necessarily plan to publish the finished book there.

Looks OK to me. You can publish your work and get feedback from readers.

Any insights, comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    You can already post your work for critique here, after three more posts.

And putting it up on a display site will have squat to do with proving your ownership and copyright issues. For the last time, whoever is telling you crap like this really doesn't know bupkis about the business and is only playing on your fears.

Excuse my naiveté, but what is a display site?

After looking at it, it's a combo platter: display site and self-pub service. People post their work in the hopes it'll get noticed and they'll build up a readership, which can happen but it's so rare I wouldn't count on it.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 06-05-2011 at 10:29 PM.

It looks very confusing, because it looks like people are selling their books there and it talks about publishing.

But after having read the following in the Publishing Agreement

"3.4 Work in progress

BookieJar allows writers to publish work that is still in progress. However the latest updates should be published on BookieJar first. All writers understand and agree that if a book starts on BookieJar, the book must be completed on BookieJar before being published in any other form or media. If the writers decide to stop updating the book on BookieJar, they need to stop updating it elsewhere or pay damages to BookieJar for lost fees.
    BookieJar reserves the rights to pursue violators or forfeit the royalty from"

I am not interested.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Fata, there is no point in you using this site to "to publish part of my manuscript to get a time stamp and prove proprietorship". You don't need to do that.

And the part you quoted from its publishing agreement is very worrying. If I were you I'd steer well clear.

I'd also stop listening to the friends who are giving you all this advice. They don't know what they're talking about and might well lead you towards a very expensive mistake.

Thanks Old Hack, I am improving

I asked you guys about it and checked out the Publisher Agreement (I also hired a lawyer to certify my manuscript and write a letter.)

I think this thread will be useful for people looking for info on BookieJar.

Feeling like an old timer rainsmom's Avatar
    Why do you need a lawyer to certify your manuscript? What exactly are you worried about? If you're worried about copyright, just register it with the copyright office.
    Melissa C. Alexander

Click for Joy!
    Click for Joy!
    Sunshine Books, 2003
    Winner "Best Training/Behavior Book 2003" by Dog Writers of America

WIP: Doubting River (est. completion 2014)
    Winner mainstream category of "The Sandy" literary contest, 2010

Blog: A Plotter's Guide to Novel Writing
    Twitter: @M_C_Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by rainsmom View Post
    Why do you need a lawyer to certify your manuscript? What exactly are you worried about? If you're worried about copyright, just register it with the copyright office.
    I already have, thanks.

Long story. A dishonest person who edited my book threatened me to re-write it and publish it under his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    I'd also stop listening to the friends who are giving you all this advice. They don't know what they're talking about and might well lead you towards a very expensive mistake.
    I think people mean it well, but they assume I am just another gramma writing a poetry book, who is anxious to get published anywhere. That's why I am getting these advices.

They don't know that I am serious about writing a serious book and publish it with a serious publisher.

ps. Nothing against grammas or poetry

Tell it like it Is Susan Littlefield's Avatar

Smile

Welcome, GataMorgana

Your friends are giving you bad advice. I would steer clear of any sites that promise views and feedback for your work.

You don't need to copyright anything, as it is yours from the moment your write it. Any editor who said he would rewrite it as his own needs to get a life. Where did you find this person? Never mind, steer clear from him. He sounds unprofessional and like he does not know what he's doing.

Finally, you don't need a lawyer to certify anything. The work is yours.

It seems to me you are going just a bit overboard because you want to do everything just right and protect your work. Seriously, changes are nobody is going to steal it. Try to relax and spend your time writing instead of worrying.
    Susan

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Copyright projects actual sequences of words, not ideas. But then ideas on their own, even scientific ideas, don't really amount to much.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Copyright projects actual sequences of words, not ideas. But then ideas on their own, even scientific ideas, don't really amount to much.
    I know. But if I can prove it that he signed a nondisclosure agreement, edited it and published it in a different form, the lawyer says I have a case.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    FataMorgana:
    I know. But if I can prove it that he signed a nondisclosure agreement, edited it and published it in a different form, the lawyer says I have a case.
    I'm not a US lawyer but surely that all depends on whether s/he did sign a non-disclosure agreement (which is easy enough to prove) and what the terms of that agreement were and whether s/he actually publishes it. Even then, if the idea is generic, then the editor may have room to claim that it is his - especially because your book isn't finished yet.

Any lawyer is going to tell you you've got a case because there's always a case to make. The trick is knowing whether you've got a case that's actually worth pursuing.

Like everyone else here has said, you're wasting money by taking these measures. Copyright law protects the expression of your idea from the point of creation without spending money on bills and whistles to it.

Stick around the site, learn how publishing works and see about finding a decent beta from the beta forum. Then do your research on agents and publishers. That's the best thing you can do for you and your work.

MM

I had this idea over 10 years ago, and have been writing it down for the last 5 years.

I would hate to lose it to this person.

Please. Take a deep breath and calm down. You've started several threads on this same topic and we've given you the same answers every time. Asking us the same questions over and over isn't going to help you any more than we already have because we aren't going to change our answers. The only thing you can do from this point is just wait it out.

Just for the record. I did not start the thread on the same topic. I was inquiring about Bookie Jar.

No, you're right. I stand corrected on the original topic, but through your own derail it's devolved into the same thing you've posted about before.

*banninates self from thread*

Not my own derail. People wanted to know why I needed a proof and I told them.

Herder of Hamsters
    Having seen this derail previously, I'm going to lock this thread until Cao Paux or Old Hack can poke it with a sharp stick.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

FataMorgana, this was indeed the same topic, as it's about you trying to get "protection" you don't need and, in this case, it nearly cost you your book.

You have already received plenty of advice regarding your situation from the professionals on this board. Whether you act on it or continue to follow your friends' advice is up to you -- but don't waste our time asking questions only to ignore the answers.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Most activity ceased after '12, and although the site was up a few months ago (and the domain is good 'till '17), it's not loading. Anyone have recent contact and/or use their app?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: