Farscape

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Babylon 5 but I hadn't got enough space opera so I decided to check out Farscape, of which I remember brief pieces of from my childhood.
Loved the first season, especially the finale.

My only real gripe so far with the series is the theme music. It's not exactly the happiest go-lucky series, but that theme music would fit better in a horror film. -_-

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I love the theme music! What I don't like is the narration over it.

Am re-watching Farscape myself at the moment, or for large parts (everything that's not season 1) just watching. Just hit the beginning of S3.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've found Moya, Talyn and Pilot to be the most interesting characters. Which is interesting because Moya and Talyn don't really speak, even in Talyn's way, all that often. Seriously, Moya and Talyn's relationship is more interesting to me than all the other characters combined.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I work with a woman who's a dead ringer for Nigel(sp?). Sad, but true.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Tried to watch Farscape once. Couldn't make it very far. Interesting characters and plot, but the show itself was too cheesy for me. I used to really be into Stargate and decided to try Farscape after the two main characters did a series switch and I liked them in Stargate. While I still liked their characters, the show just didn't do it for me.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished BSG, so I'm looking for more to feed my addiction. I never really watched sci-fi until the last few years, so I have a lot to catch up on. I think Babylon 5 and Farscape are both in my Netflix queue, but I haven't started either of them yet. Perhaps I'll choose one tonight.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Love Farscape. As it happens, I was at a signing and met Joss Whedon just as that show was canceled and Firefly was in the works. Whedon and I whined a (very) little together about the loss of Farscape--although the miniseries gave some nice closure.

Rygel and Chiana were my favorite characters, although I loved them all (even Poor mad "I've Got a Plan" Stark).

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Babylon 5 and Farscape are both in my Netflix queue, but I haven't started either of them yet. Perhaps I'll choose one tonight.

Both are good and worth a watch, but I prefer Farscape. B5, to me, is more human centric even though there are many species on the station. Farscape is more alien centric with one human negotiating his new environment.

I just finished re watching season 4 and am on a break before going on to Peacekeeper Wars.

John and Aeryn really annoyed me this go round. I don't remember them irritating me as much as they did last time.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I love Farscape but season 4 annoyed me. While I understand that John and Aeryn's relationship was the heart of the story by this point, it just started to grate on my nerves when it took over the rest of the story.

I think part of the reason why I liked Farscape so much was that there was no reset button. I think they handled exposition very well (better than Stargate did, imo) and didn't go into details when they brought characters back for an episode. For example, they brought back Gilina at the end of season 1 and didn't explain who she was. They just expected their viewers to have the intelligence to either understand who she was or to find out later after the ep.

And their villains weren't the mustache-twirling, I'm-evil-because-I-am-and-that's-how-the-writers-wrote-me kind. They have a backstory. They change and grow over time. They have reasons for their actions.