• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Buzzy Mag / Buzzy Multimedia Publishing

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I noticed on the Absolute Write main page that there was an advertisement for Buzzy Multimedia asking for submissions.

http://www.buzzymag.com/submissions/

Does anyone know if they are legitamate? It looks like they have something to do with the Dresden Files, but I'm not sure.

If they are legitimate, I'm thinking of submitting something to them.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Their connection with the Dresden Files and a few other well-known properties is the release of the audiobook versions, from what I can find. They're just now moving into print publishing.

I emailed them yesterday asking some questions about Buzzy Mag.

On their submissions page, it says that they pay 5 cents per word for stories up to 10,000 words. It also says they're looking for stories that can be developed into novels later for publication by Buzzy Multimedia.

I thought that was strange wording. So I sent the following email, copied and pasted:

On your submissions page you list the rate as 5 cents per word for stories of 10,000 words and under. It also says that you're looking for stories that can be developed into novels later.

I'm curious what rights you plan to purchase at that rate. I also would like to know if the original author is the one who turns his or her story into a novel, and whether there are any future payments to authors whose stories are developed into full-length novels, if not.

Is there somewhere on any of your sites where I can find this information? If not, can you please provide it?
I got a reply today. Prompt, but it doesn't answer any of those questions.

The reply from June, with no title or other information, says that the 5 cents per word is just the rate for short stories, and that if they purchase a novel it will be negotiated under a completely different contract. I expected it would be different for a novel purchased outright, but I was asking specifically about the mention of stories that could be developed later, and I think my questions were clear.

No answer about which rights are purchased on stories, what of developing the stories into novels later, or who would do it/be compensated for it.

If you submit there and are accepted, read the contract carefully to make sure you're ONLY signing over the right for them to use the story in their online magazine. Make sure that the contract doesn't grant them the right to adapt the work however they want without further compensation.

I'm not saying they're out to do that, not at all. But it pays to be cautious.

Shelley

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought about them wanting to write a short story as a novel with seperate writers. I may send them an e-mail, then.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Interesting. I never heard of Buzzy Mag until today, and then only because I experimentally disabled Ad Block to see what kind of ads showed up on AW. (I help the site with small donations, but it just occurred to me today that my ad-blocking might potentially deprive them of a teeny bit of revenue. And, the ads aren't very obnoxious.)

Looking at the Buzzy Submissions page, I was surprised to find that they only accept snail mail submissions, even though (unless I'm mistaken) they're preparing an online magazine. I guess that serves to filter out anybody who isn't serious.

I know some of the print magazines I'd love to sell to, like Fantasy & Science Fiction or Alfred Hitchcock, still have the same limitation; I imagine they'd be swamped by electronic submissions otherwise, most of which would be unusable. That makes sense for such well-established and prestigious genre magazines; seems a little odd for a start-up venture like Buzzy.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Anybody had any direct experience with this venue yet?

There are a couple things keeping me from submitting at the moment. Aside from what Shelleyo mentioned, they also have specific guidelines for agents handling short stories, which seems to scream amateur to me, as most people in the spec industry know agents don't handle short works for their clients. Also, their acceptance rate on duotrope is over 16% at the moment, which seems really high and unsustainable for a pro-level venue. Perhaps it's just that high because they're stocking up for several months worth of issues, but still...

So, any new info would be appreciated!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
They're legit, but inexperienced.

Hold off until they get their sea legs. Make sure to have an agent or Writer Beware look over any contract.

They won't intentionally screw you; the publishing arm is them diversifying and they just don't know all the ropes or how complicated it can get.

They produce audio books and T-shirts and are absolute pros for that.

The people are honest, but again, inexperienced. Expect a learning curve for them.

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
They're taking e-submissions now, and there's no mention of novel development.

OTOH they've been taking submissions for 9 months and still haven't birthed a single issue. No mention of rights being purchased, or when/how you get paid.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Updating: Issue arrived March 25. Stories are available on their site.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're taking e-submissions now, and there's no mention of novel development.

OTOH they've been taking submissions for 9 months and still haven't birthed a single issue. No mention of rights being purchased, or when/how you get paid.

I sold them a story late last summer. I was paid promptly ON ACCEPTANCE once the story underwent copy-edits. The contract was reasonable and raised no red flags. Overall I had an excellent experience dealing with them and already submitting more stories.

My original submission will be posted on their site in just a few days :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I subbed a story to them recently and got a rejection. I'll check my records later and let you know how quick the reply was.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just subbed to them. No mention of novel adaptations, and still paying pro rates. *fingers crossed*

DTora

Registered
Reaction score
Under Books, Games, and Product Reviews their submissions page states "Reviews once accepted and paid for may not be posted anywhere else on the internet." Without a time period mentioned, I tend to think they mean "indefinitely," but perhaps I am assuming too much. I tend to think of rights as something that should revert to the author at some point. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm right about fiction but wrong about non-fiction?

I'm thinking about submitting fiction to them.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Forgot to update my status: Form rejection, 30 days after submission.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I sold them a story, got paid promptly, and since the story went live they've been giving it the occasional promotional push which gets me traffic back to my website from my link.

A nice professional experience all round. I recommend them, and will be subbing more.