Computer formatting question: removing tabs from a manuscript

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
The submission guidelines of several publishers I've looked at request that the beginning of each paragraph be indented a half inch, but not tabbed. Fool that I am, I've already typed up my novel manuscript using tabs at the beginning of each paragraph. I can add .5 indents easily enough using the 'Paragraph' tool, but how do I remove a novel's worth of Tabs? The 'tab' key doesn't work in Find-Replace, so I've been doing it by hand, but that can't be the best method.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using Microsoft Word, you CAN use Find-and-Replace to remove tabs. In the F&R dialog box, there is a button marked "Special", which will allow you to find special characters like the TAB. Simply select TAB to find and replace it with nothing.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
You can also just type ^t in the find and replace with nothing as well. They both work.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
The submission guidelines of several publishers I've looked at request that the beginning of each paragraph be indented a half inch, but not tabbed. Fool that I am, I've already typed up my novel manuscript using tabs at the beginning of each paragraph. I can add .5 indents easily enough using the 'Paragraph' tool, but how do I remove a novel's worth of Tabs? The 'tab' key doesn't work in Find-Replace, so I've been doing it by hand, but that can't be the best method.

In MS Word:

Highlight tabbed area-----> hit control F on the keyboard-------> copy highlighted tab into find -------->go down to replace and make sure nothing is in this box-----> hit replace. Now all the tabs are gone.

To properly format: hightlight documents. Go up to format, then paragraph. In the "special" drop down box, choose first line. The dialogue box next it needs to read .5.

That's it!