Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, my sister, bless her heart, brought me a laptop to use while my computer is laid up in the shop. Dear gawd, what a foreign object...I've never used one before, especially without a mouse.

Can someone please tell me how to copy and paste? I mean a real symplified explanation on how to highlight a paragraph, copy it and transport it for paste. For the life of me, I can't understand how you do it.
Unfortunately, I don't have any directions with machine and I'm trying to wing it. It has one of those touch mouse pads.

Tri

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only advice I can offer is to find a Best Buy or the like and get a wireless mouse. My Acer netbook has that touchpad thingie and I hated it. It can be disabled.

ETA: I got my first laptop today. Within an hour after my tech guy left I was at BB getting a wireless mouse. Next will be a wireless keyboard.

MM

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably two buttons next to the mousepad thingie. One (probaby on the left) is the left mouse button. Press and hold that while you run your finger over the pad, and it should select things on the screen. Yes, it sucks, but with some practice you can get it.

If it's just text you can hold the shift down while pressing the cursor keys.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
You can easily add a mouse and use it with your laptop. That's what I do. Makes copying and pasting so much easier.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
What a nice sister.

You can use the arrow keys too. Put the cursor to the start of the text you want to copy, hold down shift and press an arrow key. The down arrow will select lines of text so that you don't have to select the words letter by letter.

After that, Ctrl and x, held together, will cut the selected text. Ctrl and c will copy. Put the cursor to where you want the text to go and hit Ctrl and v to paste.

Regards

Whacko

Matchy

Lazy Daizy...
Registered
Reaction score
I second (or third) the mouse. I got one for my laptop for under 10 dollars and it is worth every penny. The touchpad takes some real getting used to. Good luck.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I like trackpads. They take time to get used to, but once you get used to them, it's not so bad. It just sucks when you're trying to play games. :tongue

Like someone mentioned, ctrl + c, ctrl + x, and ctrl + v are what you're looking for. Ctrl + c = copy, ctrl + x = cut, and ctrl +v = paste. Also, keep in mind for ctrl + f, which pretty much helps you if you want to search for a certain part or chapter of something.

I kind of wish there was a ctrl + f in real life. Would make searching for things in books so much easier....

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I like trackpads. They take time to get used to, but once you get used to them, it's not so bad. It just sucks when you're trying to play games. :tongue

I hate to sound cliche, but I never liked trackpads until I use an Apple one. The difference in attention paid to their trackpads is night and day.

I even use mine for gaming. Don't even own a mouse; never felt the need.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to copy and paste? I mean a real symplified explanation on how to highlight a paragraph, copy it and transport it for paste. For the life of me, I can't understand how you do it.
Unfortunately, I don't have any directions with machine and I'm trying to wing it. It has one of those touch mouse pads.

Tri

Hold the left touchpad button down with your index finger while you highlight text with your middle finger. Release and click the right touchpad button to bring up the context menu. Select copy.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I second (or third) the mouse. I got one for my laptop for under 10 dollars and it is worth every penny. The touchpad takes some real getting used to. Good luck.

You get what you pay for. Buy the cheapest wireless mouse and you'll pay more for replacement batteries than if you'd bought a quality wireless mouse. I'd recommend a higher end, all-surface optical mouse with a 1 year battery life. Oh, and forget cords.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to sound cliche, but I never liked trackpads until I use an Apple one. The difference in attention paid to their trackpads is night and day.

I even use mine for gaming. Don't even own a mouse; never felt the need.

Well, it's nice to have a big, multi-touch glass touchpad, but you've paid for it. Apple leads the industry when it comes to perceived hardware quality.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's nice to have a big, multi-touch glass touchpad, but you've paid for it. Apple leads the industry when it comes to perceived hardware quality.

Having used both, that the trackpad is a lot nicer is not just perception. And I'm definitely willing to pay for a pleasant trackpad. You couldn't pay me to give up gestures. I'm not sure what you're saying.

Deleted member 42

Triceritops You can probably use the mouse from your desktop with the laptop.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I loves me my touchpad.

I bought a mouse when I first got this laptop but I don't even know where it is now: I find it much more intuitive to use the touchpad. I am amazed by myself.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just like keyboards, there are good trackpads and there are bad trackpads. But the trackpad often gets a bad rap because lots of computer manufacturers cheap out with the bad ones.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
The only advice I can offer is to find a Best Buy or the like and get a wireless mouse. My Acer netbook has that touchpad thingie and I hated it. It can be disabled.

Highly recommend this step. Also, either become an expert with the touchpad or disable it. Like, MM, I disabled mine (also an Acer Netbook!!) because my thumbs kept touching it and moving the cursor around.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba and the touchpad automatically disables if a mouse in being used.

I'm using Windows 7 and it's an option in the Control Panel so if you hook up a mouse and your touchpad is still active, you might want to check it out.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Highly recommend this step. Also, either become an expert with the touchpad or disable it. Like, MM, I disabled mine (also an Acer Netbook!!) because my thumbs kept touching it and moving the cursor around.

I have yet to see a netbook smaller than 11.6 inches that has a proper fullsized keyboard and enough space for a decent touchpad. Disabling the touchpad seems a little extreme, though.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba and the touchpad automatically disables if a mouse in being used.

I'm using Windows 7 and it's an option in the Control Panel so if you hook up a mouse and your touchpad is still active, you might want to check it out.

It also makes sense to update touchpad drivers, preferably from the manufacturers support website, although you can also update drivers from the Device Manager.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I barely use my mouse on my laptop. I hate touchpads, and there's rarely room for a mouse on whatever surface I'm using. I eventually just learned how to tab around.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I love the touch pads. They've always seemed more natural to me than hunting around for a mouse and then trying to find room to maneuver it. All my laptops have been the sales special promotion at the big box stores, too, so I figure they've been nothing fancy. Try to get used to the touch pad. You might find out you love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.