Books on writing YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcllnsfmly

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just purchased a few books (nine to be exact) and I wanted to share the ones I'm reading. I bought Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine (she's the author of Ella Enchanted-I LOVED that book growing up! I actually have funny story about how I ended up reading it...), Wild Ink: How to Write Fiction for Young Adults by Victoria Hanley, Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal by Regina Brooks and I'm also reading a few others that have to do with writing in general (not just YA). Warning, I haven't read them yet so it's a heads up that they're out there =). I put book reviews on my blog so be on the lookout! Thanks guys & hope this helps =))))

-Me.

*SN: I know you can't be taught to write but I definitely want to improve my writing by all means; I love seeking advice in books. So don't slam me for buying a book with "How to Write..." in the title ;)

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
*SN: I know you can't be taught to write but I definitely want to improve my writing by all means; I love seeking advice in books. So don't slam me for buying a book with "How to Write..." in the title ;)
I don't see why anyone would slam you for that, but I also don't see why people can't be taught to write (as long as their motivation and drive is self-generated and they genuinely want to learn). It's not like the Force; no one has only so much inherent writing power.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The Regina Brooks book is really good :) I love reading writing books, too, even if I don't learn from them. I just like to get in a writing state of mind sometimes.

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried any writing books, but you guys have convinced me to give it the ole' college try :)

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about reading books on the "how to write..." lines; they all seem similar and relay the same basic message and lesson. I also believe that writing in the sense of great storytelling is something that can't really be taught, it's something within that's just natural and not forced. But grammar, structure and all that can be taught so I do like that Regina Brooks book I finished a while ago. I'm confident in my storytelling. There's nothing wrong with purchasing books on how to write novels, but I prefer something that will help me perfect my manuscript. It's the mechanics of it, not the story for me, but how it all comes together in a logical and sell-able manner. Writing everyday is the best teacher, with good advice and input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.