The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Authors' Niche / ReadMe Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Publisher] Authors' Niche / ReadMe Books

Throughing this one out to the brain trust. Any info out there about this Pub?? I think they are fairly new.
    JB

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Do you mean these guys:

http://www.authorsniche.com/

Authors Niche Website:
    We also have an internal Literary Agency, Book Cover Design Team and Marketing Division.
    Don't know what they mean by "internal literary agency". It's a conflict of interest for an agent to also act as publisher. Possibly they mean that they are able to handle foreign rights (in which case, I'd want to know the qualifications and would wait to see what (if any) success they have. If that isn't what they mean though, then it's a red flag.

Authors Niche Website:
    We handle some of our own book distribution for our own on line book stores and for a small chain of physical book stores that have 50 stores in the Midwest.
    If they've got contracts in place to distribute in store for 50 stores, then while that's a positive sign, it's not a huge amount of stores.

Authors Niche Website:
    We have accounts to market all of our titles in the major, legitimate book retailers' on line venues as well as the physical stores they may have. We also work with a large book distributor that distributes to larger physical book stores.
    I'd suggest that this is to make available to rather than make available in, but it's worth checking.

Authors Niche Website:
    We do not PRINT out your book in large quantities until it has generated the interest and revenue needed to do so from the on line venues.
    Clarify with them what it means by "generating the interest and revenue needed to do so" and make sure it's accurately recorded in the contract. If they're taking electronic and print rights, then make sure there's a reversion clause in there giving you the rights back if you don't "generate the interest and revenue needed".

Sounds from this as if they're planning on doing offset runs, which is positive as it keeps the cover price down and will help secure distribution in store. Ask how many books they're planning on printing per run.

Authors Niche Website:
    We do print copies, at no cost to Author, that are sent to the large chain book stores for review.
    Erm ... book stores don't typically do book reviews. I'd be worried that Authors Niche doesn't seem to know that.

Authors Niche Website:
    The difference is that Authors' Niche does all that the Literary Agent,Traditional Publisher and Distributor is supposed to do and charges the Author no upfront fees, no mater how it is prepared for publishing (print, Kindle, Nook, PC file or P.O.D.).
    It's this reference to literary agents that makes me think they don't actually understand what agents do.

Authors Niche Website:
    We edit all Literary Work published through Authors' Niche for grammar, punctuation and some content. Our Authors are a small part of the editing process, as far as adding/changing the content, because they are the writers, but we do have the final say. Our Authors do not have a choice to "opt-out" of editing.
    It's good that they're doing editing, but the author is not a minority partner in that process. The author should have the final say on edits to the text and if Authors Niche doesn't agree with it, then they should be terminating the contract.

This makes it sound as if they're reserving the right to make any changes to the book that they want to make.

Authors Niche Website:
    We do design and create all the promo packs an Author needs to assist in marketing himself/herself properly. We also market your book on our own to increase exposure and sales.
    I'd be happier knowing exactly what marketing and promotion the publisher does aside from sending out review copies to book stores ...

Authors Niche Website:
    We do Not pay for gas, food or lodging for book signings and or related events.
    I mention this only because they make a point of saying that:

Authors Niche Website:
    We will set up a book signing tour for the Author.
    If they're setting up a tour, then they should be paying reasonable expenses.

Authors Niche Website:
    We Will provide the files for your marketing needs, but you will have to absorb the cost of printing the material that you use.
    I'd want to know what that material is. If it's posters etc, then I'd want to know why Authors Niche can't pay for that.

Authors Niche Website:
    Our contracts are for 10 years. Our contract is nonnegotiable.
    That right there would be a deal breaker for me. No contract should ever be non-negotiable and if they're going to insist on it, then the least they should be doing is putting up a copy of their contract for authors to look at before wasting time with the submissions process.

Authors Niche Website:
    If an Author wishes to PayPrint through Authors' Niche, we still do all that the Traditional Publisher and Literary Agent do, to include cover design, promotion, distribution and sales, at no upfront cost. The Author is charged prior to printing, for all copies ordered by Author and copies for review. Electronic and P.O.D. books require minimal fees at the time of release. As a result the Author, is "Traditionally Published" and not "Self Published."
    Not sure what this actually means but it seems they may be offering a pay-to-play option, in which case that's straight out vanity publishing.

The other obvious thing I'd say about the website (and acknowledging that it's still under construction) is that almost everything on there is aimed at authors rather than book buyers and there isn't even a forum yet to buy books from them direct.

All in all, I'd want to wait at least 2 years to see how they're doing and what the average sales are like before submitting.

MM

Thanks man!
    Please check your e mail, sent you a private message
    JB

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    Don't know what they mean by "internal literary agency".
    It sounds like an especially unpleasant medical condition.

- Victoria

That was a good one!
    JB

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They've removed the verbiage from the site, but what remains doesn't inspire confidence they've improved as a publisher.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin AliHen's Avatar

Authors' Niche no longer in business

According to an acquaintance whose book was to be published by Authors' Niche, they are bankrupt.

AH

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Yep, further digging finds word they closed in Oct '11.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: