Help me find this book!

sonyablue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unusualincident.wordpress.com
I am trying to find a book about the history of NYC, specifically during the 1980s. It was such a singular time and place I expected to find tons of books about it, and I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any. Can anyone help me with this?

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually a really broad topic. A whole decade in NYC's history! That's pretty major. Unless you can narrow it down a bit (like, "Immigration in NYC in the 1980s," or "Politics in NYC in the 1980s," or "Urban planning in NYC in the 1980s,") your best bet is to find a good history of NYC and focus on the chapters dealing with the 1980s.

My suggestions are:

The New York Times' Book of New York: Stories of the People, the Streets, and the Life of the City Past and Present

Empire City: New York Through the Centuries (by Ken Jackson)

Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City

New York: An Illustrated History (by Ric Burns)

Good luck!

sonyablue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unusualincident.wordpress.com
It's actually a really broad topic. A whole decade in NYC's history! That's pretty major. Unless you can narrow it down a bit (like, "Immigration in NYC in the 1980s," or "Politics in NYC in the 1980s," or "Urban planning in NYC in the 1980s,") your best bet is to find a good history of NYC and focus on the chapters dealing with the 1980s.

My suggestions are:

The New York Times' Book of New York: Stories of the People, the Streets, and the Life of the City Past and Present

Empire City: New York Through the Centuries (by Ken Jackson)

Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City

New York: An Illustrated History (by Ric Burns)

Good luck!

Thanks! (and sorry for the delay in coming back here) I was looking specifically for crime-related topics, but also general history. I am going to check out your recommendations - thanks again!