AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: [Agency] A.M. Heath & Co. Ltd.

  1. #1
    On a wing and a prayer aruna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A Small Town in Germany
    Posts
    12,704

    [Agency] A.M. Heath & Co. Ltd.

    I noticed that this agency did not yet have a thread, so this is it. They are a first class agency, one of the oldest in London, highly recommended. Sarah was my agent from 1998 - 2004. She is wonderful, but has since switched to children's lit only. All of her clients have moved to other agents within the agency as a result. They are very personal and take great care of their clients, as you can see from this thread.

    When I was with them they had this wonderful quirky office in St Martin's Lane, lots of up-and-down slanting staircases over several floors. Then they moved to what I suppose are really nice modern offices; I never got to see the new place.
    Last edited by aruna; 05-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

    Amazon US:

    Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

    Website
    Facebook


    Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

  2. #2
    not napping... brainstorming! TudorRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    491
    This thread isn't getting a lot of traffic... but anyone planning to submit to this agency in the near future might like to check out the Twitter Q&A session they're doing on 15 May.

    http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/2...witter-surgery

  3. #3
    not napping... brainstorming! TudorRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    491
    Just in case anyone's planning to query --

    Agent Sarah Molloy is to retire from A M Heath at the end of July...
    Julia Churchill is to take over primary representation of the full childrenís list, including estates.
    Full article: http://www.thebookseller.com/news/m-...oy-retire.html

  4. #4
    On a wing and a prayer aruna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A Small Town in Germany
    Posts
    12,704
    Sarah Molloy used to be my agent. She is wonderful, but as we are around the same age... yes, that's retirement age in the UK. In Germany, I still have a few more years to go.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

    Amazon US:

    Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

    Website
    Facebook


    Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

  5. #5
    Hopelessly Hopeful Tromboli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,057
    Julia Churchill runs #askagent on twitter pretty often and she seems fantastic. Had trouble finding this thread though. Guess there is nothing bad to be found?

    Edit to add a question. I plan on querying her but was looking at the website form. They want a query, synopsis and there is a place to attach a doc for the "submission"... does this mean the full manuscript? http://www.amheath.com/submissions
    Last edited by Tromboli; 12-16-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    http://Www.staceytrombley.com-

    NAKED- available now from Entangled Teen
    PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES- January 2017, Entangled Crush

  6. #6
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,680
    They no longer take paper subs, there's a submission form on the website

    "wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

  7. #7
    a demon for tea EMaree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromboli View Post
    Edit to add a question. I plan on querying her but was looking at the website form. They want a query, synopsis and there is a place to attach a doc for the "submission"... does this mean the full manuscript? http://www.amheath.com/submissions
    The submission is your first few chapters up to 10,000 words. It's defined at the bottom of the page along with formatting info.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

    I have an agent!

    Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

  8. #8
    New kid, be gentle! K.L Hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    98
    Julia Churchill seems great on twitter. Helps authors, very personable. Sent an attachment of my MS, just under 10,000 word of it, along with a synopsis, and cover letter/query.

    we'll see . . .
    www.karenleehallam.com

    THE UNMOVING SKY " ... a chilling young adult thriller." (Leap/Shine Books, May 16, 2016)



  9. #9
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    Julia is a delight. A good agent, too.

  10. #10
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    I have a question about their query submission instructions. I did a Twitter Pitch contest they put on last week and have had a request, but I find their instructions, below, confusing. A synopsis that doesn't tell you how the book ends? Or much at all, it seems. I don't have much experience querying British agencies, but do they want a blurb-type thing? They state they only want '2 to 3' lines about the book in the actual query letter.:

    What to put in a synopsis

    We donít need (or really want) to know every twist and turn of your plot before we actually read it Ė a synopsis should simply expand on the few lines from your covering letter to give us a better sense of plot and characters, and an idea of where the story is going. Definitely donít feel as though you have to use up all of the 1,500 word maximum.





  11. #11
    a demon for tea EMaree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,458
    Augh, yeah, those guidelines would send me into a tizzy. Don't think they have an adult sci-fi/fantasy agent (according to their bios, anyway, though the form has a section) so I skipped them this time in the trenches.

    I would do a covering letter with a super-short pitch paragraph and lengthened bio, and then put the full query in the synopsis box. But I would do all of these things while pulling my hair out, probably.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

    I have an agent!

    Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

  12. #12
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    Augh, yeah, those guidelines would send me into a tizzy. Don't think they have an adult sci-fi/fantasy agent (according to their bios, anyway, though the form has a section) so I skipped them this time in the trenches.

    I would do a covering letter with a super-short pitch paragraph and lengthened bio, and then put the full query in the synopsis box. But I would do all of these things while pulling my hair out, probably.
    Ugh! Thanks EMaree.

  13. #13
    Great Old One CameronJohnston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    Augh, yeah, those guidelines would send me into a tizzy. Don't think they have an adult sci-fi/fantasy agent (according to their bios, anyway, though the form has a section) so I skipped them this time in the trenches.

    I would do a covering letter with a super-short pitch paragraph and lengthened bio, and then put the full query in the synopsis box. But I would do all of these things while pulling my hair out, probably.
    Yup, exactly this. A brief 'elevator' pitch in a query letter, and then all they are looking for with the synopsis is, if they like the partial enough, a brief overview of where the story goes and how it ends.
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

  14. #14
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronJohnston View Post
    Yup, exactly this. A brief 'elevator' pitch in a query letter, and then all they are looking for with the synopsis is, if they like the partial enough, a brief overview of where the story goes and how it ends.
    Okay, I hope I did the right thing. Thanks.

  15. #15
    figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    59
    I got a like from one of their agents, but I had already submitted to a different one in the agency. I sent them a quick message explaining as such and they responded very quickly and were so lovely, even in just a brief exchange. They seem like great people so far

  16. #16
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by TMeuretBooks View Post
    I got a like from one of their agents, but I had already submitted to a different one in the agency. I sent them a quick message explaining as such and they responded very quickly and were so lovely, even in just a brief exchange. They seem like great people so far
    Yay! Good luck! I had a like from one of their agents, but when I looked at his profile he didn't seem to rep the type of book I'm flogging. I e-mailed his assistant to ask if I should still send, and she was lovely. She said to send it to this other agent, who'd be expecting my query. (If I ever managed to work out their submission synopsis conundrum). I think I may have botched this sub, as I ended up not sending then a synopsis spelling out the ending. It was more like an expansion on the elevator pitch query letter, a blurb-type...thing. Ack.

  17. #17
    figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Yay! Good luck! I had a like from one of their agents, but when I looked at his profile he didn't seem to rep the type of book I'm flogging. I e-mailed his assistant to ask if I should still send, and she was lovely. She said to send it to this other agent, who'd be expecting my query. (If I ever managed to work out their submission synopsis conundrum). I think I may have botched this sub, as I ended up not sending then a synopsis spelling out the ending. It was more like an expansion on the elevator pitch query letter, a blurb-type...thing. Ack.
    I'm sure whatever you sent was fine. As long as they have a basic idea, I think they're satisfied. They even said to keep it brief and not bother using all of the allotted character space. Don't fret! You're (obviously) doing great!

  18. #18
    figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Yay! Good luck! I had a like from one of their agents, but when I looked at his profile he didn't seem to rep the type of book I'm flogging. I e-mailed his assistant to ask if I should still send, and she was lovely. She said to send it to this other agent, who'd be expecting my query. (If I ever managed to work out their submission synopsis conundrum). I think I may have botched this sub, as I ended up not sending then a synopsis spelling out the ending. It was more like an expansion on the elevator pitch query letter, a blurb-type...thing. Ack.
    Also, if it helps you feel better I recently sent a query where I spelled the title of my book wrong in the subject line, soooooo

  19. #19
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    Synopses always give away the ending.

    Agents won't reject a book just because the synopsis doesn't give away the ending. They'll reject because they don't think they can sell the book, or they don't like it, but not because of a slightly wrong synopsis. Don't worry.

  20. #20
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by TMeuretBooks View Post
    Also, if it helps you feel better I recently sent a query where I spelled the title of my book wrong in the subject line, soooooo
    Oh man, I feel you pain! I think the worst mishap I've had was when I was preparing a sub and went to get a cuppa. My cat decided to stroll across my keyboard and send the e-mail for me. I'd already attached the ms, but the letter was in awful shape, and no subject in the subject line. I still cannot understand why I never heard back from that publisher.

    I'm not holding my breath on my UK agent subs (not many so far). My books have never hit the mark with British agents and I don't expect this one will either.
    Last edited by Pisco Sour; 09-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.

  21. #21
    Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In chaos
    Posts
    21,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    I have a question about their query submission instructions. I did a Twitter Pitch contest they put on last week and have had a request, but I find their instructions, below, confusing. A synopsis that doesn't tell you how the book ends? Or much at all, it seems. I don't have much experience querying British agencies, but do they want a blurb-type thing? They state they only want '2 to 3' lines about the book in the actual query letter.:

    What to put in a synopsis

    We don’t need (or really want) to know every twist and turn of your plot before we actually read it – a synopsis should simply expand on the few lines from your covering letter to give us a better sense of plot and characters, and an idea of where the story is going. Definitely don’t feel as though you have to use up all of the 1,500 word maximum.
    Just to clarify: in this quoted text, it doesn't say anywhere that they don't want to know the ending of the book. They do say they don't need to know "every twist and turn of your plot", but that's a different thing: if you tried to put everything into a synopsis, it would end up as long as your novel.

  22. #22
    practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mad woman in the attic
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Just to clarify: in this quoted text, it doesn't say anywhere that they don't want to know the ending of the book. They do say they don't need to know "every twist and turn of your plot", but that's a different thing: if you tried to put everything into a synopsis, it would end up as long as your novel.
    Yes, it's totally open to interpretation. Mine was that getting only a 'sense' of plot and characters, and 'an idea' of where the story is going is utterly confounding. lol

  23. #23
    figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisco Sour View Post
    Oh man, I feel you pain! I think the worst mishap I've had was when I was preparing a sub and went to get a cuppa. My cat decided to stroll across my keyboard and send the e-mail for me. I'd already attached the ms, but the letter was in awful shape, and no subject in the subject line. I still cannot understand why I never heard back from that publisher.

    I'm not holding my breath on my UK agent subs (not many so far). My books have never hit the mark with British agents and I don't expect this one will either.
    Oh boy, darn cat!!!!

    Well good luck, and don't stress! (Says the pot to the kettle)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search