Does anyone else have this problem

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
By the time I get done writing my post, I always get dumped out of AW and have to sign back in. When I do, it re-directs me to a page that never loads. Then I lose my post and have to start it all over again. If it is an especially long one, it isn't worth the effort to try to reconstruct it. I am getting tired of the hassle and may just quit posting. Anyone else have this problem?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few questions . . .

What browser are you using?

Do you check "Remember me" when you sign in?

Have you cleaned out your cookies and cache lately?

Have you set your options to accept all cookies from AW?

Does this only happen on the AW website?

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I circumvent problems like this by never ever writing a forum post or anything else into a textarea on a web page. I always write in my editor of choice first, then copy and paste.

I used to use a firefox extension that opened my editor when I clicked in a textarea. It's been a while--I think it was called "its all text" or something like that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this has just started happening, the first thing I'd do is clean out my cookies and cache, then reboot the computer.

Sometimes a timing-out problem can be easy to fix, and sometimes it takes some work.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Generally, I copy the text before I try to post, but I often forget to do it before I hit the post reply button.

Google Chrome is the browser. The computer has had the hd wiped and Xp re-installed when I got it a month ago. It has always done this. There shouldn't be enough cache or cookies on there to mess it up yet. And I have the history set to dump after a couple of days. Still, it will not re-direct me to what I tried to post, just a blank page.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
What alleycat said. That happens to me on every single vBulletin site (not just AW) I've ever been on if I don't a) click the remember me box when I log in; b) tell the browser to remember my password. There's also a c) that happens sometimes... if I click "open in new tab" for when I'm quoting multiple posters in a thread? It will often have me logged out in the NEW tab, but okay in the original. That one I haven't sorted yet.

Deleted member 42

What alleycat said. That happens to me on every single vBulletin site (not just AW) I've ever been on if I don't a) click the remember me box when I log in; b) tell the browser to remember my password. There's also a c) that happens sometimes... if I click "open in new tab" for when I'm quoting multiple posters in a thread? It will often have me logged out in the NEW tab, but okay in the original. That one I haven't sorted yet.

It's because of the way the browser is contacting the server; it's arbitrarily identifying it as a "New Session," which means the cookie is overwritten.

This is more likely to happen with I.E, but I've seen it happen on other browsers as well.

Deleted member 42

Generally, I copy the text before I try to post, but I often forget to do it before I hit the post reply button.

Google Chrome is the browser. The computer has had the hd wiped and Xp re-installed when I got it a month ago. It has always done this. There shouldn't be enough cache or cookies on there to mess it up yet. And I have the history set to dump after a couple of days. Still, it will not re-direct me to what I tried to post, just a blank page.

Log off
Clear your cookies
Quit Chrome
Log back on and be sure to check the little box that says "remember me"

The cookie is used to identify you to the server, and to track whether or not you are "active".

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Wow, I didn't know that was a problem. Happens to me if I blather on too long. Even, I think, in e-mail.

If I'm going to be wordy, I use another program and cut and paste afterwards.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Just in case, I usually copy a longer post to my clipboard. Pasting it into a text editor sounds much more secure, but it's a little too tedious for my taste.