Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the intricate dance of politics on a starship that's 7 miles long and has a crew of about 110,000 souls require an entrenched nobility!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have a sort-of love triangle in Suns and Stars.

ETA: I'm pretty sure this essay isn't going to be anywhere near 3K. ><

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I have triangles, squares, frowned upon, and one that's just a little bit messed up--at least it is on the side where the feelings are. She's (about to turn) 18, and he's a couple of hundred years old. No, not a vampire. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, boo!

ETA: Finished working on my essay for today. 973 words. Long quotes FTW. :tongue

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I have triangles, squares, frowned upon, and one that's just a little bit messed up--at least it is on the side where the feelings are. She's (about to turn) 18, and he's a couple of hundred years old. No, not a vampire. :tongue

Hehe. Then is he an immortal? Or maybe he's a statue that can turn into a human...

My character is about to turn 18 as well and her LI is 23. I worry about the age difference sometimes even if it's not that huge of one.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Isaac and Stephan are 16 and will turn 17 in the process of the novel.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. Then is he an immortal? Or maybe he's a statue that can turn into a human...

My character is about to turn 18 as well and her LI is 23. I worry about the age difference sometimes even if it's not that huge of one.

The first is closer..... But anywho....

I don't think I'd worry too much about that difference. Of course, my freshman year of college (so basically when I was 19) I liked a guy who was turning 26. At first it was weird to me, but then I realized it didn't matter that much. My friend (who is 21) got married in August, and the guy she married is 32(?...I think).

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, people confuse me. When you ask people about a topic, why do they sometimes go out of their way to tell you why doesn't it qualify as YA?

My character is an eighteen-year-old teen mom of a ten-month-old daughter starting her senior year of highschool. The story is about demons and witches. But it can't qualify as YA because my character is a teen mom yet there are multiple YA books out there where that talk about teen pregnancy in realistic terms, but that doesn't matter if it's a paranormal story?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. She's a teenager. Why should it matter whether she's a mother or not?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
MA - It qualifies as YA to me. JUST WRITE IT. Don't listen to everyone else. Your main character is still in high school and sure she has a kid but there are loads of kids out there with kids who are still in high school and...you had a valid point with Bella. If Breaking Dawn can be considered YA, then why can't your book?

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. She's a teenager. Why should it matter whether she's a mother or not?

That is what I am trying to figure out, Lisa, but people are telling me that because my character is a teen mom then the story wouldn't qualify as YA.

Is fighting demons and witches unrealistic when you're a teen mom? Isn't paranormal fiction unrealistic as it is?

Ely, you're right. I am just going to write it. I just wanted some opinions about writing about teen moms because I didn't want to glorify or bash it. I wasn't worried about whether it was considered YA or not.

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I don't really think people should flip out over age differences, especially if two people love each other.

Well, it depends on the ages, though. Like... When I was 13-14 one of my really good friends was dating this guy who'd just turned 20. A six year difference isn't that big of a deal when you're older, but at that age it kind of is. Once a person hits 18, though, the difference matters a *whole* lot less. Like, there are still boundaries (like an 18-19 year old with a 35-40 year old is just wrong :tongue), but the age gap matters less and less the older the people are.

...Of course, I have a bit of a crush on a 900-and something year old.... :D

Speaking of whom....

549a2ba5-8672-4dfa-b9c2-16755588dfb7.jpg

...And there's this picture that's just kind of awesome.

mind.jpg

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Watching War Horse and waiting for Benedict Cumberbatch.... Desperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.