Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The sun is part of an important plot/character feature, so it's best for it to be set in summer.

Although... are you just saying it doesn't matter if it's set later this year?

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
Morning!

Morning team. After several months and much cursing, I'm finally on the very last chapter before the midbook climax. If I can just get through this, all hell will break loose, including the massacre of the secondary characters and gratuitous damage to a fine piece of architecture.

Sounds epic. Which piece of architecture?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Watching The Borrowers. Tom Felton was so cute in it, ahahahaha. :D

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I think HR meant that you dont have to worry about when the book takes place.

I say it competley ok... I'd do it myself if i could write faster and i wasnt such an insane fact checker. But your not going for the ultra real feeling like i am i assume.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
No.

I think I have come up with a solution - keep his mum's birthday, and say the wedding's been put off!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
whiteing stripes are always painful... stopped using them almost right away... not worth the insane aggrivation

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just hope my draft is mostly clean, make sense and the major things is the dates/length of time between events.

Tally, how many times did you edit and give MAAH to betas before querying? I've always wondered if there's an 'ideal' number or if it depends on how clean your drafts are.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hum... see that used to be a big problem of mine before i started outlinning, the overall cleanness of the draft... but over time its gotten much better. Only took me rewritting my first book 4-5 times!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I don't have to do that. This is my fourth version, and my dream is to be published by the time I turn 21. Or should I just aim for a book deal?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Ideal? No such thing. My experience? Ehh...

I did the one pass revision technique. Then sent it to betas. Then went over it again with that advice. And started querying... December or January, I think.

But even now, I'll occasionally get some advice on a full or partial and say "man, they're right," and go over it again. It's all relative.

ETA: But Lisa, it can take 3 years from contract to publication date. And you cannot control exterior forces. Make your goal something you can control entirely.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a notebook packed with notes...

I'm thinking I'll print out the manuscript and work on a chapter at a time, plot and characterisation (sp?) first, then the wording, dialogue etc, then type up that chapter in the second draft, before moving to the next one (I'll do chapter-by-chapter in case anything changes).

Now to figure out the best way to print out the manuscript and keep the hard copy safe AND easy to mark up when I'm working on that stage.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday!

Lisa, you aren't supposed to have the notes NOW. You're supposed to finish the book, THEN write down the theme etc, then print out the manuscript and figuratively tear it to shreds, while writing down your changes in the notebook.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I still thinking my (thought-up) method is okay. Imma try that.

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 16 ^_^

On another note, I've finished chapter 2. This means a character I like very much will be introduced soon~

Status
Not open for further replies.