Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OK.

Annoyed because I'm failing at cross stitch, but a little less frustrated when it comes to subplots for Sticks and Stones.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, why do you worry about subplots Lisa?

I read back on the last page, and you put alot of thoughts into yours, dont you ever just let them happen?

I never plan mine, they just sort of happen along with the rest of the story.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
My drafts are always either too short (like 40k) or too long (like 110k). I can never hit the sweetspot length, it's a curse, haha.

Also, I just have to say that I love Invincible Summer madly.

My first draft of Coldfire was 147,000 words. I believe I may have laughed hysterically when I finished it so I wouldn't cry. It's now down to 104k and will possibly get cut even more before I'm done with it :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
My first book is 125K. My longest 195K. This one now will probably end up anywehre between 100K and 125K.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm on Chapter Four now, which should about 11.5K if both scenes are 1.5K. I have no idea how many chapters I'm going to have.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My first draft of Coldfire was 147,000 words. I believe I may have laughed hysterically when I finished it so I wouldn't cry. It's now down to 104k and will possibly get cut even more before I'm done with it :D

I have a theory that you can cut or expand any story to any length during revisions. And another theory that most novice writers overwrite so much that you can slash a third from the wordcount of most first novels without trying. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an exception to that. The first thing I finished, which I was hoping would be a novel, was 15K, 17K after a round of revisions.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I speak from bitter, bitter experience. BITTER.

There are definitely people who have problems with underwriting, and I sympathise! But my anecdotal experience is that the majority of novice writers overwrite. A lot. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I have a theory that you can cut or expand any story to any length during revisions. And another theory that most novice writers overwrite so much that you can slash a third from the wordcount of most first novels without trying. :tongue

Hummmm I'm going to dispute this, i've re-written my first book about 5 times and i have never been able to get it down past 120K. I blame that to the plot behind it and the scientific method though.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Para: In your opinion, what's better? Overwriting or underwriting?

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here. Writing by hand so my hand can get to know what holding a pen and writing feels like again. haha

I underwrite. My vampire story that I finished ended up at only 50,000, but then by the time I'd cut out all the crappy bits (i mean, really crappy) it went down to about 35000. :(

emmawhy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :D
I've had a really bad day at school (actually bad for a reason for once), so am going to do some writing to cheer me up.
Anyone up for a wordwar?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Suns and Stars (the version I finished) was about 37K if I remember rightly.

emmawhy

Registered
Reaction score
I always overwrite and am going to try and underwrite instead - it is less work to fix for me
Word war from :55 to :55 (1hr) anyone?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
i overwrite to the extreme although i dont see that as a bad thing. Some stories need to be longer then others, i dont find that a flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.