Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just one of those things that only you can tell with your plot. Sorry.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an enormous Harry Potter fan, because what matters to me in Harry Potter is the emotions and the relationships (platonic and romantic), which I get out of both the films and the books. So I never understand how a person can think a movie is 'ruined' by a few plot changes.

It was ruined (in my own opinion - i know lots of people don't agree, and I don't care much) because they didn't do the books justice. The first two.. well, yes they were okay, but as the books went on, they missed too much out and it got disappointing. For instance, Order of the Phoenix was my favourite book, and I wasn't happy with how they shot the film. Half Blood Prince: They missed out quite a few vital scenes, and Deathly Hallows, part 1 was okay, but part 2 was good up until the last half hour.
Again, that's just what I think... I'm not judging anyone who loved it all or who doesn't like it either way. I'm still, and will always be, a Harry Potter fan. Just because I'm not jumping for joy every time something new happens in the fandom, doesn't make me any less of a fan. Sometimes I think some people need to realise there are different levels to being a fan. There's the subtle, and there's the crazy. lol

Anyway, enough with the heavy. How is everyone today? I'm cold :(

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I can say that for my novels, i never plan the climax, its just usually the when the big twist is relieved or when all the shit from the whole book comes to a drastic point. I don't plan for it to be a a certain spot. i just let the story run its course.

Let see if i can come up with understandable examples.

Ok. For my first book. The climax is probably about 2/3 in. When finally the MC's are informed with what the hell is going on through-out the whole book. Its the moment right after they learn all they need to know and are prepared to die, then Ally realized, they were going to fight and live. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Another example is my seventh book. I'd say the climax happened only 3 chapters from the end. When after the CIA finally kidnapped my MC's and began experimenting on them. Just when it seemed they all would break and either kill themselves or shut down completely, Pip was the one who motivated them all to keep it together. I'd say his talk with Ally was the climax, because it set into motion her plan to set them all free.

It really all depends on where your plot is going and its all up to you. There is no right or wrong placement for it. I dont even find it wrong if a book doesnt have one... some stories just dont need one. (few fall in that category but still)

Last edited:

RaePot

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, the climax's location is definitely plot driven: if the plot says its there, its there. My climax starts really winding up about 3/4 of the way through and finally comes to a head in the last chapter, though it's been slowly building throughout the story obviously.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. :)

I'm going to put my short story on SYW soon, so I can try editing it Thursday/Friday. I'm terrified.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Relax, Lisa! I'm sure it's great!

Writing TL...I need to figure out some characterization stuffs first though

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
What I really need help with is how to cut it. It's too long to hand in.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Cut needless description/dialogue. Shorten lengthy sentences. Shorten sentences in general using words/phrases that say the same idea using fewer words. See if you start/end it at the right place. And that's all I've got.

ETA: G2G. Gonna focus on writing fully now

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
that link doesnt work, we can only see it once you post it.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Totally not in the writing zone today...hmm any tips to get it back up and running? lol

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the first two Harry Potter movies, because... they were exact replicas. And the reason Harry Potter is so special is that everybody gets something personal out of it. The first two movies didn't have as much feeling. The two Deathly Hallows movies are some of my favorites. The first was all about the characters, and their relationships, and the movie was so honest and heartbreakingly true to that. The second was about sacrifice and love, and they did the same thing. All that matters to me, really, is that they're true to the characters they created.

The Harry Potter movie characters and the Harry Potter book characters aren't quite the same. That's why the movies are 'based on the novel' and not 'the movie of the novel'.

I understand that for some people, they'd rather have an exact copy of the book, but not me. I've already cried over the novel. I want something new to make my feel.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Tally.

The only time I get pissed off with a novel adaptation is when they ignore really important stuff. Like Voldemort's mum in HBP.

Last edited:

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the first two Harry Potter movies, because... they were exact replicas. And the reason Harry Potter is so special is that everybody gets something personal out of it. The first two movies didn't have as much feeling. The two Deathly Hallows movies are some of my favorites. The first was all about the characters, and their relationships, and the movie was so honest and heartbreakingly true to that. The second was about sacrifice and love, and they did the same thing. All that matters to me, really, is that they're true to the characters they created.

The Harry Potter movie characters and the Harry Potter book characters aren't quite the same. That's why the movies are 'based on the novel' and not 'the movie of the novel'.

I understand that for some people, they'd rather have an exact copy of the book, but not me. I've already cried over the novel. I want something new to make my feel.

Oh completely got the relationship between the characters, and how much they grew throughout, but what I didn't like about the last part of Part 2 was how they shot the "battle" scene. It was way too cgi'd and fancy, and so not what I imagined.
Everyone has their reasons for why they like certain things or why they don't like certain things, so you know... it's all moot really, it's just a movie. lol The books, as always, are better. :) Peace and love and all that jazz. I mean you no harm, Tally. Just sharing my 2cents.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to focus on writing. BLAH!

Need coffee, me thinks...a huge cup!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm listening to newly downloaded music. I'm hoping the mood of the songs will inspire me to write. Who knows... it might.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
EXCEPT AQUAMARINE!

-hated the book, loved the movie-

And maybe the Howl's Moving Castle movie is better too, 'cause, yanno, Miyazaki.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the LOTR films, not the biggest fan of the books. I love the story, but the writing drags a bit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.