Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Story planning and I have a love-hate relationship. I love knowing where my story might be going, but I hate the actual planning part. :<

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Using that logic, alcohol should be illegal until you're 26 because that's when brain development stops. Also, the key words are in excess. Are kids more likely to drink to excess when they're out with their friends at some party drinking because it's "cool" (mostly because of the illegality) or when they're at home in a safe environment under the supervision of their parents?

Ideally, parents should bring up their kids to have a responsible attitude to alcohol, but it doesn't always work that way. Laws are meant to act as deterrents - these days, however, not many people respect that. It doesn't help that depictions of young people drinking/taking drugs (and this being associated with the 'exciting' lifestyle of the rich and famous) are becoming more and more prevalent in media.

I'm in a thinking/plotting mode. I should start writing... around about now, since I've reached a bit of a breakthrough. *crosses fingers*

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I started off at 32% of the way through revisions and now I'm at 38%. I think I'm done for the day. I want to finish by the 12th, so if I do at least 13 pages a day, I should be good.

13 pages a day is so doable. I think I can make it!

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Is this for CMRH, Karla? You seem to be going at a pretty good pace!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Using that logic, alcohol should be illegal until you're 26 because that's when brain development stops. Also, the key words are in excess. Are kids more likely to drink to excess when they're out with their friends at some party drinking because it's "cool" (mostly because of the illegality) or when they're at home in a safe environment under the supervision of their parents?

I think there's a big difference between a parent drugging her kid with alcohol and cough medicine (which IMO is child abuse) and a parent letting her kid have a glass of wine or a beer when they're at home.

Brain stops developing at 21 which is why they said people under 21 shouldn't have aspirin till then because it can screw with brain chemistry. Although i personally think people shouldn't be aloud to drink till 25-26 anyway just for the maturity level.

I've had friends parents who let them drink at home and would buy alcohol for them and friends. Those parents weren't responsible. Its was just a normal party with a shit ton of teenagers drinking excessively the only difference were the parents were home and drinking too.

Had one friend who's dad would take her and her sister to bars with him and his girlfriend! Responsible? No. Now if were talking about a parent letting there kid drink a small glass of wine at dinner on holidays or something like that, well i dont believe they should go to jail, but if its a parent who lets there kids drink whatever they want whenever they want,in the house, i find that irresponsible.

Had a friend in highschool who nearly died because her parents were like that. For her 15th birthday party they let her throw a party and bought hard alcohol and keg of beer. The only rule, "just dont leave the house."
At 1am when most of the kids either left or were passed out my friends little brother (11 at the time) came downstairs, and found his sister in the kitchen barely breathing. He had to wake up his parents who had fallen asleep on the couch and they rushed her to the hospital to get her stomach pumped, for she had alcohol poisoning. They didnt get charged but i think they should have gotten fined for something. If her little brother hadnt found her she would have died. And that was with parental supervision.

I'm just a person with strong feelings against alcohol though.

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Ally - wasn't that what Horserider had just said...? That there should be a difference between letting kids poison themselves and merely letting them taste alcohol :/

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
No yeah i know. Tasting isn't against the law. (at least i dont think) If that's all it is, i think its fine.

But just simple parental supervision in a house sometimes goes astray. I'm more against people buying there kids alcohol for parties. I dont think that's right and i think they should be fined and charged.

Again i'm a really really strong believer against alcohol at all though. That's why i get hotheaded over topics that it include. Its just me I'm a party pooper. hehehe.

Last edited:

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Brain stops developing at 21 which is why they said people under 21 shouldn't have aspirin till then because it can screw with brain chemistry. Although i personally think people shouldn't be aloud to drink till 25-26 anyway just for the maturity level.

So does every other psychotropic drug on the market, but that doesn't stop us from prescribing them to anyone and everyone. As for the age the brain stops developing, that depends on the age of the research you're reading.

See...I agree with what you're saying. But I also think the government has way too much say it what people do. And there's no real way to sort out the responsible and the irresponsible.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
But it's fuuuuuun~

lol, no. well, yes, but no. I rarely drink. Too many calories.

Whenever I'm at dinner with close family friends, I'll have a glass of wine. On special occasions, I'll have a mimosa at home.

And occasionally I'll have something to drink at a party, but never more than a shot. I really like watching other people make fools of themselves, and my sarcastic commentary isn't quite as witty when I'm not sober.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:waves:
Hey. Got the email the other day. My short story was accepted into the Dark Light anthology, published by CH&BB Publishing! :hooray: And the anthology will be in print! I can finally hold my work.
:D
What's up with everyone?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the kind of person who likes the government prying into our lives a bit more. I like age limits on things. Me and my friend argue about this all the time, but he's a a person who thinks everything is a conspiracy.

Coming from a family of all alcoholics, i really grew to hate alcohol and parties and such.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats MR!

Lvae - Yup, it's for CMRH! :D I hadmthe 32% revised since I think November. All I know is that I was working on that on/off as well as the first draft for other WIPs like TL, AWM, and my new one, TPC.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats MR!

Lvae - Yup, it's for CMRH! :D I hadmthe 32% revised since I think November. All I know is that I was working on that on/off as well as the first draft for other WIPs like TL, AWM, and my new one, TPC.

Thought you were working on the Angel one?

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Ally, you should know by now that I am an indecisive writer lmao

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
You're working so hard, Karla! :) Let me know if you ever need a beta again!

Congratulations, Myst!

And I'm sorry to hear that, Ally. I feel so lucky I grew up in a relatively balanced family, and the opinions I hold mostly come from second hand experiences (and so they're more changeable, or even transient that way).

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I will definitely let you know, Lvae! Your beta notes were super helpful when you looked at the first few chapters of Love Square!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hahahah sorry Ely, I still have homework myself. What kind is it?

And its ok Ivae, shit happens.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Pssst guys. It's Lvae not Ivae. Arial font lower case l's look like capital I's lol.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a pet peeve for me whenever I see people use I's hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.