Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexxx

A Writer Who Seeks
Registered
Reaction score
Wow I don't think I'd be able to handle horror. Too dark, at the least. Can't sit through a horror movie let alone reading a book haha. Dark is okay depending on how dark I guess, but what really matters is the plot to me. I like big, significant plots, not like plots for the sake of romance or dark paranormal for example, if that makes sense.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
No that makes sense. I'm the same way. Probably why all my plots are so complex and why i prefer to write series.

Oh i LOVE horror movies! I write my books with the hope they scare the shit out of people. One really big pet peve of mine is how YA has no real horror books. Paranormal books do not equal horror. And there aren't even that many paranormal books without the stupid romance attached.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
There's a reason for that, Ally. Although teens may enjoy a good horror movie from time to time, a lot of them don't *want* to read horror, and if they do they feel like they may as well read the adult.

Alexxx

A Writer Who Seeks
Registered
Reaction score
True. I prefer it if there's romance attached, but there's a fine line between attached and taking over the plot. Or if it gets cheesy. But that's just me. How horror do you get? Like all blood and guts spewing at every chapter? ;p

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Might be true. But as a child i always wanted to read something scary and after i grew out of Goosebumps there was nothing but adult books. And most adult horror books also have sex in them. Which i was so not comfortable reading so i always wished there was YA horror books. I know others out there like myself. So I think they would find it entertaining.

Plus my books arent as scary as Steven Kings or anything. Parts of them are(I hope) Not the whole thing. They get darker and more frightening as the series continues. That's why I also call them Thrillers.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
True. I prefer it if there's romance attached, but there's a fine line between attached and taking over the plot. Or if it gets cheesy. But that's just me. How horror do you get? Like all blood and guts spewing at every chapter? ;p

No. Well not in all my books...I'll leave it up to you to decide. I'll break down the plots/level of horror-ness

By book...
1) not really scary. Characters are only 13 and the thrills they go through technically arnt real (long story). That book is really more a UF as I've been told because its is about the MC's and there abilities.

2) A Serial Killer with a good many mental problems breaks out of ESP and my MC witness him kill a guy so now the serial killer, Adam is out to kill the only witnesses my MC. There are a good bit of twists in the book and the ending is kind of depressing/slightly bloody.

3) All the irrational childhood fears of my MC's come to life and try to kill them. Dolls, rabid dogs, ghosts, ect.... Bit epic twist at the end little gore.

4) Much like the first one, where its more a UF, but there is a good bit of death and one very brutal heartbreaking death. Plus the antagonist gets shot in the eye at the end.

5)A religious nut job thinks my MC's are the Devil's spawn because she witnesses Laura's eyes change (part of there ability... long story) Now she and her henchman are out to kill them and "send there souls back to the hell". Good bit of gore, plus one of her henchman is also a serial rapist, who is now after one of the MC's

6) Hillibilly town of deformed hillbillies, kidnap a schoolbus my MC's are on. My MC's have to save there class and escape with there lives. LOTS of blood and gore. Most violent book.

7) CIA finds out about the MC's abilities and trys to abduct them When they finally do they put them through alot of HORRIBLE tests.

8) A serial killer that kills on the clock of holidays. My MC's stumble upon him and try to stop him but also get caught in the crossfire.

9) The one truly horror book i'm writing and having alot of trouble with. My Mc's get trapped in a messed up haunted house from hell.

Alexxx

A Writer Who Seeks
Registered
Reaction score
Nice healthy list you got there. I can see complexity of the plots. I like plots that have a psychological aspect to them, like if you're dealing with sociopaths or serial killers, and in your case I think that's common lol.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Plus what my MC's are is pretty interesting and if you like science you would like them. I have real life science that backs up there abilities.

Really the series is just the story of all the horrible stuff that happens to a group of 6 kids over a series of 10 years (13-23) and how they deal with what they are and the stuff that happens to them. The horror and stuff is added in because each story needs a plot and exciting points.

Alexxx

A Writer Who Seeks
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting I like particular plots with like kids having powers, and it's cool when the author actually has the science to back up at least part of it to make it sound a little realistic.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
the goal of my series is to make it sound and be as realistic as possible. That's why i back up everything with real science. And that's why i call them abilities and not powers because all the things my Freaks can do fit within the realm of reality and are just extremes of real human abilities. (I'm already a Chem major but i went as far as sitting in classes i didnt need so i could get a better grasp of the human body and functions.) I also use real places and even look up the weather for every day i write about so i'm extremely accurate.

My goal for believeablity is also the reason i write the way i do. A lot of people dont like the way i write because i'm apparently breaking a huge writing rule but i dont care. I put myself in my books. I'm the narrator and one of the MC's in my own fictional series. Weird i know right but i have a reason behind my madness.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
YAY! I *finally* finished this chapter! ... :e2yawn: ...And I think it's about time I hit the sack. But hey, 78k! That's like 2.5k today, which is 2k more than I've done in quite a while..... :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon everybody! It's Christmas Eve! :D

Ally, you might enjoy Ilsa B1ck's ASH3S? It's a YA post-apocalyptic horror novel I really enjoyed. I picked it up not entirely realising it was a horror novel, so I was pretty shocked (but enthralled!) by the level of scariness. It has a badass teenage girl protagonist whom I loved.

Working on the climax of my UF today.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll look into it!

Congrats on where you are in your UF!

I just got over the half way point of my story.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! It is officially Christmas Day (some fifteen minutes past) here in Sydney. :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Well then Merry Christmas. Its just the morning of Christmas Eve here.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

My eleven-year-old cousin is back in the hospital for the umpteenth time this year and will be for a while, and today I quite hate people, or one in particular.

-is in a very bad mood-

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. :) Happy Christmas Eve!! :D

I didn't get a new iPod or a 3DS today. It was not my day. D:

Hoping I will finish the bare bones playlist for my Cinderella story today, and then I can do my cards for tomorrow and watch DHP2

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Lol.

The new game is the main reason I want a 3DS. Also with Mario and Lego HP (although I can get that for iPod...).

Would I be able to buy old DS games (i.e for old models) and play them on the 3DS? I presume I can, I just want to double check.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'll ask my brother. He has a good understanding of video games.

I can't decide if I want David (Prince Charming) to be Nick's (Cinderella) supermegafoxyawesomehot best friend or a really popular guy (think Blaine...).

ETA: This sentance on TVTropes just made my day:
Kartofsky likes Kurt, who likes Blaine, who likes some random guy at the Gap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.