Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of these days I'm going to get some mailing tubes for my post it storyboards and essay plans...

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. My mum's gone rushing off to the hospital cos apparently my brothers going in for an operation. She's ill as it is, and stressing, and i didn't like her driving off in her worried state. Not good for the blood pressure. I did offer to go with her, but since she said "it's up to you" i decided not to. I hate going to hospitals, and even more so when it involves visiting people because it makes me feel extremely awkward and i get nervous. :/

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
awwwww sorry Kat i hope everything is ok!

I know what you mean, because my mom is going in for an emergency operation Monday. I'm really freaking out about it.... which doesn't help because I have finals starting that day.

GRRRR so you guys want to hear how my day is going? Well i'll tell you anyway. I went to see my disabilities councilor and she thinks i'm doing well except for my issues with my one lab professor (same guy who is continuing to ruin my entire life). She tells me not to worry, that "everything will be fine" then tells me that for my stress, lack of sleep and constant panic attacks, i should see the school councilor. SO i do... after filing out all these crazy forms a guy seems me tells me there is a wait list and asks me what's wrong. I explain everything to him and he replied at the end

"well it seems like you have some severe anxiety some of the worst i've ever seen, and going though a horrible patch in your life... i can say that maybe if you exercise regularly and start yoga, you might feel better"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Yoga and exercise i going o solve all my fucking school problems and the fact my teacher is out to fail me? Ok yeah that makes sense! I knew going there would just be a waist of my damn time!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Well......... that sucks.

I mean, I'm team YOGA!SOLVES!EVERYTHING! but that seriously sucks.

Well, you should find somebody else to see and, in the meantime, try the yoga. I mean, it won't solve all your problems, but it might make you feel a little less stressed, or help you get better sleep, or something. And a little bit is better than nothing, right?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
well you know how to be hypnotized you need to sort of believe in it? Well same way with yoga, i don't enjoy and believe that twisting my body around will solve anything then make me feel stupid. Plus with all this work i have its just a waist of my time in my opinion. There is only three things that are going to help me right now.

1) my teacher vanishes never to be seen again (I'm still keeping my fingers crossed)
2) A teacher (who has power over my grades) tells me to calm down because it will all be ok and i'll graduate.
3) By some amazing streak of luck i get published tomorrow and never have to worry about school again.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
See, I'm against government on an ideological basis - I believe in non-hierarchical organization structures and leaderless organization based off decentralized 'flash mob' style groupings.

But at the very least, I'd prefer a government that puts its money into health care, education and science rather than the military, the military and MORE military.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think his advice is that unreasonable. If you go to a counsellor because of stress, they'll give you advice on how to cope. That usually means positive thinking, regular exercise, trying to eat healthily, frequent breaks, scheduled downtime, etc. Perhaps behavioural therapy or even medication if the stress is severe. A counsellor can't fix your relationship with your teacher - that's not their job. All they can do is help you deal better with stress.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ally, I'm about to PM you about something and you appear on here? Wow. :')

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
A good thing to help with stress - for me at least - is to do everything Para says.

Oh, and video games.

But a HEALTHY amount of video games, not too much.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no i understand that that isnt there job to fix everything, but I was expecting, better ways to handle him (the teacher), ideas on how to manage my time to eliminate stress, someone to tell me i'm not crazy and I'm not the first person this has happened too, Someone to give me a little support and answers as to why i've been having suicidal nightmares with my teacher staring in them.

Instead i was told to breath and do yoga. It just seemed like one of those... Your just going to have to deal with it methods. I've been going through that method for 4 years now and i just thought a councilor would be a little more... personal and caring.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are douchebags in the world. When they have positions of power over you, that's going to suck. You've got a few options.

A) You can just deal to get by and get revenge by succeeding despite them. This option is usually healthy for the status quo, but astoundingly difficult for some people.

B) Do the pure minimum in classwork, but work your but off on homework. I know students who have passed classes without actually showing up to that many of them. Now, this teacher sounds like a twuntnozzle, so that might not work, but it's worth a shot.

C) Fuck 'em. Drop the class and deal with the consequences. They might even be that bad.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
No i'm going with the method:

Show him he cant call me an idiot and make me change my major. Stick with it dispite how he treats me, go to every class, do all the work and bug him for extra help until he caves.

I dont know what it is about this guy but he's really got it out for me. And because his best bud is my academic adviser, i'm having issues with him now too... (they clearly both talk about me to eachother) Its all out war now. My teacher is ignoring every one of my now 3 emailed and one written not I put under his door. So what did i do? 1)Told everyone in the Chemistry department, to tell him i need to talk to him. 2)Documented everything i sent him and when. 3)Gone to everyone i can and told them what is going on. So that when i get that F for lab like i did last year for his damn class, this time I have all the evidence i need to go straight to the dean and show him his lack of teaching.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no i understand that that isnt there job to fix everything, but I was expecting, better ways to handle him (the teacher), ideas on how to manage my time to eliminate stress, someone to tell me i'm not crazy and I'm not the first person this has happened too, Someone to give me a little support and answers as to why i've been having suicidal nightmares with my teacher staring in them.

Instead i was told to breath and do yoga. It just seemed like one of those... Your just going to have to deal with it methods. I've been going through that method for 4 years now and i just thought a councilor would be a little more... personal and caring.

Okay, I hear you.

You're definitely not crazy. This happens a lot. Half of my friends in university got into difficulties of some kind, whether it be depression, insomnia, alcohol issues, missed exams, failing grades, or something else. My friend had to retake a year ... twice. My housemate graduated with such a bad mark I didn't even know it existed. My brother dropped out of university altogether with a pile of debt. (They all survived. Life went on.)

Out of curiosity, what's the worst-case scenario here? Being bumped onto a lower degree? Not graduating?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the only problem is my entire life i've never had a problem with a teacher... ever! I've also never needed to be stubborn, bitchy or have a backbone to deal with a teacher.... I've always had severe "lack of backbone" issues for the last 21 years. Now that i'm growing one and having to hunt this guy down to get the help i deserve and deal with his verbal abuse when i'm getting help, i'm starting to lose my nerve which is causing all this horrible stress.

You get enough people telling you, your stupid and you cant do something, and you start to believe it, especially if they are teachers.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I'm here, no one's talking and when I'm busy, everyone's talking?

I love Weird Al. :tongue

How can your university raise your tuition fees midway through your degree? How does that work? Over here tuition fees are set when you first enrol at university. If you sign up for a three-year degree, you pay the same money every year until you graduate.

My university can raise tuition, and room and board every year if they want to. By the end of my bachelor's I could be paying a thousand or so more a year than I am now.

Yikes. I gather you don't have a tuition fee cap in the US. I knew before I went to university exactly how much debt I would have by the time I graduated three years later - about £20,000.

I wish I could say that. If I'd gotten into my dream school (which was a private university so it's a little different) I would've been looking at about $42,000 a year for tuition alone (about $50k with room and board). But instead I chose a little public university where I only need to pay $9,000 a year for tuition. Right now.

To Am: The guy was just trying to give you some advice to lower your stress level, which yoga has been known to do. Exercising regularly can also lower your stress level because it helps you work off that nervous energy. One thing that I've found that helps, especially at night before you go to sleep, is progressive muscle relaxation.

None of that is going to solve your school problems. He can't solve your school problems. But it will help you manage your stress and anxiety so that you can work through them.

Now...about the teacher problems. Is there an adviser or department head that you can go to? Here we have a guy that everyone goes to if they're having severe problems with a professor (usually it's not just one person having the problem).

Also, I like Zoom's advice.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I hear you.

You're definitely not crazy. This happens a lot. Half of my friends in university got into difficulties of some kind, whether it be depression, insomnia, alcohol issues, missed exams, failing grades, or something else. My friend had to retake a year ... twice. My housemate graduated with such a bad mark I didn't even know it existed. My brother dropped out of university altogether with a pile of debt. (They all survived. Life went on.)

Out of curiosity, what's the worst-case scenario here? Being bumped onto a lower degree? Not graduating?

There are several scenarios here.

1) they give me an Interdisciplinary Science degree. What is that? It a fake degree that says you took a bunch of sciences but not enough to get a real degree. What can you do with it? Nothing. Entry level lab work forever if your lucky. Why do i not want this? Because i've worked WAY too hard to get a bullshit degree I can do nothing with after my mom and grandmom had to spend there whole life savings to keep me in college.

2) My grades fall so low that I'm not only not allowed to graduate but i'm kicked out of my college based on my low GPA. Considering this is my last year... what a slap in the face that would be! Did all that hard work to get kicked out of school because of this one prick. And if i'm kicked out of this university, my only option to get into another school is a community college... then it goes back to i just spent all that money going to this school just to get kicked out and forced into a community college.

See if i dont graduate with a Chemistry degree, there goes all my ideas with what i'm going to do with my life. My dreams of getting into the forensics program at my school have already been killed and buried by my teacher... but if i graduate with a chemistry degree, with alot of hard work on my part i can land a job in a forensic laboratory and work my way up till the company pays for grad school.

If that doesnt happen I'm LOST. Its been 9 years already with no writing results so God knows how long before that all works out for me if it even does... and I'm not going to spend another 4 years in college to get another degree.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping they'll have post its at uni so that I can start my plotting soon, as much as I would prefer to have card instead of paper.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Now...about the teacher problems. Is there an adviser or department head that you can go to? Here we have a guy that everyone goes to if they're having severe problems with a professor (usually it's not just one person having the problem).

Also, I like Zoom's advice.

Yeah the guy i would go to is my academic adviser who is the Chair of the Department... only problem is that same guy is my teachers best friend. See the problem? Yeah I'm not being paranoid but this man is also out to get me because i'm giving his best friend trouble. He is another reason i'm stressed because he sticks up for and defends my teacher to the grave. After he gave me this horrible speech over the summer (after i found out i failed my course) about how i'm clearly not smart enough to handle a chemistry degree he had me so depressed and down with myself my mom went behind my back to go and talk to him on how he talked to me. Now things have just gotten worst from there.

I know everyone has a boss but beyond this guy, and i've tried to talk to the Dean but honestly no one seems to care.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
But at the very least, I'd prefer a government that puts its money into health care, education and science rather than the military, the military and MORE military.

I was legit just saying this in economics today.

By the way, Para, Lisa, could one of you help me understand how British universities work? I've tried the internet and I can't find much. I've heard that the British program has you focused on a more specific area of study from the start, but I don't know much more.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Woah. I missed a bunch and feel like a terrible person for not commenting.

Ally-- do you have any other teachers you get along well with you could talk to this about? I bet most of your teachers have had a dick for a professor at some point, and they all managed to graduate, so they can probably give you some advice.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do Creative Writing and Journalism:

In the first year I have four modules, two from each half, if you like, that I have to do.

The second year is similar, but it's two modules I have to do and two I pick.

If I remember rightly, I'm a CW major so that means I do mostly that next year. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.