Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you do... right now i hate mine. When this semester is over i'm going to sleep for a week straight.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. Hi, Ally. When does your semester end? My incredibly overworked crit partner Dys is finally off school, so yours must finish soon too?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Paraaaaaaaaaaaaa!

My sleep cycle is screwed up and I'm trying to get all the classes I need to graduate next year while my school's administrators lose money like a sive.

Seriously, they've gutted programs left and right and thrown up so many arbitrary restirctions on what you can and cannot take, while also jacking up our fees by 300%...while the administrator's salary has gone up to 400,000 a year.

Motherfucker.

Oh, and did I mention our school has two unfinished building projects and decided to start ANOTHER one? While we can barely afford the salaries for TEACHERS?!

Jesus Christ.

But, there is some good news!

Weird Al has released a new album. This is my favorite song on it: Party in the CIA

My favorite verse

"Better put your hands up
And get in the van
Or or else you'll get blown away
Staging a coup like yeah!
Brainwashing moles like yeah!
We only torture the folks we don't like
You're probably gonna be okay!"

It's so...bitingly accurate and delightfully sung.

The music video is also badass.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I love Weird Al. :tongue

How can your university raise your tuition fees midway through your degree? How does that work? Over here tuition fees are set when you first enrol at university. If you sign up for a three-year degree, you pay the same money every year until you graduate.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
For this school, the fee is based off a semester. You sign up for classes and pay based off what kind of student you qualify as. So, lets say you sign up for 9 units of class. You're a part time student, and pay X. If you sign up for 12+ units, you are a full time student and pay Y.

Well, each year, X and Y has gone up...while the actual UNITS we get to take has gone down. Frankly, the only things that could fix this school would be changing the entire administration and bringing back the fiscal and student practices of the 90s, where we actually had...black people at the school.

Oh yeah, did I mention that our administration has been deliberately focusing the demographic to rich white kids? Used to be, the school had 20-30% African American population. Now, it's what...1%? 2%?

I came from Sunnyvale, which is this awesome suburb with only a 45% child fatality rate due to bizarre neck contusions. Sure, our high school blew up and half the seniors were eaten by a giant...snake thing, but at least we had a moderate amount of diversity.

I miss that...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. I gather you don't have a tuition fee cap in the US. I knew before I went to university exactly how much debt I would have by the time I graduated three years later - about £20,000.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Blah.

Fortunately, I'm out soon and my parents are loaded and have nothing else to spend their money on than charity and creature comforts. I still feel sorry for the freshmen and sophomores that I'm have some classes with.

Now!

Speaking of terrifying things, you know how in Debris Dreams I have repeated references to how scary cybernetic augmentation is? Dru freaks the hell out, and she just gets five fingers replaced?

Well, I've finally gotten to a scene where I get to show off WHY, when the only transhuman character seen so far actually unleashes their combat powers on some baddies.

It'll be fun!

And terrifying.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Of course...the Debris Dreams series has long legs. I got shit planned out to 2202!

(It ends with the ascension of human kind from transbiological to postbiological intelligences!)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. Hi, Ally. When does your semester end? My incredibly overworked crit partner Dys is finally off school, so yours must finish soon too?

I have two weeks left. (but two weeks of pure unnerving hell) But with everything on my plate right now my head is about to explode. I was so frustrated I even started a thread in conquering challenges.

Just finished my 6 page disease paper (took me a total of 3 hours, not my personal fastest but pretty damn close) so that's one thing off my plate.

Dont really see a point of going to bed now at 6:38am if have to get up at 8 am for class.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. I gather you don't have a tuition fee cap in the US. I knew before I went to university exactly how much debt I would have by the time I graduated three years later - about £20,000.

Wow only 20,000... that what in American currancy... just about $31271.85... holy crap this is ALL you owe? That is less then the tuition of my school for one year. My university is currently a little over $40k.

I'm lucky enough to get ALOT of financial aid, one in part of my academic scholarship, and because i'm from a single parent household. The rest my grandmom and mom are painstakingly paying out of there pocket so that I wont be in debt when i graduate.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used post it notes to plot/revise? I have spare A3 paper and post its are generally quite cheap. Yes, I have fancy index cards, but cheap and pretty are good (I need more than one colour for Sticks and Stones). I'm using a similar method for an essay plan, and I really like it.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry dont plot that way. I need everything in one place without the risk of it getting lost. So that means outline on the computer... very loose outline.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
For this school, the fee is based off a semester. You sign up for classes and pay based off what kind of student you qualify as. So, lets say you sign up for 9 units of class. You're a part time student, and pay X. If you sign up for 12+ units, you are a full time student and pay Y.

Well, each year, X and Y has gone up...while the actual UNITS we get to take has gone down. Frankly, the only things that could fix this school would be changing the entire administration and bringing back the fiscal and student practices of the 90s, where we actually had...black people at the school.

Oh yeah, did I mention that our administration has been deliberately focusing the demographic to rich white kids? Used to be, the school had 20-30% African American population. Now, it's what...1%? 2%?

I came from Sunnyvale, which is this awesome suburb with only a 45% child fatality rate due to bizarre neck contusions. Sure, our high school blew up and half the seniors were eaten by a giant...snake thing, but at least we had a moderate amount of diversity.

I miss that...

Question... When you say units, do you mean credits? How are they lowering the amount of credits your aloud to take?

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok off to start my day from hell with no sleep and a shit ton to do!!! YAY!!! Have fun everyone!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Bye Ally.

I'm a tactile/visual plotter. I just need to find a way of easily moving A3 paper around with me. Lol.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Wow only 20,000... that what in American currancy... just about $31271.85... holy crap this is ALL you owe? That is less then the tuition of my school for one year. My university is currently a little over $40k.

I'm lucky enough to get ALOT of financial aid, one in part of my academic scholarship, and because i'm from a single parent household. The rest my grandmom and mom are painstakingly paying out of there pocket so that I wont be in debt when i graduate.

:eek: You're paying $40,000 a year just in tuition fees? That's appalling. I have two degrees from two of the best universities in the UK (arguably in the world) and my total debt is under $50,000. That's tuition fees, rent, travel, living costs, everything. Most of it is a government loan that I don't have to start repaying it until I get a job.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering UCL. I'm probably not going to go, though. I mean, I could switch into the British high school system, but I don't know.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
What course do you want to do?

I want to do post it plotting! But on paper/card., not a board, so I can (somehow) take it everywhere with me (well, maybe uni XD). There is just one problem... I haven't got any post its in pink and blue and no card (which I prefer to paper methinks) and I don't know when I can get a chance to get some. I'm going to a writer's group meet up thing on Saturday.

Post it essay plans FTW. I need to finish mine and find more sources...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
There is a part of me that can't wait for next week or Thursday. I want to get some post its, birthday and Christmas cards, and I need to go into a bookshop for uni.

I might need Mum to help get the card home...

Status
Not open for further replies.