Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic. I always say if you put as much effort into the writing of the novel as you do for outlining, then great. If you put more into outlining than the novel, then why bother outlining?! haha
If you have an idea, just start writing and see where it goes. That's what I do, and that's why I end up with a dozen stories that only have a chapter or 2 because they go nowhere or I get bored. I get bored easily, as I'm sure you've noticed XD

ETA: HI Zoe! :)

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Zoe!

So being a vampire is more of a genetic thing in your story? That's really cool. :)

Lisa, I panic too sometimes!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'll do index card outlines during the editing process. :D

Imma subscribe to the outline thread so I can lurk. :tongue

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Zoe!

So being a vampire is more of a genetic thing in your story? That's really cool. :)

Lisa, I panic too sometimes!

Yeah, although her parents are human. It's like a 'skip generation' kinda thing. The parents knew about their ancestors being vampires but didn't expect it to creep up on them :) haha

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I have this story idea of a post-apocalyptic dystopian world where the remainder of human society lives in doomed cities scattered across the globe and use a lottery as means to forcefully enlist people into their city's army. They use their armies to fight for valuable resources for their doomed city to several. Selected users of the army use mechs (think Gundam) for these battles. These battles might lead to death.

Does this sound too much like Hunger Games?

I mean I am trying to change the plot so it doesn't sound too much like Hunger Games, however I am trying to keep the post-apocalyptic dystopian theme with mechs.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
If there was a way to visually outline, I would do that. Colours and things that stand out help me a lot.

I don't like either of my ideas for Stephan's subplot in Sticks and Stones, but I can't think of anything else.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I have this story idea of a post-apocalyptic dystopian world where the remainder of human society lives in doomed cities scattered across the globe and use a lottery as means to forcefully enlist people into their city's army. They use their armies to fight for valuable resources for their doomed city to several. Selected users of the army use mechs (think Gundam) for these battles. These battles might lead to death.

I mean I am trying to change the plot so it doesn't sound too much like Hunger Games, however I am trying to keep the post-apocalyptic dystopian theme with mechs.

Sounds similar, but the only way to really tell is to try it. You can always change bits and generally if you make it your own then there shouldn't be a problem. The amount of YA books that are very similar is too many to mention, so you should be fine! :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I know. That is why I don't panic anymore.

How's it going?

I'm stuck on my short story, so later I'm going to do a query letter for Sticks and Stones.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

The only similar aspect is the lottery, and I'm not 100% sure that the lottery part makes sense. Why would you pick people at random to join the army? You need people with a very specific set of physical and emotional characteristics. Is it a lottery only of physically able people within a certain age range with good self-discipline who follow orders well and respect authority? You also run a major risk of your conscripts refusing to fight, sabotaging their unit or just plain deserting. They'd basically need to be guarded 24/7. And if you've gone to such lengths, why select just a few conscripts? Why not take them all?

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My query for Sticks and Stones:

Sixteen year old Isaac has always bullied Stephan – the girly homo in his class since Year Seven – but no one has ever know that he is secretly jealous of the fact that Stephan managed to come out of the closest so quickly. He’s wished for a long time he could do the same, and he would try – if it wasn’t for his homophobic father and the fear of being isolated by everyone.

When he is partnered with Stephan for a school assignment, he isn’t happy, but things become much worse when he realises that he has to spend a lot more time with Stephan than he’d like. Forced to be polite to him for the sake of getting a good grade, Isaac is surprised when he starts to realise that Stephan isn’t as bad as he once thought. Surprise turns into shock when he kisses him – and enjoys it. After all, the only person he should enjoy kissing is his girlfriend, Jenny.

As confusion sets in, Isaac starts to realise that he may be falling in love with the one person that could make him an outcast. And that isn’t the only thing standing in the one thing he wants – true, honest-to-God love. The long-standing hatred between him and Stephan is too. And he’s going to have to change if he wants it. Otherwise, life will be even more difficult than it was before.

STICKS AND STONES is a 60K multiple POV YA LGBT Romance .

What do you guys think? Is it too early to put it up in QLH?

Last edited:

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score

I think as long as you set the stories apart early, I think it should be fine. For example, as soon as I read the description of Divergent, I thought..."So that's The Hunger Games?" But, apparently, it's completely different. When I read it as a book, it shouldn't start with the MC in a forest shooting game. Perhaps, your opening message shouldn't be about food at all.

I feel that as long as your first half says HUNGER GAMES WHO I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THAT BOOK it'll be fine :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm listening to "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" over and over while I've been continuing my short story and now I'm in a ridiculously good mood. :D

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Your query is pretty straight forward, Lisa, and it works to convey what the story is about. Why would it be too late to put it in QLH?

Akasha - it sounds pretty good! As long as you emphasise how it's different, that's all that really matters. :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
It's only a WIP I'm working on. I'll put it in QLH tomorrow, methinks.

ETA: I'm going to bed now. 'Night, guys. :)

Last edited:

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Talking of being in love, I've been reading Clockwork Prince and I'm falling for Will! I just fall for any character who has charm! *sigh* its terrible of me but there you have it. And I should be asleep right now but heck, I can't stop smiling. That books got me giddy! Lol

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
HR, your boyfriend sounds like a sweetheart. :)
Clockwork Prince! Haven't read it yet, but I love Cassandra Clare's covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.