Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Night, Elu!

I am talking about Cartoon Network's Sailor Moon, lol! I don't think my youth six-year-old heart could have taken the actual content of show without being traumatized or really confused in someway. Though I did know that there was a May-December kind of thing going on between Serena and Darien!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhhh, Serena and Darien.

In real life: middle school girl + college guy = CALL THE POLICE

In anime: middle school girl + college guy = yeah guys, soulmates, it's cool.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Gotta love anime! :) It can defy morals and still make you want to watch it!

Wow, it's already past midnight there. I think I am going to crash into bed for a good shuteye. Thanks for the chat, Ari! :) Night!

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
And now, what I wrote here shall be deleted because I'm going to sleep and I don't want info about my extended family online for that long.

Last edited:

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh, off to Sociology to sit next to some utter bitches who ignore me or snipe at me the whole time.

I love my life.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, Sociology. I did that as one of my GCSEs.

Later, I want to find a Kurtofsky avvie and Kurtofsky desktop wallpaper. I am hoping they will help with "Sticks and Stones."

Also, it would help if I knew how long this coursework needed to be. ><

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I have a dieselpunk story idea where my main female character is a black teenaged wrench wench with the supernatural abilities of metal manipulation and mechanical intuition. Her father was a well-known military weapons designer and her mother was a scientist. Her mother, along with a group of scientists, discovered a new element that could be the key ingredient to creating a mass weapon of destruction to put an end to an ongoing world war. This leads to a international race to creating this weapon, which she becomes an unwilling key player and one of the most wanted targets in trying to create it.

The only problem is that my character is black during the 1940s, which is a rather critical time in African American history because of racism, discrimination, and segregation. I can do one of two things: completely erase that aspect of history from my story or deal with the issues in some kind of way. I posted a thread on it and I got some very diverse answers. Some people say that because it's an alternate reality, that it's okay to do away with the history of slavery and racism. Others say that I shouldn't ignore the discrimination and racism of that era, I should work with it.

I mean I am black and my great-grandfather and my grandparents told me how difficult that time period was for a black man yet alone a black woman. Yet alone a young black woman. I am just at a loss because I feel like I have dug myself in a hole. Someone I know told me that I should just change my character's race to white because it seems more fitting and appropriate for that time period.

I am just at a frustrating loss. :<

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of a black girl in the 40s. I'm mixed race, and although most of my characters are white, I am thinking I should include more mixed race characters and there should be more mixed race characters anyway. Not that I think it should matter what colour your characters are unless it's important to the plot. *shrugs*

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I mean originally, her race wasn't important. However, tossing a black character into an alternate 1940s America and ignoring the crap black people went through during those times seems like a cop-out almost, but do I really want to bring up racism just for the mere fact that my character is black?

I have read many steampunk and dieselpunk stories with lead white characters and they don't even brush upon the subjects of racism and discrimination because there doesn't seem like there should be a need too.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess not. I just don't want 'oh, she's a black character just for the sake of being a black character.' Frustration overload!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me (hi!) like her role in what's going on is going to be far more important than the color of her skin.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me vent, Lisa. :) And hi, Ari! Well, her role is going to be very important and it won't have anything to do with her race, but my question is would it be more appropriate if it her race was important during that period of time. -sigh- I need some ginger ale, LOL.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ari! Do you still want the opening of Sticks and Stones?

Missus: That's okay. :)

I'm going to go have some more cereal.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I can look at it.

Well here's my question for you: if you're in an alternate universe/history anyway, why does it even matter that it's taking place in the 1940s? (I've seen this question raised in a similar situation to yours, and it seems fitting.)

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I had never even considered that. No, it doesn't have to be in the 1940s. Now that I think about it, the story could take place in 2011 or 2050. The development of technology could have halted for several decades. Racism and discrimination could have already been dealt and all of the good stuff that I adore about dieselpunk can remain. You are awesome, Ari! Do you know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.