Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Think my reaction would be dependent on whether you need to read both series to understand. If it's a fun bonus for people who have read both, great. If you can't understand the second series without having read the first, that narrows the audience.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
What Para said!

That's 95% of my interjections into this thread, I'm so sorry. Para, stop being right all the time.

(Or, I could start having original thoughts...pff, too much work)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have decided on an essay question. I am going to catch up on my reading (the question's reading is for next week). Bye bye!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
No its just a fun thing, you dont need to know both of them.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
so am i. Got off from work and now i'm going to sit down and seriously write

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got finished talking to a close friend of mine. I told them about my new story idea, Nocturnal Poppies (better title to come), and they said it was way too similar to the concept of Falling Under by Gwen Hayes and a mixture of Twilight (eye twitches).

I've read Falling Under and I suppose I can see the similarities because both stories focus on the power and nature of dreams and sleep. Then she said it was too similar to Twilight for various reasons. Can I get an honest second opinion on my story idea? I don't want to churn out a Falling Under or a Twilight copy.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what is it about?

Yay, the second scene of Chapter Two has just hit 1K! Now to see how close to 2K I can get it!

ETA: Yay, just went past the 8K mark! :D

Last edited:

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Well I don't have an official summary yet, but here goes:
Cassandra "Cassie" Hornbeck is a 17-year-old girl with the unfortunate ability of having precognitive dreams. Some of her prophetic dreams are symbolic and cryptic while others are actual moments set in the future. When her visions are brought to reality, an overwhelming sense of deja vu washes over her.

She doesn't want to believe her dreams are true, but two instances have forced her to believe otherwise. These instances being the death of her father when she was thirteen and the news of her older brother's death a day after her seventeenth birthday. Both her father and brother were in the Army and died in combat. Her dreams predicted that she would attend both of their funerals.

With her mother as her only immediate family left, they move to back their hometown, Silverton, OR for a fresh start and to help her grandparents with their funeral home business. When summer ends and school starts, everything changes when Cassie accidentally touches Sebastian, one of her classmates and a Greek transplant. She has a vision right then and there and it isn't a good one either.

Though the funeral home business for her grandparents seems to be booming as various people around town are popping up dead. Fright is what killed them. Though the real question is, who were the frightened of?

So what do you think?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, sounds cool. I don't understand why it would be considered a copy of Twilight.

How much have you written of it so far?

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't even written it yet. I am detailing the heck out of it right now because I am still kind of stumped on the direction of the plot.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised your friend thought that description sounded familiar - it could describe a lot of YA paranormals. Take Kristi C0ok's HAV3N: a teenage girl has a vision of her father's death, which comes true; in the wake of bereavement, she moves to a new town and starts at a new school; in school she meets a hot guy; she starts having visions about him too. Same story, different names.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised your friend thought that description sounded familiar - it could describe a lot of YA paranormals. Take Kristi C0ok's HAV3N: a teenage girl has a vision of her father's death, which comes true; in the wake of bereavement, she moves to a new town and starts at a new school; in school she meets a hot guy; she starts having visions about him too. Same story, different names.

Aw. I have never even heard of that story either. Well Project Nocturnal Poppies is officially done. No need to write the same story, different names.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Aw. I have never even heard of that story either. Well Project Nocturnal Poppies is officially done. No need to write the same story, different names.

Okay, if that's what you want, but practically any plot can be made exciting if executed well enough. I beta read an absolutely brilliant take on that plot last year. I reread it sometimes for pure enjoyment.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
You could always add something that "uniquifies" it. I've had quite a few WIP's where all the story needed was an (or a few) element change. Then again, many of my stories are mainly character driven, so as long as I have my main and LI, the plot can be whatever

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if that's what you want, but practically any plot can be made exciting if executed well enough. I beta read an absolutely brilliant take on that plot last year. I reread it sometimes for pure enjoyment.

That's true. You never know. :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

There are three ways to be creative.

You can be creative with structure - for example, telling ye olde plot in a new and exciting way.

You can be creative with content - for example, telling the old plot with different or unusual characters, in a different and unusual place.

Or you can be creative with prose, which tends to be the "arthouse" way of exploring standard plots.

Actually being creative with PLOTS is...remarkably hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.