Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm horrible i use those sites all the time!

I just have too busy of a life to watch them when they are on. And i'm way to broke to buy the seasons let alone wait for them to come out.

GRRRRRRRRR I'm really really pissed off about my new book. Not at the book but at peoples responces about it... its making me doubt my series

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I've just got the free trial for Windows. I'm going to try combining it with paper index cards for outlining. I love how I can write out of order more easily than in Word.

How do you use Storyist? Is there a Windows alternative?

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm horrible i use those sites all the time!

I just have too busy of a life to watch them when they are on. And i'm way to broke to buy the seasons let alone wait for them to come out.

GRRRRRRRRR I'm really really pissed off about my new book. Not at the book but at peoples responces about it... its making me doubt my series

Are you published?

Lisa: I don't think there is a Windows alternative for Storyist. Right now I have been developing my character's profiles. I really like the character template they have on Storyist though I haven't figured out a way to edit the fields already built in yet. You can plug pictures of your characters in and there is a side window where you can drag and drop pictures. You can also live sticky notes in the window or tag them to the pictures.

This function works for settings too, which is an individual feature as well. I haven't gotten to the actual writing part yet, but I really like Storyist so far.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I wish, but no i'm not published yet, i should be after the 9 years i've been writing my series, but no alas i'm not because of a number of reasons steming from my learning disability.

I think my problem is everyone I've talked too is REALLY interested in this new NaNo project i'm working on, but no one has ever shown that much intrest in my series, which is like my life long work i would die for.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I wish, but no i'm not published yet, i should be after the 9 years i've been writing my series, but no alas i'm not because of a number of reasons steming from my learning disability.

I think my problem is everyone I've talked too is REALLY interested in this new NaNo project i'm working on, but no one has ever shown that much intrest in my series, which is like my life long work i would die for.

Oh, that has happened to me too! Currently, I am writing a Greek mythology inspired story. I told a few friends about it and everyone is like, "OMG, that might actually be a seller!" Though I appreciate the encouragement and the praise for this story idea, I had never seen so much enthusiasm for my previous stories that I worked on that I slaved over.

It leaves you a kind of angry and maybe even a little hurt because it's like, "Have you ever had any faith in me up to this point?" Don't give up though regardless!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Mixed. Got a perfect score on my poetry paper, but then I decided to look at Breathtaken and regretted it. Working on blog stuff now to improve my mood.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Arianna, the titles in your signature are very intriguing! Call me curious, but if you are willing to tell, what is Shelf Space about?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Well, maybe it's easier to understand your NaNo 'cause it's stand-alone? And people are lazy?

hey, speaking of which, have you started querying/looking into agents? 'cause I'd be totally willing to help.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to give up, after all i'm already 8 and a half books into my series. A little late to turn back now.

It just really hurts. I'm confident in my own writing (i cant spell or use grammar but i feel i can write well). I always thought my series was the most awesome idea and over the last few years i'm starting to sense everyone else i talk to thinks its stupid.

This feeling only strengthened when the same group of friends who knew about my series were told about my new book. They instantly started with a shit ton of praise, instead of the "Oh that's cool" that i ususally get from them.

It only got worst when i told my boyfriend all about this new idea. He's the only person who has ever read my series. But he stopped at book 6 and even after i finished 7 and 8 hasnt read them because and i quote "I'm not in the reading mood" (this has started a shit ton of arguments but whatever) Point is i told him about this book and he responds with "Oh wow i really cant wait for you to finish it so i can read it."

WHAT!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

Its just really really killing me that people seem to have no interest in my series.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, I do have a question though. What do you like about Scrivener?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I spend a few minutes on a crappy query-ish thing for all of my novels just in case people ask:

Other than his 4.3 GPA and the day he received his acceptance letter from Brown University, Galen Wells would be perfectly happy to wipe four years of high school from his mind. People are bound to talk about you when your boyfriend is sent to jail for cocaine possession and vehicular manslaughter, but when you're the valedictorian? That just makes it easier for your classmates to remember you as the one who testified against your boyfriend.

He may be set for a summer of boredom, but his best friend isn't willing to let him get away with not doing anything. She drags him to the mall, insisting he has to meet the employees at the Best Store Ever—some place called Grady's. Not expecting much, Galen is more than a little confused when he finds himself drawn to River, an enigmatic boy who thinks it's funny to leave notes on random merchandise during his breaks.

Despite his intentions of making a clean cut from everything that has to do with home, the valedictorian can't help but keep going back for more. And just when he thinks that maybe it's okay to let himself fall in love again, he gets a phone call from his incarcerated ex that might change everything.

Also you can just call me Ari :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Well, maybe it's easier to understand your NaNo 'cause it's stand-alone? And people are lazy?

hey, speaking of which, have you started querying/looking into agents? 'cause I'd be totally willing to help.

Was this directed towards me?

And also... well lately i'm not sure its a stand-alone. I have a horrible addiction to series.... and i've already come up with the plot for what would be a sequal but... I'll hold off till i finish my other two series or someone shows intrest in a second one.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
A) How easy it is to write out of order
B) The outliner view

If I could do something like this with Word or a free programme, I would!

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Its just really really killing me that people seem to have no interest in my series.

What exactly is this new story about?

Ari: LOOOOOVE that story idea! The yaoi lover inside of me had a heart attack from excitement.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I write out of order in Word or Storymill. Not often, though. I don't find it as fun or easy.

Ally- yeah, that was at you. I started typing it before a bunch of other people posted.

ETA: If you like yaoi, just read Ari's work. She's awesome at it. I ship all her couples so hard.

Last edited:

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
A) How easy it is to write out of order
B) The outliner view

If I could do something like this with Word or a free programme, I would!

I have been looking for a program that can keep everything I have for a story in one place. I have been using Word for years, making trillions of bullet points about story details. It gets confusing after a while when you are trying to search for something out of 27 pages of bullet points!

Pictures, character information, writing, organizing, a place for putting research information. Is there a perfect program out there for me like that, LOL!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
How do you manage to write out of order in Word, Tally? I like to write out of order if I'm stuck on a scene, but I know what's going to happen in another one. *goes to check out StoryMill*

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Evelyn wakes up on a sandy shore with no idea who she is, where she came from, or where she is. Taken in by adoptive “parents” who tell her she has amnesia is rough enough, but when she realizes there is something wrong with the town and its people her newly found ideas and curious personality begin to put her in danger. Why do people wash up on the shore daily? Where do they come from? Why does everyone in the town have amnesia? What is beyond the forest that surrounds them? Why are they are living in the dark ages when she remembers concepts of more modern technology?

Sensing the danger she is getting into by asking these questions she decides to run away but she cant go alone, so she asks Matty a boy who only woke up on the shores of the town a week before her. Together the two run away into the mysterious woods to find out who they are, where they came from and how to get there memories back.

Little did either of them know what was beyond the confines of their little town were even stranger and more dangerous things lurking. Shadow wolves, gorgons, endless labyrinths, dragons, and evil demons are only the first of the terrifying obstacles that stand in there way of finding out how to get back home. But as their memories come back to them slowly are they even sure they are the people they think they are, and are their former lives even worst then this new and strange land?

What hooks everyone in is the suprise twist ending that i've been giving away because i dont care that much that people know. I'll tell you that one too if you want

Hummm maybe if i gave away the twists in my first book people would actually be intersted.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ari: LOOOOOVE that story idea! The yaoi lover inside of me had a heart attack from excitement.
Woo! I only ever read queer stuff.

ETA: If you like yaoi, just read Ari's work. She's awesome at it. I ship all her couples so hard.
:Sun:

ETA: Lisa, if I want to write something out of order in Word I usually just start a new document and title it according to the scene.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
StoryMill looks good. *likes the timeline feature* If only it wasn't just for Mac, I could download a free trial.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I bought Storymill, tho. Well, it was a birthday present. It's not as pretty as Scrivener.

I make a folder for each story, and just type scenes and chapters on different word documents. and plots and everything.

Ally, I still really liked that last query for FREAKS you came up with. I don't know why people aren't interested. I mean, "the entire human race falls into a coma except a handful of preteens who have to protect the planet from a species of monsters straight out of a horror movie" is a pretty good hook, IMO.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
amlptj: Wow, that is a really awesome summary of the story!

Ari: Psst, you've found a fan in me. There needs to be more diversity out on the shelves. There are too many cookie-cutter stories going on. For my new story, my main character is black. I want some rainbows, yaoi stories, multicultural stories.

I want it all, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.