Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing... and wondering if Scrivener is worth it after the trail finishes.

Does anyone write out of order?

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa - I write out of order sometimes. Many people do.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
How easy is it to do on Word? Unless you use something different.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I couldn't do that. *thinks* I could just do index cards and then copy the info on that into the "synopsis" bit in the outline view as I write. Or does that seem like too much?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I have discovered something strange and somewhat controversial about my writing.

I have an easier time writing LGBTQ characters and sexuality-undefined and pansexual and basically anything other than "straight" characters.

It's not that I can't write "straight" relationships. It doesn't have anything to do with the relationships.

I'm just gonna make them all pansexual and call it a day.

ETA: Lisa, remember, don't think about it too hard! If you're struggling with a scene, that probably means it isn't fun to write. And if it isn't fun to write, it probably won't be fun to read. So just write the fun stuff.

(I consider death scenes fun, by the way. See MAAH)

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OK. I'm a little stuck on this scene, length wise, so I'm going to write as much as I can and move onto another scene. God, that is what I love about Scrivener -- I already have a Chapter Three folder. And the progress bars are wonderful.

I'll worry about outlines and software after this trial runs out and/or I finish the first draft of this (If it's not finished by the 31st, I'm going to aim for 30K or whatever the nearest 10K is).

Also what is pansexuality? #stupidmoment

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
You can Google it, Lisa lol

From Wiki:

Pansexual people are people attracted to people without considering their gender. The word pansexual comes from the Greek word 'pan-', meaning "all". Pansexual people are part of the LGBT community.
Pansexuality is different from bisexuality. Bisexual people are attracted to both men and women, but pansexual people are attracted to any people. This includes people who are neither male nor female. Pansexuality is the opposite asexuality, as pansexuality means a person may be sexually attracted to anyone, but asexuality means a person is sexually attracted to no one.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue with Wiki on that. It's not really the opposite of asexuality. The true opposite would be sexual attraction to everyone. That is not pansexuality.

Asexuality is when you have no 'sex drive'

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stuck on the scene I was on, so now I'm writing the first scene of Chapter Three.

I wish I could write in Word and with no outline, but a) I think writing future scenes could help me, outline or no outline, and Word is a pain in the ass when it comes to that, and b) The first thing I ever wrote was mega short and awful. There was no outline. Cue insecurity.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I abandoned it after one round of edits. I want to rewrite one day though.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
First three books i wrote were without true outlines. First one was horrible after i finished the first time but its my baby and i rewrote it like 5-6 times and now (in my opinion and some betas) is awesome!

If you stick with it, its bound to get better. And alot of people say that a story idea can just be bad but i say if you work on it enough any story idea has the potential to be awesome

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
"True" outline?

ETA: I think I'm slightly obsessed with writing about Darren. :O

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
If i got stuck back then i might "plan" a scene that would help me out of my little rut, but i didnt really have an outline beyond that.

That's why my first book was just my MC's running around then suddenly saving the world.

The second book was much better, even without an outline, i had a more solid concept of where the book was going

Third book got even better

Then the forth book came along and it was too complicated for me to not start slight outlines, simply so i could remember all the awesome ideas i wanted to put in the book. By the time i finished by 4th book i relized i needed to fix alot in my first book because i came up with a better understanding of the Freaks and there abilities, that kind of understanding and knowledge i had no idea about when i first started writing the series.

That's when i went back and outlined the entire first book based on scientific experimental procedure and went to work writing from there. The book is still them running around aimlessly but now there are aspects the tie in WHY they had to do that and what the meaning behind it all was.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh.

I am concerned this is going to turn into a "romance" fanfiction. I love writing about Darren. :O

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
This one i'm writing now deals pretty heavily around romance and friendship.

I was really excited! Over the weekend i met this guy who went camping with us, and i ended up telling him the whole story idea and he said and i quote.

"Holy shit that is a brilliant story idea! I dont even read but I'd totally read that book!"

Then he went on to call his girlfriend and tell her all about the idea and she loved it too!!!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah i'm so excited!!!

Although he didnt seem too interested in my series until i told him my characters kind of killed bad guys like Dexter. He also hated horror stuff so I felt he wouldnt be interested anyway

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's a friendship book. He is going to sort of become her mentor/guide. But she develops a crush on him. Make sense? That's why I put romance in quotes.

See, I do plot, even if I don't do an epic outline!! I just need a way of putting all my ideas down in an organized way.

ETA: Dinner time.

Last edited:

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Ally!

Wrote 1.3K so far today since I started writing almost 2 hours ago. I need to quicken up my pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.