Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I want to hear more about this baby. :D

I can't remember the first thing, but I know I used to write adventure stories in notebooks, including one featuring mice. :')

I wrote one like that too! My mouse character went into some painting and was transported to a magical world. He stowed away on some alien ship and killed all the aliens.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
What I really hate is bad grammar. I'm not saying I'm perfect at it or anything, but there are a lot of cases where people don't even use the basics properly because they can't be bothered. OMG, AGH.

YES. I'm saving the best writer's essay for last so that I have something to look forward to.

This writer keeps switching to second-person.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, sometimes I get my present and past tenses confused. But I don't believe I've ever got 'your' and 'you' or even 'you're' mixed up. That's one thing that was definitely drilled home to me when I was in school. Or maybe from even general day to day practice.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, sometimes I get my present and past tenses confused. But I don't believe I've ever got 'your' and 'you' or even 'you're' mixed up. That's one thing that was definitely drilled home to me when I was in school. Or maybe from even general day to day practice.

I switch back and forth between past and present all the time but I do know the difference and I go back and fix it. But I rarely ever switch for more than a few lines before I catch myself doing it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I caught myself (or rather Dys caught me) lapsing into second during my dissertation. Oops. :tongue It's actually pretty easy to do if you're not paying attention - this sentence, for example.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I never do it. I hate writing in second person. I find it very odd. :/

OK, I'm not doing a writing session tonight, but I will tomorrow. Also, am I weird for not understanding WoD?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I write in second person sometimes, but usually on purpose.

I know WoD isn't for everyone, but...what's not to understand about it? It's simple.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly it annoys me because I tend to stop a session in the middle of a scene and the idea of writing the rest away from the bit written annoys me.

What I don't understand is the time thing. It doesn't tell you when your time's up. :/

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
What? Yes it does. And you can keep going right there even if you hit your word goal or time goal...I do that all the time.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I could try it next time I start one of my 'serious' sessions at the start of a scene. See how it goes.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Write or Die. A lot of people swear by it.

I swear by background noise. Usually music. :D

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right. Um... so is it a simple "you write or you die" thing.. lol or is it a website or something similar?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
There's a website with a free version and there's also a full program for $10 (which I bought and it was so worth it). Basically if you stop writing for too long, it produces horrible, horrible sounds to torture you and make you keep working.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
There's different modes.

Do you use the offline version all the time, Ari?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
You can choose your sound, and add your own. Like if I wanted to be motivated by my hatred of Justin Bieber, I could add "Baby" to the system. You can change your font and your color, you can set your own specific time (the website only gives certain options, whereas the program lets you say whatever you want). You can also do stuff like "Always in front" so you have to have it in front of you, "Fullscreen", "Disable Save til goals met" and "Disable backspace".

Status
Not open for further replies.