Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I need more details before I can give advice. Is this for the story you think is too unoriginal? What is the story about? Is the elemental magic your existing magic system or one you're considering retrofitting onto the story? What are you aiming for here - is there a particular author you'd like to write like, or a particular mood you'd like to capture?

Details. :tongue

The magic system has sort of been translated from the old unoriginal story that I've trunked for now, but it's been expanded and outlined. The storyline has been recreated, as well as the world. Only a few of the original aspects remain.

The elemental magic system is just one facet of the magic in the world as well, since the story revolves around a couple of different groups who also use different sources of magic. Elementals (or w/e) use "natural" magic, while the others use either arcane or demon magic. Those who use the elemental or "natural" magic are typically the common people, while those who study the arcane magics are people selected for a specialized job higher up in society.

There's a bit of a social struggle between these people.

Demon magic is evil and is sort of behind the scenes.

I'm not attempting to write like any particular author, and I haven't really decided much on a mood, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds cool. I don't really care much about worlds, though, or even plots. I just care about characters.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a plot person mostly characters come second to the plot.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hum... lets see how many i still have planned?

I really dont know... i'm going to say hundreds if you include all the Virginia creatures and all the villains from for the FRP that are going to be killed in the 13 and 14th books. Then the whole freaking second generation and all those bad guys.... sadly i have at least 10 more books planned out...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I think the reason i think plots are more important, is because i put more effort into my plots then i do for my characters, those suckers are easy for me.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that plot is the most important, but I normally get character ideas before story ideas. Then I have to figure out what the characters' story is.

Also, Tally- your icon is awesome. :) I love her cover of Valerie.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
i always use the same characters for the most part, that's why i usually get the plots that come to me first.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I probably get a new character idea at least once a day. And if the character stays with me for a few weeks, I'll write down stuff about them and save it. Right now I have 6 characters in my head and 2 stories. I have yet to write them down- but one of them I got the idea for 3 years ago, and the other one I got the idea for at the beginning of this year.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I've had two SNIs in the last month, but neither of them have had a big enough spark for me to really work on them. I keep hoping a great idea will fall out of the sky so I can start writing again.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I got the best two SNI in my life last month. Well actually it was one SNI that developed into me splitting the story into my last two books in my series, that will bring the whole series to an awesome epic full circle ending!

Besides books 9-14 of this series I have 4 books planned and floating around in my head for the Second Gen series.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I've had 3 SNIs in the last couple months, and this last one is less of an SNI and more of an IIHFMYAKTTGR (Idea I've Had For Many Years And Keep Trying To Get Right). This is the one that I'm intensively spreadsheet-plotting right now, but... I don't know. Some elements of it are not gelling.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
see every time i drive somewhere i let my mind wonder about SNI's Some of my best plotting comes from some long drives of mine.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I devote most of my intense plotting time to my WIP since it hasn't been fully planned out ever. Sadly. Lol.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
I may not! How do I incorporate awesomely ridiculous genetic alterations by a mad scientist into a serious political thriller? These two elements are NOT MESHING THE WAY I WISH THEM TO.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like my icon needs to be something Glee-related. Both Lisa and Tally have Glee characters. :D

*goes back to procrastinating*

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Glee: Like poison ivy, in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.