Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Karla. How's the writing going?

Okay, removing the colours, but need a way to make the cells stand out...

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Hola peeps. I'm home. Eating cheese & onion crisps and listening to my ipod in the dock. Was only at the library an hour and a half. I was contemplating going back after lunch but I couldn't be bothered - because I got caught watching "Death At A Funeral" and it was funny... but unfortunately half way through it got irritating so here I am! :p

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to find out a way to make cells stand out in Excel.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get birthdays done, and then I'm starting a timeline. :)

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I just went around in circles in this scene. haha
What do you think?

The sun was completely up now and I could clearly see – well, as much as my head injury would allow – the after effects of the explosion.
Now it was my turn to shriek. “Oh my God!” It was like a scene from a horror movie. Dead bodies... everywhere.
I held my left arm as I felt a sharp pain shoot in my elbow and then glanced around the area. The only other people standing – or should I say person – was the old lady who had come to me before it all happened.

I shivered. Nothing much to do with the weather, because unlike the days prior to this day, it was warm. At – I checked my phone again and saw two missed calls – five thirty am, the day was looking strong. Shame I wasn't.
I groaned when I saw who had tried to call me. Mom. Darren laid a hand on my arm.

“What is it?”
“Mom tried to call me about ten minutes ago. She must have heard the explosion.”
He rolled his eyes, “I kinda think the whole town heard that explosion. My ears are still ringing. Not to mention this pain in my side -” he lifted up his tshirt to reveal the side of stomach. I felt my intestines do a somersault.

“Darren, that's not normal.” He laughed. “Are you in shock or something?” I tested his forehead.
“Oh, it's nothing. Apparently hernias are normal in times of strenuous activity.”
I frowned. “Really?” Shaking my head, I tried to forget the horrible scene in front of me, and turned to head back to the house.
“Where are you going?” he asked, not moving.

“To get cleaned up.”
“But shouldn't we call the ambulance or something? There's dead people everywhere.”
“You wanna shout that a little louder?” I called back.

He ran his hand through his hair, which was now practically standing on end from him doing that, and with a sigh, followed me.
I rang my mom back, which she answered on the second ring. Wow, she must have been holding it.

“What's up mom?”
She sighed something like relief. “Oh my baby, I was so worried.”
“I'm fine.”
“But we heard this huge bang from outside and wondered what-”
“Mom, I'm fine. Stop worrying.”
A pause. “What happened?” Her voice went so quiet, so timid.

“Just – Nothing you should worry about. I'm fine. Darren's fine. We're all fine.” I started biting my nail as I looked out the window at the glaring sun reflecting off the ruins.
“Okay baby, but please, we miss you. Come home soon.”
I became alert. “Who's we?”
“Did I say we? I mean't, well, you know what I meant.”
“Whatever,” I sighed and with irritation, rolled my eyes. “I gotta go. I'll tell you when the world's ending. Bye.” I put my cell back in my pocket.

Darren coughed.
“You really shouldn't have said that,” he said with an undertone of mocking.
“Oh shush, you. It'll do her good to fret for once.” I grinned for a moment then frowned, nodding to his stomach. “How's the horn- whatever it was you got?”
He laughed. “Hernia. And it'll be fine as long as I go to the hospital.”
“If I had a car, I'd take you now.”
He winced, holding his side. “No worries.”
I rushed to his side.
“Ahh crap. Okay, I'll ask my mom.” He shook his head frantically.
“No, don't. She knows my parents number and she'll ring them. I don't want them finding out I'm running up their hospital bills.”

Doesn't sound plausible, does it? lol

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
morning everyone! I just got pretty good news. My advisor is an asshole idiot and told me to do shit i didnt need too... i'm more in track for graduation then i thought!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ally and Zoe.

Excel decided to fuck itself up. :( I had to fix loads of stuff. I give up on the prettying up stuff. Now to figure out a transformation block. Also, a bunch of chapters have nothing in the 'Matthew/Carla' blocks for them...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah i totally cant plot that way! heehehe, I just get a notebook and write down what will happen every day (or hour in this book) I'm lucky i dont have to worry about motivations, blocks, external conflicts or stuff like that... all that stuff for mine are pretty straight forward.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Shoulda gone back to the library >_< My neck's already hurting. bah!

Hmm.... So now I gotta do a hospital scene and... maybe Mr Mystery Man will appear.. .

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
HAHA not yet. SHH don't push me. I make these things up as I go along >_<

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ahahaa okay.

I was just thinking...

a) the romance is a subplot

b) there are three books to spread it over

c) Matthew's feelings only really emerage towards the end

SO... I don't need to worry too much about filling the 'Matthew/Carla' boxes at this stage. I can fill them in as I'm writing.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the more you think about how a character is going to be throughout, the harder it is to actually write it. It's like... over thinking. Not always a good thing.
Just turn the stereo up full blast, kick yo socks off, and tap-tap-tap the laptop til it all pours outta ya! hahaha

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Just write what comes naturally to you. I think some people put WAY to much thought into things like that, and it unnecessary sometimes. Follow the basic logic of peoples emotions and feelings and you dont need to overthink such things.

I just stick to my plot and all those transformations and motivations and such fall into place on there own.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I do it 'in real life' - so I have an idea of how the story's going to go and when, and the 'basics' of the characters' feelings, but no idea what scenes are going to be in each chapter. Kind of like JK Rowling.

And my spreadsheet will change as I get new ideas. This is why I love computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.