Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
It goes well. I have a grand total of 6 scenes left in Weeping, one of which should be written today, another tomorrow, 2 on Tuesday and the last two on Wednesday. Thus completed novel. Then I get to start working on Lifelike.

Yours?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Remind me of the plot of Lifelike please.

I got stuck, so I started an outline. Now I'm doing an experiment, where I'm rewriting Chapter One in third person and sending both versions out to people to decide what to do next. I'm not doing very well at the moment as I'm getting distracted by TV and - worse, I think, as I can just have TV in the background if it's something I've before with no breaks - this really cute game on FB called MapleStory Adventures. If I decide to rewrite the rest and continue in third person, it will be version 5!!!

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Lifelike is about a male harpy (because I said so) by the name of Zephyr who discovers this island floating in the sky. He doesn't really plan to go there, but one day two little mechanical fairies by the names Sugar and Plum steal his flute, so he has to go after them. He meets this clockwork boy (all of them are actually just called Clockworks, including Sugar & Plum) by the name of Aeries. At first he's planning to stay away from the island because it unnerves him and his best friend (a pixie by the name of Cyres) but Sugar & Plum cause him to keep going back. One day he ends up trapped there because Corinthe, the owner of the island, dropped kind of a giant bird cage of the entire thing. It's sort of Nutcracker meets Beauty & the Beast meets my very messed up brain.

Oh god, version 5!? That does show devotion though. I applaud you. I couldn't do it.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
WIN PLOT.

If I do version 5. All the other versions will have been unfinished. I'm wondering if this is a sign...

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Ally, your summary from the page before-- just remember that you can't query in first person, yeah?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
TALLYYYY!!!! *huggles*

ETA: Mum and the neighbour (who is planning an extension) have just gone into my room. I do not like this.

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :D

Well, is this novel still the one you want to write? That's the real question, in my opinion.

Tally, I should be able to send Weeping to you on Thursday if all goes according to plan.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I love the characters. I love the plot. Writing it makes me happy. I'm just frustrated because of the amount of times I've started it again and again.

ETA: Also, Tally, can you explain how the 3 Act Structure would work in romance? I'm sure the original act of this beginning ended wrong (them meeting at the end of Chapter One).

Last edited:

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I FINISHED MY BOOK!!!!!

From May 10- Aug. 28! Officially my longest book yet, at 195K!

I'm FINALLY DONE THE HOLIDAY HACKER!!!!

:hooray: :banana: :Guitar: :PartySmil :TheWave: :yessmiley :e2bear: :e2woo: :snoopy:

WOOOT WOOOT! CONGRATS!

So it's a whole book set in one night? Can you let me know how you get on with it? Because I want to write a holiday romance set over a week one day, and I'm not sure how I'm going to make 40K - 50K worth of worth stretch that long.

Read N1ck and N0rah's Infinit3 Playlist, If I St@y, and it's sequel, Wher3 She went.

Tehehehehe I love stumbleupon

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/28/portraits-of-dogs-as-they-shake-off-water/

Oh, and I finished chapter fifteen of TWWR! Yay!

LOL awesome pics. ANd woot on finishing another chapter!

Wait, Ally, your summary from the page before-- just remember that you can't query in first person, yeah?

I think she wrote it that way because she tends to use first singular/plural person since she uses her name as her MC's name

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also, Tally, can you explain how the 3 Act Structure would work in romance? I'm sure the original act of this beginning ended wrong (them meeting at the end of Chapter One).

What's your specific question about structure? I think I can answer this.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you still care about telling that story, I say keep working at it. If you ever get to the point where you can't stand reading it anymore or writing it, that's when you stop.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, Ari!

*huggles Lisa back*

Okay, so, today, I'm gonna read Animal Farm.

Also, I want to pack my backpack.

And... I'm gonna finish two chapters of two different stories, plot some OWHH, maybe work on Sweet As Sin a bit.

ETA: Well, I don't really write romance, but I'd imagine that...

Act 1: The world and characters are established, the romantic leads meet
Act 2: Our leads fall slowly in love, either in ignorance or in spite of conflicts and consequences. Things keep getting worse, though. And then the black moment of doom happens (character A finds out about B's arranged marriage, someone dies, whatever)
Act 3: Resolution, things get fixed (or don't).

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Tally: Sweet As Sin?

Karla: Well, you know romance has a formula? (I'm presuming there's one for paranormal romance, but I'm not sure) Well, going by that formula, what would be the Inciting Incident? I'm just wondering 'cause when I showed Tally a bit of the outline for Underdogs, she said the II wasn't Matthew being put on the hitlit - it needed to be something that started the main plot.

/ramble. Sorry. I'm not very confident when it comes to that stuff.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet As Sin: Told through a truly horrendous mock query I wrote almost a year ago.

Dancing with demons always comes with risks. In Reinette’s case, the risk is the collapse of the universe.

Reinette is the original Sin. She doesn’t really know what that means, except that she can seduce pretty much anyone and gets to carry around a wicked soul-stealing sword. But when she saves a little girl from a gang led by her very, very human ex, she digs herself into deeper trouble than she’d ever imagined Sin could get into.

It turns out this girl is the original Virtue, whatever that is. But more importantly, she has in her possession the Pendant of All Souls, the one object anyone in Hell would sacrifice the planet to stumble across. But now they’re actively searching it, going so far as to enlist humans like Reinette’s ex for help, and there’s only one reason they’d be doing that; they’re planning a war to overtake the higher powers in Hell’s hierarchy. And that includes Reinette.

If Reinette wants to keep her wicked sword, her freedom, and her entire universe, she has to ally herself with the girl. And the only way for Sin and Virtue to cooperate is to taste a little of the other. So Reinette has four months to teach a twelve-year-old desire; and in return, she has four months to learn humanity.

SWEET AS SIN is a XXX-word YA urban fantasy.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I killed the thread. Sorry.

Lisa-- I would imagine that when the MCs meet, it's the end of act one.

However, I don't read romance. I watch chick flicks. My knowledge on the subject is very limited.

I've read a few YA paranormal romances, though, and that usually stands true. It could be when the MC discovers that their LI is a vampire/werewolf/witch/ghost/alien/angel.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Last night, I had three SNI's. Two fantasy, one dealing with mermaids and sea stuff, and the other dealing with Greek mythology stuff, and a romance taking place during WW2. My oh my.

*takes notes from the discussion above*

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
The other mock query I wrote back then (and I know it sucks):

Reinette Chevalier likes to walk along beaches, eat Chinese food, and poke dead things with a stick. She spends her days flirting her way into restaurants, shopping for criminally provocative clothes, and trying to convince people that the sky really is green. She spends her nights dancing with demons, ruining changeling’s lives, and fixing up rips in reality.

Reinette Chevalier is the original Sin, one of the highest positions in Hell’s social hierarchy. She spends most of her days on earth, playing games with humans—until she saves one from a gang led by her very human ex-boyfriend.

The human turns out to be in possession of the Pendant of All Souls, the most powerful artifact a Soulless could get their hands on. And Reinette’s sworn to protect the Pendant. So when it turns out that the gang is starting a rebellion in hell and needs the Pendant to have the upper hand, Reinette literally has no choice but to save the world in the time laid out for her: four months.

Generally speaking, Reinette could do all that and invade Heaven in four months. But Reinette has to take care of a small, very human, and very afraid girl. And that means stealing souls to heighten her powers is out of the question.

Reinette has only one choice: learn humanity in 122 days or watch the universe fall.

ETA: The good thing about Sin is that it's almost 20k in. But then again, there's also Dawning Glory, which is 30k in...

*runs to Stories file* Dawning Glory! How did I ever forget about you? I love you so much! Bad Tally! Bad, bad Tally!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I like mermaids and sea stuff! That's what Seahome is about, once I get to that one.

ETA: I like the second query better than the first, lol.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds awesome Tally.

So, if Act One is Tristan finding out Dulcie is a fae, that can't take as long as it does in version #4. And the end of the second act, Tristan finding Dulcie is engaged to Cassius would be too soon after that. :/

I fail. :/

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I got the idea from my friend joking around about one of the older men who was following us on our walk around the harbor disappearing because he was a merman. Now, it's not that, really... But, it still gave me the idea ;)

Lisa - Let's nit get back into the whole "I suck" thing again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.