Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
And now I think I'm about headed to bed. Class in like ten hours, and I'd like to have time to actually eat breakfast and get some stuff done before. *sigh* G'night!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, god, I'm crapping myself. For this Theatre Reviewer job, they asked if I could write between 400-500 word review on something i've seen lately, as a guideline on what my style is like. The last play I saw was Much Ado About Nothing in July. My only problem is, after reading some of the reviews they've done, my vocabulary is like.... shit.
I don't know how to use such big words such as... well any word beyond my range. I want to give it a go, of course, but I don't know... I think, I know my vocab is too limited. I guess the Thesaurus is going to my loving companion for a while, eh?:p haha

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Just don't outdo yourself with it. Keep it to a limit with those big fancy words:p

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
dont worry. You will do fine.

Good morning everyone! I wrote all together 7.6K yesterday!!!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys. Hum... lets see i might be able to catch in one yawn session. Before i get piled on with work, at work!

I better get writing!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys read this and tell me if it covers the basis of the play, even though I didn't make it to 400 words. Thanks.

The opening of Much Ado About Nothing is intriguing, and all-round funny, as you're taken to early 1980s Gibraltar: this decision made by Josie Rourke.

The grand entrance of none other than David Tennant is not missed as he toots along in his golf buggy, designed like a traditional London tour bus, and presents himself wearing a crisp guard uniform, along with his men. He delivers great strong scottish one liners and chest-heaving laughs from the audience. And we're only fifteen minutes in.

The pairing of David Tennant as Benedick with Catherine Tate as Beatrice is perfect. They truly steal the show, with the story of how Beatrice's cousin, Hero, on her wedding-eve, has supposedly betrayed Claudio with another man moving flawlessly between their antics. We're then shown a whole new hen-party scene in which we see Hero's maid, wearing her mistress's wig, enjoying some noisy fun in disco-club darkness.
This being Shakespeare's funniest plays, it certainly lives up to its expectations.

Tennant is perfect at showing Benedick's change from the self-conscious fool of the officers' mess into a man experiencing love. Even if it is the weirdest love connection anyone's ever seen.
Tate also gives an excellent show of Beatrice as the kind of casual, high-spirited woman who uses her wittiness as a defence against her true feelings and engagement: more noticeably when Benedick turns up at Leonato's party in female costume, she goes dressed as a man.
Seeking to show Claudio's shame over his ill-treatment of Hero, you see him attempting suicide at her tomb until she supposedly appears as a ghost.
He later finds Hero alive and well, but not before he's persuaded to marry her “twin sister” as a substitute.

On top of all this, the spectacular cast of Tom Bateman and Sarah MacRae as a heartwarming Claudio and Hero and Elliott Levey as a closeted Don John make for an over-all entertaining performance and you leave feeling somewhat lighter inside.
And despite having seen it well into it's second month of shows, there was no let down and their performance stayed lifted throughout.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Kathryn. You saw David Tennant in the play? 0.o

*not faaaaair.*

Haha yeah, in July. This review is for a website that I can "work" for if they like my style of writing. It's not paid, but it's still experience.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a comment on the review I did? Anyone? Because I need to know so I can email it to them.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I will, Kathryn. Just give me a sec to look through it. There was once sentence that sounded awkward.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a comment on the review I did? Anyone? Because I need to know so I can email it to them.

I think it's really good! I don't really like the opening though, I think you should give a more interesting opening that grabs your attention. Maybe ask the reader a question. I.e. Have you ever woken up somewhere, someplace with no recollection of how you got there? Except tailor it to the play. The example was from my story...
I would embed your spread out your original opening and embed it into the review. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.