Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
My family's very conservative but my mom's very "hands-off" when it comes to what I read/watch/listen to. She never let me watch Barney, though, which I don't really care about. Kind of thankful, actually.

Basically I can watch whatever I want as long as she's not in the house (not because she doesn't want me watching it, but because she doesn't want to watch it). She hates Secret Life, but I used to watch it when she wasn't home.

Also, my mom listens to worse music than I do. There's a reason why I knew all the words to Animals before I got into Nickelback.

ETA: Never in my life have I ever been to a concert. Keith Urban was close to here awhile back. I wanted to go SO BAD.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
@Tally

... o_O

There's Unhindered, David Crowder Band, Bluetree, Skillet, Starfield, The Afters, TobyMac, Britt Nicole, Matt Maher, Stellar Kart, Lincoln Brewster and a whole bunch of other people. hehe

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
On the big scale, my family's pretty conservative. But my immediate family is so not.

It was funny when I was younger. My mom was like "Sweetie, you need to watch more movies", and I was like, "but they're all having sex in them!" and she was like "so is everyone in the real world, hun."

Never heard of any of them.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Bahaha, really Tally?
Sex in TV and movies is the one thing that my parents are iffy about me being "exposed" to. Cuz' it's not like I knew about any of that when I was like... 7 or anything. :D

... Skillet is a religious band? How did I not know this?

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
They've been to YC, they've won Dove awards, it says they are on Wikipedia.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. They're alright, I guess. I watched them on webcam at YC Alberta. They're not very good live, I have to say.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Me and my mom watching Secret Life:

Mom: I probably shouldn't be watching this with you.
Me: I know everything anyway, Mom.
Mom: Yeah, that's true.

My mom believes in having a very open, honest relationship with me. In her words "I'd like you to wait 'till you're out of high school, but I'd rather take you to get birth control then have you sneaking around behind my back."

Oh, also, Taylor, you should know that one of my characters (well, and then villain) uses a lot of... colorful language. However, the book does have a rather pro-faith stance by the end. It's a journey. Not the plot of the book, but a subplot, I guess.

But Secret Life's nothing. My mom and I have watched the Tudors together.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I think my brother has a few Skillet CDs. Huh, I would have never guessed they were a religious band.

I wonder if there are any jewish religious bands... that would be amusing. *goes to look up*

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sort of.

YC is Youth Confrence or convention. It takes place in Newfoundland, Manitoba, Alberta, and then there is Malawi and Belieze. It's a weekend, and they have bands come and play along with speakersand stuff. My youth groupjustcame back from a YC missions trip to Labrador. I wanted go go,but I wasn't old enough :(

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care who's a religious band, as long as they don't sound preachy in songs and try to make me "pray to God" or whatever it is they promote, then I'm all ears! lol
I'm not against religion, I just don't appreciate having other peoples views shoved down my throat... if you get my meaning? :/

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Me and my mom watching Secret Life:

Mom: I probably shouldn't be watching this with you.
Me: I know everything anyway, Mom.
Mom: Yeah, that's true.

My mom believes in having a very open, honest relationship with me. In her words "I'd like you to wait 'till you're out of high school, but I'd rather take you to get birth control then have you sneaking around behind my back."

Oh, also, Taylor, you should know that one of my characters (well, and then villain) uses a lot of... colorful language. However, the book does have a rather pro-faith stance by the end. It's a journey. Not the plot of the book, but a subplot, I guess.

But Secret Life's nothing. My mom and I have watched the Tudors together.

My mom's kind of bipolar when it comes to things like that. My mom loves South Park but she can't stand Scrubs. She still can't believe my uncle lets my cousin watch it.

Then there was the time I was sleeping over at a friend's house and there were a couple guys over but they slept upstairs. My great-aunt freaked when my mom mentioned it but my mom just said "If they're going to have sex, they're going to have it anyway."

My mom read Fade and she couldn't believe some of the subject matter. (She also tried to read The Duff, but she didn't like Bianca so she didn't make it far enough to get to the sex.) She's watched The Tudors, but I haven't. She is trying to get me to watch Torchwood, though. The old seasons, not the new Americanized Torchwood.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
In one of the Americanized Torchwood episode, my father actually covered his eyes. I was dying of laughter. It was hilarious.

South Park is amazingly horrible in terms of content, I love it.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, the older Torch Wood episodes were better. Made more sense too.
Try watching True Blood with your parents... that'd make for entertaining viewing :p hahah

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, I listened to some of those bands' songs. The instrumentals are nice, the vocals are nice, but the lyrics... a bunch of them sound really preachy.

Which is strange, because I actually do have faith and might even identify and Christian. I'm just... I'm way more spiritual than religious, if that makes sense.

When it comes to religious songs, I like a few, like "I Look To You".

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My Mum doesn't like romance, so I haven't had that sort of problem with her, thank God.

Also, I seriously need to catch up on my reviews. I have loads to do!

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
In the new season, it seems like their throwing around sex for the sake of throwing it around. That annoys me. And I miss having a new thing every episode- since the new one is just them trying to solve the miracle day thing. But, I still watch it.

My grammy once told me that I should watch True Blood. :D
I can't though, we don't have the channel.

I saw Stepbrothers in theaters with my family. That was awkward.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done diddly squat today, which is annoying since I planned on getting lots done writing wise, today. ughhhhh

With True Blood, I gotta watch it online since we get it a year later on our tv channels -.- and that's NOT cool!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I actually do have faith and might even identify and Christian. I'm just... I'm way more spiritual than religious, if that makes sense.

Same here. I have The Fray's albums, an album by Fireflight and a song by Relient K, but if an artist was really preachy, I wouldn't like them very much.

ETA: I had to watch "Blasted" for uni in November, and I went with Mum. There was a bit where the man took his clothes. Do I need to say anything else?

Although she was expecting him to 'go hard'. XD

Last edited:

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite song by a Christian band is You Are More by Tenth Avenue North.

Status
Not open for further replies.