Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Para! Was just about to text you :). I was reading the PM you sent me this time last year. It was, and still is, the sweetest message I've ever received!

Awww. I'm glad you find it encouraging. You're pretty awesome. :LilLove:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
See, here's my problem with people hating Twilight: think about the story if we genderswapped it. If Bella were a boy. Let's call him Brad.

Brad moves to live with his dad to give his mom space with her new stepfather. As soon as he arrives at his new school, plenty of girls are flirting with him, but he isn't interested in a shallow relationship. Rather, he's curious about the social outsider who sits next to him in biology, Emily, and seems to have a personal hatred for him. He pursues her friendship until he figures out her secret: she's a vampire. Though she has lots of self-hatred over it, Brad can see both the inner and outer beauty in her, and falls in love with her. Though the relationship puts him in danger, Emily matters more to him, and he refuses to give up on her.

ETA: I have so much love for Glee I don't understand how it's possible. I think all their covers are fantastic, the actors are immensely talented, and though the storyline is highly inconsistent the show means more to me and has helped me so much I can't thank it enough.

ETA 2: OMG, doesn't anyone actually read the glee news instead of spreading hearsay? Chris Colfer will either star in a new spin-off of him, Lea Michele and Darren Criss in NYC, or stay on Glee as a graduate. It's been stated over and over again.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OMG I LOVE THAT MOVIE. I haven't watched it in ages though... but, "I've Just Seen A Face", as sung by the lovely Mr. Sturgess, is on the Suns and Stars soundtrack. :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
See, here's my problem with people hating Twilight: think about the story if we genderswapped it. If Bella were a boy. Let's call him Brad.

Brad moves to live with his dad to give his mom space with her new stepfather. As soon as he arrives at his new school, plenty of girls are flirting with him, but he isn't interested in a shallow relationship. Rather, he's curious about the social outsider who sits next to him in biology, Emily, and seems to have a personal hatred for him. He pursues her friendship until he figures out her secret: she's a vampire. Though she has lots of self-hatred over it, Brad can see both the inner and outer beauty in her, and falls in love with her. Though the relationship puts him in danger, Emily matters more to him, and he refuses to give up on her.

It's not just the story that annoys me... it's badly written!

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
The ending was a tad surprising if you were under the impression it was a genre romance. :tongue

I was. I'm starting to feel like this is becoming a trend in adult lit. Which is probably why I don't read it.

HR! *TACKLE-HUG*
Hows life post-potter? I'm not doing so well...Have you signed up for Pottermore?

Very stressful. I was able to sign up for early entry. :D Still haven't gotten my e-mail, though.

Oooh it's getting dark.

Anyone else sad at how fast this summer is going? *sniff sniff*

Not really sad exactly. I'm kind of in shock that I'm moving into college a week from tomorrow.

The stalking would still be creepy.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I am one of the people who totally fangirled it when they first read it. I read Twilight like... 15 times within the first month I read it. I think it is a good story. It's addicting to he reader and you honestly get to care about the characters. I just think the writing needs work, and we need to see that Bella has a life outside of Edward. Those are my biggest pet peeves with it.

ETA- And the stalking thing. That is creepy.
I do appreciate how well it has gotten non-readers to read. A few of my friends starting reading because they read Twilight.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
HR-- my point was that Bella gets so much hatred, and that if you think about it it's only because she's a girl. Brad wouldn't be called a Mary-Sue (or Gary-Stu), because of the sexism in our society, that thinks men can be awesome and perfect but women can't. I'm stating an opinion on the critics, not the story.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You guys know what I want to watch again?

Firefly.

And I'd still be pretty skeeved out by Twilight even if it were gender swapped. Mostly cause it's...just...

Stalking isn't really my idea of a loving relationship.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I also think that when they think of Bella, they think of the movie. And I don't think Kristen Stewart did a very good job portraying the character. I've observed that Kristen Steward excels in playing mopey characters (and she seems mopey in real life), and that she may have acted too mopey? I don't know.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Cause Firefly was just plain awesome and everyone should watch it.

Seriously, even if you don't like sci-fi, you'll love it because of the great characters, hilarious` writing, and it's by the guy who did Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to watch Firefly. I have it, but I just never watched it.

I've been watching Dead Like Me. Cuz' that show is awesomely morbid.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I am not talking about Twilight. I am talking about the sexism behind the criticism of the character Bella. I'm not saying anything about Edward. Hell, I'm not even saying anything about Bella. I'm saying that people judge female characters way harsher than male characters.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not arguing with that. I've been in the receiving end of such stupid shit.

I subbed a story to my advanced writing class.

My girl character didn't sound feminine enough, because they didn't "internalize" their emotions and were instead focused on external things all the time.

OH, I'M SORRY THE INVASION OF GIANT SPIDERS WERE DISTRACTING MY MC FROM HER FUCKING MAKE UP, ASSHOLES

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I dont judge Bella or Edward, i judge the entire story. IMO I dont like it because i hate how she screwed around with the vampire and werewolf legends, i hate the characters, all of them. I hate how predictible it was. And because i personally dont like romance novels, which was all Twilight was in my opinion.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This year, I'm going to be sending in Debris Dreams. I wonder how many are going to assume that "Dru" is short for "Andrew" and calling her unfeminine when they find out it's actually short for Drusilla...

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not arguing with that. I've been in the receiving end of such stupid shit.

I subbed a story to my advanced writing class.

My girl character didn't sound feminine enough, because they didn't "internalize" their emotions and were instead focused on external things all the time.

OH, I'M SORRY THE INVASION OF GIANT SPIDERS WERE DISTRACTING MY MC FROM HER FUCKING MAKE UP, ASSHOLES

jHAHAHAHAH i got told that too! I was told that my MC, Ally who =me, wasnt girly enough. NOT EVERY GIRL IS GIRLY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.