Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
No, don't shorten a double-barrelled name. M1ller isn't her name. She's Ms Egan-M1ller.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. Double-barrelled names are often chosen deliberately to reflect two sides of the family, so shortening the name can have problematic implications. For example, let's say a woman is born a Smith and marries a Jones. She objects to taking her husband's name because that tradition is a relic of the days when women used to belong like property to their closest male relative. So the surname Smith-Jones symbolises that she is in equal partnership with her husband, both names represented equally in their joint surname. Now imagine that you call her Mrs Jones. :tongue

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's any more confusing than the current system of the wife taking the husband's name. In both cases the name is changed, but in the current case the wife's identity is symbolically subsumed into the husband's; she stops becoming Miss Smith and becomes Mrs Jones. Technically, in formal address she even takes his first name, becoming Mrs David Jones. That seems pretty wrong to me. By comparison, Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones retain their original identities (as Mr Jones and Miss Smith) and their names are equal.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to finish writing LL. It is getting on my nerves. Gaaaah.

*bangs head against the wall*

ETA- If I get married I think I want to keep my last name. I'm pretty sure I'll keep it, unless the other person has a really awesome last name- in which it will be hyphenated.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I am the last generation with my last name, and being a girl it will vanish if I ever marry. I've thought about the hyphen thing but I am lazy and it is just more letters to put on paper. *shrug*

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I just realized that my last name is long too. It's 10 letters. xD

I've just noticed with people I know that once they change their last name, it's been a struggle for them to be know under a different last name. I don't know. It's all personal opinion.

I kind of wish I had my moms maiden name, because I like it more than my dads last name. It's shorter and jewish-sounding. :D

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Kea- I'll send you my sort-of synopsis over Skype in a bit.

Distraction should be my middle name. :D
Also, I kind of want to rename the MC in SNI because I want it to have some sort of meaning. I can't pick a name I like, though. I also want it to match the two side characters. *sigh*

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I've got nothing to do... And I don't feel like writing. *groans*

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Zoe, do you mean AIM? XD I don't have a Skype.

Distraction should be my first name. :p

And all my character's name's don't have any sort of special meaning. o.o; I just name them what I like. xD As long as it matches their ethnicity, I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.