Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Mmm... On a coffee high lilly1326001's Avatar
    I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.

Mmm... On a coffee high lilly1326001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
    What type of books do you write, Lilly?
    I mostly write YA novels that have a literary edge (mostly social issues or philosophical), so as you can most probably tell the market isn't so big for books like that.

Murder isn't so bad...
    Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?

The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract to make it legally binding. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning your age. Agents and publishers don't care - if you can write to a publishable standard, they'll take you; if not, they won't.

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately) Kyrie's Avatar
    What Para said. I remember Kody telling me that her agent had no idea she was 17 until she said that her mom would need to cosign the contract.
    Letters to Oliver: querying. Sent: 43 Rejections: 26 Fulls: 4 Partials: 1

A Terror of Darkness: v. 4.0 - 67k - waiting for beta comments

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!

Murder isn't so bad...
    Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lilly1326001 View Post
    I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.
    Kody didn't mention her age until she got The Call. I don't have to worry about it anymore (I just turned 18), but if I'd gotten an offer while I was a teen, I probably would have done the same as her. Just say that you're under 18 but your parents are willing to cosign any contracts. If the agent loves your book, that's really the only issue with being a teen writer.

Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?
    Me? No, the two novels I queried had horrible plot issues. The second one got a couple requests, but neither one had a central plot. I'm probably going to start querying for the third time sometime the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
    The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract as well as you. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning it. Agents and publishers don't care. If you can write to a publishable standard and behave like a professional, you're in regardless of your age. If not, they're not interested.
    Listen to Para. She gives great advice.
    | Blog | Twitter |

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
    Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.
    No. They could just be busy. They may not even have opened their query inbox for the last six weeks.

It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again.
    | Blog | Twitter |

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

PS: I am cranky because MY CITY IS ON FIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
    It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again.
    You and me and Kyrie are all cross-posting! We're like a triumvirate of ninja awesomeness.

Oh my gosh, Para. *hugs* I was wondering how the London twifties were doing. Are you okay? Why are they rioting?
    | Blog | Twitter |

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

HR, someone on twitter told me that the police killed someone and it started out as a protest but it got bigger?

*hopes that other london twifties are alright*
    Lovely Lies-
    27k/50k

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
    1.6k/50k

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
    Oh my gosh, Para. *hugs* I was wondering how the London twifties were doing. Are you okay? Why are they rioting?
    It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.

He Who Plays With Dolls Keagerz's Avatar
    That is absolutely horrible...>_<; I hope everyone is okay. I"m really worried about the London twifties.

*hugs for everyone*
    Back from the dead.

Lovely Lies-
    27k/50k

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
    1.6k/50k

Thanks, team. Slightly stressed. Hope my ninja partner Amna is okay.

Lisa hasn't posted on here in awhile, I hope she's ok.
    Lovely Lies-
    27k/50k

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
    1.6k/50k

Murder isn't so bad...
    Gone for an hour and I missed so much... That sounds terrible

This is the third night of rioting, and it's getting worse.

Murder isn't so bad...
    I'm sorry... Hope it all works out.

Murder isn't so bad...
    Got my teeth pulled today. It took 3 seconds and was surprisingly painless

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately) Kyrie's Avatar
    You and me and Kyrie are all cross-posting! We're like a triumvirate of ninja awesomeness.
    *bows*

PS: I am cranky because MY CITY IS ON FIRE.
    What I've heard and read about it is just so horrible and terrifying. *hugs* I really hope everybody is okay and stays safe, and that this all calms down very soon.
    Letters to Oliver: querying. Sent: 43 Rejections: 26 Fulls: 4 Partials: 1

A Terror of Darkness: v. 4.0 - 67k - waiting for beta comments

And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.

BLOGGER! YOUTUBE!

hey everyone, was wondering if anyone wanted to word war on here? start at 00:00 to go 00:30?
    Learning To Fly: On the Wings of Virtue: 12k/60k

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM Imbroglio's Avatar
    It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.
    Good heavens, that is incredible. I'd be having a panic attack, I'm such a scaredy cat.
    SPIRITS - 2nd Draft - EPILOGUE [110k - Seeking Betas]

CURRENTLY READING: Furies of Calderon|Boneshaker

Page 315 of 1105 FirstFirst ... 652152402652903053093103113123133143153163173183193203213253403653904155658151065 ... LastLast