MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Like it? Sorry for the change in font.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a slight realism issue with the idea that the protagonist is such a successful writer that he needs security guards to stop fans mobbing him at a launch party. JK Rowling has sold half a billion copies and even she isn't that popular.

lilly1326001

Mmm... On a coffee high
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, MR. Just wondering, but are you on the older end or younger end of being a teen? It would be nice to finally have a replacement for being the baby of the group! :D

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Lilly, how old are you?

I thought I was the baby! Or... at least I was when I joined.

Motion City Soundtrack is coming here this month and if I don't get to see them, I will most likely cry. I haven't been to a concert in 4 years.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Middle end of teen. And yes this author is J.K. Rowling famous. He has a series as succesful as HP. Is the bodyguards overdoing it? I put them in for a sick-minded joke later on... but it is fiction. Is the writing itself bearable?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I have a tendency to exaggerate things...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying - even the billionaire author of the most phenomenally successful series of all time is less famous than your protagonist. That's going to be a hard sell.

This isn't really the place for detailed critiques. Once you have 50 posts you can post in Share Your Work.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I'll change it later on. I kinda thought that Rowling would have a bodyguard in her Deathly Hallows premier. She didn't, really? News to me. Then again, it was just an assumption.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Lilly, I may have lied about being mid-teen. I'm kinda reluctant about telling my age. You aren't the youngest. I'm actually 13! That'll explain the exaggerated statements.

lilly1326001

Mmm... On a coffee high
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. Bye-bye group baby. Hello new group baby! :)
So is this your first novel length WIP?

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
I feel like an old fart all the sudden, haha. *is 18* Dx *will be 19 in November*

I should go work on my novel. Even though I'm sick of doing character development and outline stuff.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd prefer not to be called "group baby" and I already completed a novel; it was 76,000 words and I have queried a few agents. This is my second novel and what I posted there was the first two paragraphs of it; I wrote it five minutes before publishing it and I am in love with the idea of the book. I'll tell you more about it later on... Wouldn't it be cool to be published at 13, though I am dubious that that will happen.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I know, it's worth a shot. You have never queried an agent? I plan to self-pub, though, maybe get some good sales so it would look gould on a query letter for the next book...
What type of books do you write, Lilly?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Just gotta another, but it was from an agent that I didn't see much of a chance with. I still have one out there that I'm pretty confident about.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Man, I'm so envious of you two. When I was 13, I wasn't' writing much since my teacher pretty much destroyed my confidence and my safety net. It took me until I was about...16 to really gain back a microscopic bit of my confidence to start writing again. o_O I didn't write at all from ages 12-16. T_T and i'm kicking myself for it.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I know, it's worth a shot. You have never queried an agent? I plan to self-pub, though, maybe get some good sales so it would look gould on a query letter for the next book...
What type of books do you write, Lilly?

You would have to sell very well in order to be able to even mention self-published books in a query letter.

P.S. From what I know about people looking down on teen writers, being a teen author is not all it's cracked up to be. Even if you are a great writer, it can be difficult to shed the "child star" and "teens can't write" mindsets.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I know the fact that I'm a teen doesn't seem to be helping me but I refrain from telling agents my exact age in queries unless they are interested. So is it worth not mentioning self-pub in the future unless my book sells as well as Amanda Hocking's do?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Don't even mention that you're a teen in queries unless the agent specifically says "If you are a teen, mention your age in the query." With all the agent's I've queried, I've only known one that ever said that and he's no longer in the business.

*googles Amanda Hocking* For every self-pubbed author like her, there are hundreds or thousands more that will never have their self-pubbed books picked up by a traditional publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.