Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a bit silly that i've decided to end my story at just over 50,000 words? I mean, the girl is narrating it (well, most of it) and she's telling the over-all story and it sort of ends on a cliff hanger... like if I did another story to it, it would carry on. You'd get to see what happened next. I just... I just worry i'm ending it because it seems I don't know how to carry on, ending for the sake of ending. And I do know how. I just don't want this story to be a one off, if that makes sense.

I'm making myself dizzy.

I'm going to be adding parts to the rest of the story, so I was thinking if I play it like i've finished the ending, and edit now, then I know the length of the novel will be a lot longer. Am I rambling? I am, aren't I?

Every book in a series has to have it's own plot arc. The next book doesn't just start where the last one ended. That's why you can't just take a 250,000 word novel, divide it into three books, and call it a trilogy.

It's all about the feel, though. The reader has to feel satisfied when they finish, not like they've been cut off.

I need to write. gah. I'm putting it off.

I know what you mean. I need to work on line edits so I can move on to other important things. Instead I keep finding other things to do.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I need to come up with stronger, more interesting characters to get attached. My last protag was not very good but I have a better idea for a new one - mom dead, dad recently murdered, dropped out of HS not b/c he was stupid but because he's distracted, wants to pursue acting career but when dad is murdered, discovers that there is more to his dad than he realized... I think he's a much better char, but your chars must be very strong for you to be so attached to them.

Yeah my characters are pretty strong and very loveable. I dont get many compliments on my writing but the one thing i ever got from almost everyone who read something of mine, was they loved my characters. Its a blessing and a curse, because i can never ever kill off any of my 5 MC's... but i found a way to "kill" a few in the last two books, they wont really be dead, but the others will think they are for a very long while.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading it all, editing, and then will most likely keep writing. It's probably a totally different way to how most writers do it, but hey, it's my story :) teehee

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah my characters are pretty strong and very loveable. I dont get many compliments on my writing but the one thing i ever got from almost everyone who read something of mine, was they loved my characters. Its a blessing and a curse, because i can never ever kill off any of my 5 MC's... but i found a way to "kill" a few in the last two books, they wont really be dead, but the others will think they are for a very long while.

That sounds cool

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to follow Rowling's position on killing off beloved characters, though not quite as many as her. If I feel it's necessary, then I will kill them.

Hey BG!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a bit silly that i've decided to end my story at just over 50,000 words? I mean, the girl is narrating it (well, most of it) and she's telling the over-all story and it sort of ends on a cliff hanger... like if I did another story to it, it would carry on. You'd get to see what happened next. I just... I just worry i'm ending it because it seems I don't know how to carry on, ending for the sake of ending. And I do know how. I just don't want this story to be a one off, if that makes sense.

I'm making myself dizzy.

I'm going to be adding parts to the rest of the story, so I was thinking if I play it like i've finished the ending, and edit now, then I know the length of the novel will be a lot longer. Am I rambling? I am, aren't I?

My series isnt typical, so i dont know how much help i'll be, but i'm going to agree with HR. If the book your writing now and thinking about ending just ended on a good someone completed note but there are still unanswered questions or the looming feeling of danger then i'd say its ok to end it but if you just had a big huge epic scene and then it ends... that's kind of confusing for the reader... think about it this way... Have you ever seen the Underworld movies?

If you have the first one ends off where everything is finished, Victor is dead and Selena and Michael go off on the run, one big huge enemy defeted but there is still that looming danger of retalation and then you find out about Marcus and BOOM perfect new continuation of a plot of the second movie. But the first movie had to "end" before the second movie could begin.

Also if you know of The Lord of the Rings, each movie ended with some big huge thing happening and being completed. First one- they broght the ring to Ravendale and formed the fellowship. Second-they took down Soloums (sp?) tower building thing. Third- they distroyed that damned ring.

Every book in the series has to have its own goals and problems and the over all problem or danger is what ties the series together and makes it a series.

Hope that's helpful, and if you need any more examples i've got like a billion.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, right. Thanks. That sorta helps. I always feel like i have to keep the routine of how to write the same as others. I want to do it my own way. lol. You're all so groovy... high fives to all xD

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to follow Rowling's position on killing off beloved characters, though not quite as many as her. If I feel it's necessary, then I will kill them.

Hey BG!

Yeah. I don't have a series but in "Down by the Bay" I the serial killer murdered three of my minor chars including poor complaining Julia. In total five chars died, one being the protags BF who is actually the murderer, in about 76K words. Now that's some serious killing...

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I have bought the box set of Harry Potter movies from 1-6 to watch. I just have to find Part 1. I know what happens, but the rest of my family don't. This is going to take a while, because my and my sister have already watched the first two, but my mom only seen half of the first one. I'm hoping I get to the third tonight, but I don't think I'm going to get there tonight.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
The movies are surprisingly good. Most books turned into movies are terrible but HP movies are surprisingly good.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I know. So far, they're awesome. Me and my dad can't get over how much Daniel Radcliffe has changed since the first movie.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I love the movies, but the books will always be better.

ETA: Daniel's change is nothing compared to Neville's and Hermione's and some of the other characters. Watch the first movie and then look up the actor that plays Dudley today. They look like two completely separate people.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm writing instead of doing hw. And I have a lot to do...Condensing a feature film into 30 pages (when most are ~120) while keeping the main story the same, and writing a one-paragraph (although it can be up to a page) treatment/synopsis of my script. The former is overdue (but I got an extension anyway) but probably should be done by tomorrow, and the latter is due tomorrow and I still have to figure out some extra scenes in my script. Meep.

My therapist would be highly disappointed in me lol. I just won't tell her though lol

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody want to word war? It seems like I only get writing done when warring is involved.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I just asked this but no one replied and I'm very impatient.
I'm still new to AW and this forum. Was wondering if anyone in this forum writes murder mysteries that you know of? Hardboiled, noir, procedurals? Just wondering. Love that genre and would like to know if there is anyone else here who does too...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still new to AW and this forum. Was wondering if anyone in this forum writes murder mysteries that you know of? Hardboiled, noir, procedurals? Just wondering. Love that genre and would like to know if there is anyone else here who does too...

Patience is essential in this industry. ;) *thinks* Not that I know of, especially if you mean adult. I have a YA mystery bouncing around my brain, but it'll probably be quite some time before I even attempt it.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
AllAboutWords13- Word warring is when you set an amount of time (30min, etc) and see who can write the most words in that amount of time. It kind of forces you to write fast, in a way.

Also, can I call you 13 or words or something shorter than your username? Is there something you prefer?

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
MysteryRiter - I think Ally had replied to your question with something about her series because hers are basically horror mystery, I guess.

Zoe, FWS or just regular word-warring?

And AAW - Word-warring is basically writing for a specific time and comparing word counts. FWS or Fun Writing Session is something I came up with a while ago where we basically word war but we come back here to post up to 5 sentences of our fave part of what we just wrote. Then we rep our comments. Kinda like a mini YAWN with much shorter snips so we can get back to writing right away.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
AllAboutWords13- Word warring is when you set an amount of time (30min, etc) and see who can write the most words in that amount of time. It kind of forces you to write fast, in a way.

Also, can I call you 13 or words or something shorter than your username? Is there something you prefer?

Of course, just call me ABW, that's what others have been doing :)
Well, i'm sort of editing at the moment, to see what needs adding and whatnot. Not sure what good i'd be in a word war right now :/

p.s. My name's Katheryn, by the way. Call me Kat! :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

If you'd skimmed the forum index looking for a mystery forum, you would have noticed the Mystery forum. :tongue

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd skimmed the forum index looking for a mystery forum, you would have noticed the Mystery forum. :tongue

Yeah. I've been there. Just talking about people on this particular forum: never mind the question. Not many YA authors write mystery, feel like it's only me. *sob, sob, sob* just kidding about the sob part.

Status
Not open for further replies.