Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Now instead of working on important things like expanding on a scene that's mostly telling, I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a nerdfighter and Doctor Who reference in here somewhere.

Awesome. :D

Also, you would probably like Firefly. I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Sure! Though I'd like to point out that since you haven't started the WIP yet, your query is likely to change several times over the course of actually writing the book and then revisions. ;)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am listening to the Suns and Stars playlist because all I've got to do is fill in where I left some notes and then that's Chapter Twelve finished. :D

Also, I love jelly. :D

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Dear agent:

If Eliot King had known that his luck would run out, he would have stopped gambling a long time ago. Now not only is his friendship with Crandall Jefferson over, but he owes him eight thousand dollars. Eliot knows that it'll take years of flipping burgers to pay off his debt - but he doesn't have that much time.

Crandall wants no - needs his money now and he doesn't care if he has to beat Eliot to a bloody pulp everyday just so he can understand how important it is for him to pay his debt.

Three missing teeth and a broken jaw later, Eliot doesn't think things can possibly get any worse. Then one day he comes home to find an eviction letter tacked on the front door and his mother in pieces. As he tries to put everything back together again - Eliot realizes that he needs money and fast.

Things start to look up when Sadie Harris asks him to pretend to be her boyfriend. Eliot says yes - because what seventeen year old boy desperate for money would say no to the daughter of the richest man in town?

STEALING SADIE is a young adult contemporary novel complete at XXX and is available upon request.

I'm on the fence. You've done a great job setting up the story, touching on the stakes, and making me care about Eliot.

As a query, it's a little long. There's a lot of build-up and then a big jump from Eliot being beaten up every day to Eliot pretending to be some girl's boyfriend. How is that going to help him? Is she paying him? Is Crandall going to use her to make sure he gets his money?

ETA: Nitpick: You can take off 'is available upon request.' It's safe for the agent to assume that if you're querying, the manuscript is available upon request.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
HR - Yeah the transition between Eliot getting beat up and him pretending to be Sadie's boyfriend is a little weak. He does actually *use* Sadie to get his money and she actually has her reasons for asking him to be her pretend boyfriend.

It's too long? I tried to keep it under 250 words so the whole thing is actually 208 words. Thanks for your critique. I'll keep your questions in mind when I go to rewrite it after I actually finish SS. :)

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
@Elysium

I have some comments about the query.
I can see a couple of stages of tension here:
1) He starts gambling, and now owes money to a thug
2) The thug is knocking on his door and beating him up whenever possible
3) The eviction notice comes
There's a sudden drop in tension here though, which can be deadly for a query:
Things start to look up when Sadie Harris asks him to pretend to be her boyfriend. Eliot says yes - because what seventeen year old boy desperate for money would say no to the daughter of the richest man in town?
It's true. Which poor boy would say no? So what's the tension here? Currently it seems like you gave it all away -- bad things happen, then bam she asks him out and he has his money, and everything is hunky-dory now. I don't think that works for a query - nor is it what you're probably trying to put across, but agents only have the words in front of them to judge by.

So what goes wrong after the rich girl asks him out?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Koss - Things definitely don't go well after Sadie asks him to be her fake boyfriend. The story is written from both POVs so at the same time Eliot is using Sadie, Sadie is using Eliot tovget back at her father who she feels is neglecting because he has a new family and he doesn't seem to pay much attention to her. So she acts out doing minor things because she isn't trying to be a bad kid. Eliot comes into the picture when her father hosts a fundraiser and invites all of these other rich, uppity people. Sadie is under the impression that Eliot is a "bad boy" because of the way he looks. So she figures what better way to embarrass her father who is all about keeping up appearances than by bringing a "thug" to the party.

As for Crandall, he isn't really a thug per se. H got mixed up with some bad people who he owes a lot of money to so...yeah.

Thanks for the feeback! :)

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
So...in BB, Belle is reading Looking for Alaska. The book was published in 2005. BB takes place in 2003. *sighs* I'm trying to think of another book that I can have her read. I really wanted it to be that one, though.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
So...in BB, Belle is reading Looking for Alaska. The book was published in 2005. BB takes place in 2003. *sighs* I'm trying to think of another book that I can have her read. I really wanted it to be that one, though.

Is the year that your book take place important to your story? If not, then maybe you can change it from 2003 to 2005.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ari.

What I tend to do in that situation is put some music that fits the story on. or Disney on YouTube. :3 Try it. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I originally had my YA protagonist reading Harry Potter, but I thought mentioning Harry Potter in the first scene of a book about an abused kid being invited to a special school for magic might be a bit much. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.