Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
You people are amazing. You know that, right? All i ever want in life is to be as good as you all are at writing. But right now? I fail! -.-

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I thought the numbers were dates, but it's chapters! And Cho/Ginny I don't understand. :/

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever be a spreadsheet person. I like to write out lengthy paragraphs when I outline, and do a lot of really random formatting :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to try it and see how I go. I suppose if you do it on a computer, you can change things easily if you get new ideas/during the editing stage, so it's not too rigid.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
All right, officially in love with the Batman Begins score. So much of it fits the tone of Weeping perfectly, which is awesome when I'm presently working on a playlist for said novel.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Cho/Ginny refers to a subplot, Harry's romantic life. Same as Snape/Harry + father refers to the subplot of Snape and James' rivalry through Harry's eyes.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I'm working on mine for Suns and Stars. I've got this weird thing - everytime it goes past a ten mark, say 60 songs, I have to get to the next one. I'm thinking I have to get over this, but it's hard. XD

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Cho/Ginny refers to a subplot, Harry's romantic life. Same as Snape/Harry + father refers to the subplot of Snape and James' rivalry through Harry's eyes.

Oh. Right, as well as next novel, I'm going to use it in the editing stages of Suns and Stars as there are two subplots I ALWAYS to think of scenes for, so the spreadsheet will help me keep track of how similar they are. I have a timeline, but there's no details.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I'm working on mine for Suns and Stars. I've got this weird thing - everytime it goes past a ten mark, say 60 songs, I have to get to the next one. I'm thinking I have to get over this, but it's hard. XD
Lol, very nice. I'm just compiling this thing randomly. I've sort of become obsessed with movie scores the last few days, so instrumentals abound right now.

I don't use outlines, plots, or schemes of any kind. I literally just write and talk to myself a LOT.
...I would love to witness this.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I have no idea how you guys make soundtracks. I just kinda listen to random music.

Speaking of music, I recently re-got Be Your Girl by Chieko Kawabe. It's the most incongruous ending credit music EVER. It's this semi-upbeat rock tune about love and romance...and do you know what it's attached too?

Elfen Lied.

The show about the mutant girls who can rip people limb from limb with their mind (and usually do). The show that dealt with incest, rape, pedophillia, mutilation and pretty much every single horrible thing that can happen to a person every EPISODE.

We're talking about a show where one episode has a 12 year old girl befriending a puppy, then having the puppy get kicked to death by bullies. Then she uses her mind powers to RIP THE BULLIES LIMB FROM LIMB. On camera! In graphic, blood spurting, skin snapping, bone popping, incredibly gruesome detail.

And THIS is your end credit song!?

WHAT THE FUCK!?

Has a bitching guitar part though! (Warning, linked AMV has scenes from the show in it)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ari, I should get out of that habit, shouldn't I?

Though if I'm bored/finished a section and a genre (Glee counts as its own genre) is helping I could find other songs in the genre/from the helping artist to put on...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I have no idea how you guys make soundtracks. I just kinda listen to random music.

Speaking of music, I recently re-got Be Your Girl by Chieko Kawabe. It's the most incongruous ending credit music EVER. It's this semi-upbeat rock tune about love and romance...and do you know what it's attached too?

Elfen Lied.
I don't really make soundtracks. It's just a matter of listening to stuff that has the right tone/feel to it.

And oh god Elfen Lied. That series...can't even comment on it.

Ari, I should get out of that habit, shouldn't I?

Though if I'm bored/finished a section and a genre (Glee counts as its own genre) is helping I could find other songs in the genre/from the helping artist to put on...
Well I don't see anything wrong with the habit.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I go google and search for songs, instead of letting the songs come to me. I used to just search when I was starting the playlist off before the writing stage.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I go through my vast musical collection. It's ridiculous. There are thousands of songs on this poor computer.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I do that as well, but I like using playlist compling as an excuse to find new songs.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes that happens to me. Usually because of Glee or fanvids.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
With me it's usually looking up anime OSTs or a certain friend throwing more music at me. But I do it to her, too, so it's cool, teehee.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
My method is a lot like Zoom's. I don't always use spreadsheets. I often write a synopsis as a plot. And plotting for me always works better handwritten. I just buy notebooks and use them exhaustively.

I have only ever made a playlist for one novel, Parallel, and that was only because of the multiple POVs. I usually just listen to whatever.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I do everything on my computer, but if I'm away from it I use my notebook.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...I would love to witness this.

Hokay.

Well, uh...

I was watching Linkara's amazing historical documentary about the Power Rangers (as seen on That Guy with the Glasses dot com) and was impressed with just how batshit insane and AWESOME that show was. And I hadn't even watched it when I was young.

So, I was thinking...what if I did something kinda like Power Rangers?

Well, what makes the Power Rangers cool?

Kung-fu!
Weird bad guys!
Motercycle helmets!
MORPHING TIME!
Rocking out to the sound track!
Teenagers that look 21!

What if I did something like the Power Rangers? But I can't just rip off the Power Rangers...I'll have to add something to it. People love subversion! And I've already got the perfect system of "have friends, give them powers, kick ass". SO the subversion should be in the villains.

Then I thought, what if they were supposed to defend the universe from an excess of good and evil? And they get told this, and think, "Oh, hey, fun!" and agree...only to find out that it's EVIL that they're fighting for, as good is getting too good at it's job (snerk).

That could get really dark.

How much do I want subversion and how much do I want homage? Cause I love the goofy feel good punchathon of the Power Rangers, with lots of melodrama. I'm a lot like Sam Raimi in that way (Except I don't have actors to drench in gore).

Sam Raimi...

Army of Darkness was cool.

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!

Combine? What if they were the Power Rangers, but they were also major slackers, like how Ash wasn't really all that heroic in either Evil Dead 1, 2 or Army of Darkness.

No, that would not make them likable. Heh. What if I just did EXACTLY the same story as Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, but instead of brushing the fact that we have high schoolers who all have perfect lives (I mean, they were seriously in every after school program, did their homework on time constantly, and were in a martial arts dojo thing).

Oh wait, no, they already did that in Dino Force.

But, hey, Dino Force had Tommy JUMP KICKING A DINOSAUR IN THE FUCKING FACE.

Hmm

STUPID POWER RANGERS, WHY MUST YOU STEAL ALL THE GOOD IDEAS!

So, then I decided to shelve the idea until I could come up with a way to harmonize the subversion with the homage!

The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.