Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Good work, Lisa.

I just hit 8,000 K.

With these words.

I looked back at Lao. “All right, Lao, maybe I’m a good soldier. That doesn’t make me a good person. I don’t think the two overlap.”

Lao frowned and his face turned to a load of wrinkles. He looked ancient, in that moment. Now-a-days, medicine kept faces unwrinkled and organs ticking over well into the middle of a century these days. Heck, I could get new biological fingers – the thought made me feel irrationally terrified – and finger joints were complex. Not as complex as knees, but still a hard thing to grow in a vat. They were child’s play compared to hearts, and we’d been growing those since 2020. But none of that would change when someone wanted to look old. There was just something about how they could move their faces, set their lips, all of it that exuded old.

“I can tell you one thing, right now, Sergeant Xao,” He sighed. “You are dead wrong about that.”

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take a step back. I don't mean to sound so confrontational. It's just that studying law has taught me that shocking miscarriages of justice happen every year and our legal system disproportionately punishes the less privileged. Things are rarely as simple as conviction = guilt and criminal = evil. That's all. :)

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
When you say that, what I hear is, "If you're convicted of murder, which (a) includes completely innocent victims of hideous miscarriages of justice and (b) is substantially more likely if you're not an articulate, educated middle-class white person who can afford good lawyers, you deserve to be tortured in jail until you die."

No that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying actual guilty people, regardless or race, age, or sex. I know innocent people go to jail and that is a true crime and a horrible injustice showing the enefficency of the criminal justice system. But i'm not talking about the criminal justice system i'm talking about what should happen to the actual person who commited the crime. I'm talking about the person who did the horrible crime the actual guilty person, should be tortured in jail till they die.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Para as well. Maybe, if the justice system was more accurate, I'd have a different opinion. But at the moment?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take a step back. I don't mean to sound so confrontational. It's just that studying law has taught me that shocking miscarriages of justice happen every year and our legal system disproportionately punishes the less privileged. Things are rarely as simple as conviction = guilt and criminal = evil. That's all. :)

I agree with this...in most cases. There are some cases where the less privileged actually get off with a slap on the wrist because they're less privileged. But I also deal almost entirely with animal abuse cases where everyone gets off with a slap on the wrist no matter who they are.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to get the impression Zoom has a little thing for Para. ;)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ally, killing does not go against our natural instincts. Murder does. Murder of one's own child definitely does. There is a such thing as maternal instinct. Now, that doesn't always stop people from abandoning their child, but there's a difference between adopting an 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality and looking at the child as you murder them.

Also, sociopathy is definitely something 'wrong' with the brain. I'm not saying that all sociopaths are bad people, I'm saying that sociopathy is a condition that stems from something weird in the brain.

ETA: Sociopathy is defined as a personality disorder. Read: disorder. It's a problem.

Oh i know sociopathy is a mental disorder, they also have the inabiltiy to fell guilt or remosre (its a fasinating disorder not to sound weird, they pretty much in a nutshell dont fell fear) i was using that as an example of what part of the brain they run on. Anyway, to me murder isnt really different from killing, yes murder you had the intent but i dont believe the fact that you have the "intent" is a mental disorder, because then that would lead scientist to believe that the "intent to kill" could be genetic, which I believe it is utterly not.

As for maternal disorders, post pardom depression is a mental disorder, but the kid was 2 someone would have noticed she had that disorder or the kid would have been killed long before the age of 2. People do a lot of horrible messed up stuff to there kids sometimes even worst then death, which I really dont believe stems from a mental disorder.

i'm just big against mental disorder as a reason people murder because that is a big scientific debate, and i dont believe if your parent murders someone you are more likely to murder someone, i find murder and gentics completly unrelated. And when you say murder is a mental disorder, mental disorders have genetic factors. Although i will say this about the woman, there is something very wrong with her that she would kill that helpess adorable daughter of hers.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ally, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Although killing can include killing in self-defense, and that's not murder. If someone's raping you and you manage to slam their head extremely hard against something and they end up with irreversible and fatal brain damage, I don't qualify that as murder.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with this...in most cases. There are some cases where the less privileged actually get off with a slap on the wrist because they're less privileged. But I also deal almost entirely with animal abuse cases where everyone gets off with a slap on the wrist no matter who they are.

The house up the street that was going to be sold had 2 caged dogs in them. The owners left them behind with nothing. It was such a horrible site, they were just skin and bone the poor doggies, (they were really nice dogs too) Anyway they hunted down the owners to press charges just got a little fine! I was furious! Becuse "they couldnt bring pets to there new appartment" ARE YOU SERIOUS! so you just leave them!? Anyway dont know how you do it, i'd be to sad all day with the hurt animals.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ally, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Although killing can include killing in self-defense, and that's not murder. If someone's raping you and you manage to slam their head extremely hard against something and they end up with irreversible and fatal brain damage, I don't qualify that as murder.

Either do I, i wasnt thinking of self-defense, that never qualifies as murder to me, i was thinking of that lesser charge in american courts, I forget the degrees but its like where you kill someone and it wasnt an accident but its not consideried murder because you just killed someone and didnt plan it out... (if that makes any sense) That i still consider murder/killing someone.

ETA: out of work! yay going home

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys keep track of new replies?

I subscribed and use email notifications, but lately I keep missing them. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.